PDA

View Full Version : Heater leaking

VOLFAN
06-26-2008, 12:19 AM
OK so I found my leak... The heater is leaking! If I am correct I traced the hose back to the engine where there is a valve. I am guessing wam water runs from there through the heater. My question is for a quick fix can I turn that valve off to prevent the leaking until I get ready to replace the heater?

cwright
06-26-2008, 01:13 AM
That is what I did. Also, I'm not sure what vintage you're working with here, but I removed my heater box (1988 PS190), drilled out the rivets, removed the core and took it to a radiator shop to match it. They were able to. Save the rubber stuff around the core. I re wrapped the new core with the old rubber stuff, put it back in the aluminum box, re-rivetted, and put it back in. No leaks and my heater works great. i think the core was around 60 bucks. If that sounds unattractive, you can buy a whole new box ready to mount from heatercraft, or skidim.

Good luck

VOLFAN
06-26-2008, 01:20 AM
I have a 2003 X2. The heater is mounted up in front of the drivers seat.

If I can just turn that valve off and that will stop my leaking I will be a happy camper! All that water has been pissing me off!

bigmac
06-26-2008, 01:34 AM

If I can just turn that valve off and that will stop my leaking I will be a happy camper! All that water has been pissing me off!

Turning the valve off didn't work for me - you get some back pressure from the other line. Go cut the hoses off right at the heater core and connect them with some barbed tubing and hose clamps. It will work fine until you can get ahold of HeaterCraft and get a new core. The new cores are much better made than the one you have (which is the same one I had). You may get advice to get it soldered at a radiator shop - won't work - the old core is fundamentally a piece of crap. You may also get advice to get the core matched at NAPA. Good luck with that- I haven't seen anyone yet that could get the inlet/outlet tubes to match the grey box used on the later-model boats. IMHO, easier and far less headache to just buy a new grey box from SkiDim or HeaterCraft.

Note that, in addition to the hose clamps, MasterCraft for some reason thought that it would also be a good idea to glue the hoses to the barbs of the core. If your boat is like my 2004, they won't slip off.

cbfitzner
06-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Yes. That will stop your leak. Was the boat winterized properly? It is really common in the spring to find a leaking heater if you did not blow your lines out with compressed air and even blow some antifreeze through. The heater core has really small lines in it that can hold water that freezes then cracks the core.

VOLFAN
06-26-2008, 02:03 PM
That is probably what happened. I winterized it and figured the anitfreez I ran through the boat went that way too. Next time I will know huh?

lawless1
06-26-2008, 02:15 PM
I had the same thing happen to me this year. Heatercraft is easy to work with and lucky for me, is only about 30 to 40 miles away from where i live.

www.heatercraft.com

bigmac
06-26-2008, 03:29 PM
That is probably what happened. I winterized it and figured the anitfreez I ran through the boat went that way too. Next time I will know huh?

There's a detachable coupling - nylon double barb with a couple of hose clamps on one of the heater hoses (output line) lying in the bilge. I have replaced that with a flushing T. In winterizing, I just hook up a pump and pump -100 propylene glycol antifreeze through the heater until I can hear it spashing back through the return line.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/hand-pump-kit.jpg http://www.prestone.com/enlarged/images/prestoneAccessories2.jpg

TOO-TALL
06-27-2008, 11:34 PM

Yes, you can just turn the valve and shut the water off to the core.I have the same boat and when my core was leaking thats what I did.You might have to turn it in and back out a few times.to get all the sedement out of the valve.I also took my heater out and removed the core.Took it too a radiator repair shop and they had a core in stock for like 55 bucks.Put it in and it works great.The guy at the shop told me the core is out of a 79"GMC van with no A/C go figure......

TOO-TALL
06-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Also when I winterized I disconected the hoses and blew in one end till all water was out.Then ran antifreeze threw the system.