PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tire & wheel size .... Rating

Ski-me
06-26-2008, 06:55 PM
94' single axle prostar 205 trailer. What wheels and tires is common. I have "p" rated tires with a capacity of 1532 lbs max each tire. Is this addequate? Also, aren't most wheels rated for 1500 or 2000 lbs anyways?

I just wondering if I should have "lt" rated tires instead. I looked for a wheel capacity rating but couldn't find it. All I saw was 1994 so I'm assuming it's original from the factory.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if I'm safe to tow or not. Off to Idaho tomorrow evening so just checking.....

Thanks!

KRek
06-26-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm not a tire expert but trailer tires typically have an 'ST' designation as opposed to a 'P' or 'LT' for cars/trucks. Trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls and typically handle a higher load than passenger tires. I have virtually the same boat/trailer combo as you and I'm running ST215/75R14; load range C (1870 lbs). Trailers tend to sway quite a bit and put a lot of side-load on the tires. If you choose to continue towing on 'P' rating tires, you run the risk of blowing out a sidewall.

MMCCAR12
06-26-2008, 08:21 PM
How Much Does Your Boat Weigh And How Much Does Your Trailer Weigh ? Add Them Togeather And Divide By Two. If You Can You Should Give Yourself 150% On Your Tires.

Driving Conditions And Age Are Key Factors, But Always Use Trailer Tires For Long Hauls

Good Luck

east tx skier
06-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Many may argue that you can get away with passenger or light truck tires on a tandem axle trailer, but I'd say go with some trailer tires like GY marathons.

Ski-me
06-27-2008, 12:08 AM
I appreciate the help all. I know that the boat and trailer are somewhere near 3,000....most likely a little more....especially if there is gear in there.

To be safe, I think I'll swing by an put on a pair of trailer tires just for good measure. If it was a dual axle, I'd feel more comfortable but the single axle pretty much does it.

Thanks again. I've got my grease gun and it' the boat is ready to go!!

Next stop, Hayden Lake, ID!!

east tx skier
06-27-2008, 10:49 AM
I appreciate the help all. I know that the boat and trailer are somewhere near 3,000....most likely a little more....especially if there is gear in there.

To be safe, I think I'll swing by an put on a pair of trailer tires just for good measure. If it was a dual axle, I'd feel more comfortable but the single axle pretty much does it.

Thanks again. I've got my grease gun and it' the boat is ready to go!!

Next stop, Hayden Lake, ID!!

Definitely do it if it's a single axle. Weight without gear and fuel is probably closer to 3,500.