PDA

View Full Version : Ever try this on teak?

MooseMan
04-17-2005, 12:06 PM
http://store.nationalpaintsupply.net/arwoflco.html

I'm ready to try something other than teak oil - leave the boat in for about 6 months straight and the oil is gone in a few weeks.

Any other suggestions? I know this is a hot topic.

Thanks!

erkoehler
04-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Can't say I have!

sfitzgerald351
04-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Looks familar to Siekkens (sp?) or West Marine's Wood Pro which I use. It's not a varnish, but does last a long time. I had the same issue you did. I'd clean, sand, and oil my teak, but even after many coats of oil it wouldn't stay within a couple of weeks it'd dry out again. (From what I could tell the previous owner never oil the teak so it was a disaster) Used the Wood Pro and the first coat lasted 2 years with only some minor touch ups where the skis slide off the platform, etc... See my photos for a picture. I'll probably have to sand down and redo in a year or two, but it's WAY easier than oil and looks as good with very little work. After using this stuff I'll never go back to oil.

erkoehler
04-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Might be worth a try then....

kpickett
04-17-2005, 02:03 PM
I tried Teakguard this year. See this thread:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2073&highlight=teakguard

It's great - not oily and it is supposed to hold up for a year.

sfitzgerald351
04-17-2005, 02:28 PM
You'll have to post the results after a few months with the TeakGuard. I'll be interested to see if it holds up better than the WoodPro I used.

erkoehler
04-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Take some before and after photos of the platform when you do it.

MooseMan
04-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Scott - I think I'm going to take your suggestion of Wood Pro or try the Sikken's again. Your pictures were nice - I have the same boat as you so it gives me a good idea as to what it will look like.

I tried the Sikken's a few years ago but only did one coat. I would try the teakguard but the reading I did about it suggests that imperfections in my teak might produce poor results.

I'll do some before and afters for everyone.

sfitzgerald351
04-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Looking forward to the pictures. I think I put on 3 coats of the Wood Pro as they recommended to get a nice even coverage. Hope it works for you!

SKI*MC
04-17-2005, 11:43 PM
I would stay with teak oil, we tried stain, it lasted one outing to the lake! Our teak seems to last...

sfitzgerald351
04-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Like a normal outdoor wood stain, like you'd put on a deck or house? Or was it a Sikkens like product?

Star92
04-18-2005, 12:09 AM
I just finished removing a varnish type coating from my teak platform which was applied by the previous owner. Like was stated before, alot of cursing was going on. I will never put anything on my platform again, but oil. The varnish may look good when it's first put on , but it sure looks bad after a few scratches. I highly recommend oil or something which is nothing like varnish. My platform looks new today, looked like junk yesterday. Just my opinion though.

RackAtak
04-18-2005, 12:43 AM
I just finished oiling mine. It was very gray and weathered when I started. I used West Marine teak cleaner (3 applications) and then used West Marine teak brightener. I ended up power sanding the deck and then applied 3 coats of Starbright Premium Teak Oil. The deck now has a deep, rich brown finish. It looks really good and is nice and smooth.

sfitzgerald351
04-18-2005, 12:58 AM
Just so we're all clear here. Sikkens or Wood Pro isn't varnish. Nothing even close. Wood Pro allows the wood to breath and gets absorbed into the wood just like oil... but it lasts longer. When it wears out you recoat just like you wood oil, give it a good cleaning and recoat. If you look in my profile you'll see what my platform looks like with the Wood Pro after 2 years of use and no touch ups. If you look closely you can see where the skis have worn the finish away a bit, but for zero maintenance for two years it looks pretty darn good to me. Especially since I never suceeded in getting the platform to not dry out when using oil... I'd really like to ask the previous owners what they did or didn't do because I've never seen teak shed oil so fast after being prepped properly.

Here's the link to the Wood Pro product
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=72431

Leroy
04-18-2005, 01:02 AM
Hmmmmmmm, looks nice, ok, will look deeper, I have the same problem, clean, sand, teak oil, and then within 2-4 weeks looks like crap.

Just so we're all clear here. Sikkens or Wood Pro isn't varnish. Nothing even close. Wood Pro gets absorbed into the wood just like oil... but it lasts longer. When it wears out you recoat just like you wood oil, give it a good cleaning and recoat. If you look in my profile you'll see what my platform looks like with the Wood Pro after 2 years of use and no touch ups. If you look closely you can see where the skis have worn the finish away a bit, but for zero maintenance for two years it looks pretty darn good to me. Especially since I never suceeded in getting the platform to not dry out when using oil... I'd really like to ask the previous owners what they did or didn't do because I've never seen teak shed oil so fast after being prepped properly.

H20skeefreek
04-18-2005, 08:45 AM
mmmmm.....woodpro......good. gotta love it, wish everyone would use it.

erkoehler
04-29-2005, 04:36 AM
Teak on the back can definetly make or break a boats appearance. It also shows who truly cares and maintains there boats.

sfitzgerald351
04-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Definitely, nothing worse than grey, dried out wood. And it splinters too! :eek:

AirJunky
04-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Definitely, nothing worse than grey, dried out wood. And it splinters too! :eek:
Ain't that the truth..... and exactly I don't mess with it anymore.

Granite_33
04-29-2005, 10:51 PM
Amen to the oil........I kept thinking that I was doing something wrong....the teak would go gray in about 4-6 weeks..... :mad:

My dealer mentioned Deks Olje. Anyone ever tried it? They swear by it, and showed me about 30+/- platforms that were stacked up waiting to be done. They said that everyone who had it done with the Deks was very satisfied.

Given that the platform is ready to go already, I don't need to do it this spring. We'll see how it wears through the year. :cool: