PDA

View Full Version : Polishing and Waxing

Tom Jones
04-17-2005, 08:03 PM
I just spent the better part of two days polishing and waxing my boat. I find the hard water spots really tough to get off so I usually have to use a more aggressive polish, then a cleaner wax. Lots of work.
I find I have to do it by hand as the orbital polisher just doesn't do a good enough job. Anyone got an easier way?

roddydog
04-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Try a marine orbital polisher, apparently they spin faster (Just heard this a few days ago so....)
I wonder if something like CLR on the tough spots would work, then clean seal and wax the sh** out of it.

BriEOD
04-17-2005, 08:27 PM
Orbital polishers are pretty slow. You need a circular polisher. I bought one this past offseason and did my boat. I was very impressed and it was very easy to use.

http://www.properautocare.com/makhigspeedp3.html

gordy
04-17-2005, 08:28 PM
What type of polisher are you using, a vibrating one or a high speed machine ( one say a detailer or body shop would use). A high speed unit with a good quality compound should take those spots right off..... unless the spots are some kind of chemical erosion issue and not just water spots. Just a thought (:

Tom Jones
04-17-2005, 08:29 PM
Never thought of trying CLR.
Any idea where one would find a marine orbital polisher? Guess I could try Boaters World.

BriEOD
04-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Tom--read this article. I bought a high speed polisher and a restoration kit off of this site. Actually, Diesel was the one that intially posted on this. It's a good article.

http://www.properautocare.com/gelcolaapgu.html

Tom Jones
04-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Which polisher model did you buy? Good article, I guess I have stayed away from the circular polishers as I was afraid of doing some damage to the gelcoat, but it looks like an neophite can do it if you keep the rev's down. I didn't know the rev's were adjustable. Does it work like a variable speed power drill?

Tom Jones
04-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Great article!

Thanks

BriEOD
04-17-2005, 08:57 PM
I bought the Vector professional. It was the least expensive one. It is adjustable I believe by x1000 rpms and has 6-8 speeds. I didn't have any problems at all with the boat. Actually, after the boat turned out so well I did both of my vehicles with it as well.