PDA

View Full Version : dirty carpet...help

astepka
06-25-2008, 01:45 PM
I have a 2003 x30 with grey carpet. It has some light to med. brown dirty spots on the carpet. Since it is "marine carpet" what should I do to clean it? Are there any special cleaners to use? Should I have the carpet cleaner people that do my home do it? I have heard and noticed at home when you use products like "spot shot" and others sometimes they get the spot out BUT then 1 of 2 things happen: the carpet either 1. discolors to a lighter shade or 2. that spot that you cleaned attracks dirt like a magnet. Maybe the owner before me did the 2nd and now its just sticking dirt to those spots????
Anybody got the answer??? :confused: thanks.

astepka
06-25-2008, 06:00 PM
any ideas out there?

bigmac
06-25-2008, 06:04 PM
On my previous boat, I used to use a pressure washer. Worked great.

Don't forget to remove the boat's drain plug.

flipper
06-25-2008, 06:04 PM
I use a pressure washer on mine. Use some dish soap, laundry soap, or carpet cleaner with brush if need be, and pressure wash it off. Never had a problem yet. I'd try what ever you use is a spot that you can't see first to be safe.

HDAVIS
06-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Go to Autozone and pick up some Blue Coral. This is great on spots. Just spray the spot, let it sit a min. or so and use the attached brush.

TX.X-30 fan
06-25-2008, 10:15 PM
On my previous boat, I used to use a pressure washer. Worked great.

Don't forget to remove the boat's drain plug.

Do you do this with the boat level and try to get the water down the center plug, or push all the water out the bilge drain??

kjb
06-25-2008, 10:46 PM
i spray, spray-9 on my carpet and then use the pressure washer, works great

east tx skier
06-25-2008, 11:11 PM
I use Tide (no bleach) and warm water in a bucket. Work that into the carpet with a brush, then pressure wash into the bilge. I always spray the carpet with a well diluted solution of fabric softener and water, let it sit for about 15 minutes, then rinse that with the pressure washer. I'm told this will help the carpet nap (sp) fluff up a bit. Afterwards, I suck up the excess water with a wet dry vac and let it dry in the sun.

bigmac
06-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Do you do this with the boat level and try to get the water down the center plug, or push all the water out the bilge drain??
I just pulled the rear drain plug and took the boat for a little ride on the highway. The soapy water also did a nice job of cleaning up the bilge.

TX.X-30 fan
06-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks bigmac.

dsoby
06-26-2008, 10:45 AM
I used oxiclean and a brush last weekend and am very happy with the results.

TX.X-30 fan
06-26-2008, 02:42 PM
I used oxiclean and a brush last weekend and am very happy with the results.

Is this a pic of you?? 8p

wakeX2wake
06-26-2008, 02:46 PM
if you brush in resolve carpet cleaner then pressure wash it will really fluff the carpet back up and be very nice

astepka
06-26-2008, 02:52 PM
thanks. Lots of good ideas.

I was wondering how many posts it would take before somebody through in that "bad die job on his beard" guy from TV. oxiclean & the other "how am I gonna live" if I don't buy these products. They may be good stuff...BUT Dude...go grey or shave or something...that color is ruining my 52" flat screen TV. ha ha

Seriously, thanks for all the ideas, we are gonna start with mild soap,a brush, and warm water, then pressure wash and that should do the trick. If that doesn't do it then I will go to my neighbors house to watch "Oximan" and order it, and the washing machine balls and the bra buddy for the wife and a shamWOW and so on till my credit card maxs' out.

topdog
07-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Go to the quarter car wash and use the power washer. It works great

JohnE
07-21-2008, 06:30 PM
On my 197 I used to use my Rug Doctor. It would fit right around the motor box. I think that in the OP you were right on with regard to dirt sticking to extra soap left in the carpet. My 197 was used and they were detailing it when I picked it up. Carpet got dirty quick. I used the Rug Doctor with just water - no soap. It foamed like crazy which meant that there was definitely a lot of excess soap in it. When it was done it looked great. I'd then do it every few weeks with just water and it stayed looking great.

Muttley
07-21-2008, 07:17 PM
I borrowed a bud's Bissel hot water carpet cleaner. Worked like a charm.

FrankSchwab
07-22-2008, 02:08 AM
I just drag my boat (plug out) to the local self-serve car wash. A couple of minutes on soap with the pressure washer, 5 minutes on "rinse", and a day with the cover off and a couple fans blowing (into the engine bay, etc) leaves things nice and clean...all ready for the kids to spread pretzels on the next trip.

/frank

jimmer2880
07-24-2008, 08:54 AM
After you get the carpet good and soaked (either from skiing/boarding, or pressure washing), just shop-vac the water out. You'd be surprised how much grime just doing that works.

shepherd
04-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Spring cleaning time.

Go to the quarter car wash and use the power washer. It works great

I think I'm going to try this today. Sounds a lot easier than my old method -- hand scrub with hot water and dish soap on my hands and knees, rinse with copious amounts of water from the garden hose, suck the excess water out with the shop vac. It worked good though.

On my 197 I used to use my Rug Doctor. It would fit right around the motor box. I think that in the OP you were right on with regard to dirt sticking to extra soap left in the carpet. My 197 was used and they were detailing it when I picked it up. Carpet got dirty quick.

I was wondering if there was some product, like Scotchgard, that you could spray on your carpet to help prevent stains. Anybody tried that?

TX.X-30 fan
04-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Lazy......... :D

TMCNo1
04-25-2009, 12:48 PM
For showroom-clean auto, boat, and RV interiors turn to the cleaning experts. No matter where you spend your time, make sure you’re getting the most out of your living space with Stanley Steemer.
One stop shopping, http://www.stanleysteemer.com/Home/ResidentialServices/CarpetCleaning/CarpetProtection.aspx

shepherd
04-25-2009, 03:16 PM
For showroom-clean auto, boat, and RV interiors turn to the cleaning experts. No matter where you spend your time, make sure you’re getting the most out of your living space with Stanley Steemer.
One stop shopping, http://www.stanleysteemer.com/Home/ResidentialServices/CarpetCleaning/CarpetProtection.aspx

Thanks Mr. Mays. :rolleyes:

shepherd
04-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Lazy......... :D

Don't you have a bilge to wax???

TX.X-30 fan
04-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Don't you have a bilge to wax???

I am halfway through armor-all-ing my speaker wires. :D

ntidsl
04-29-2009, 11:28 AM
I just went out and bought a bissel carpet cleaner for my boat. I'm going to try it every few weeks. I have never used a pressure washer as I'm always worried about the grime flying up and getting stuck elsewhere in the boat, places i cant get to...anyone ever have a problem with that?

I'll send before and after pictures after using the bissel machine. My fingers are crossed.

Patrick Hardy
04-29-2009, 03:08 PM
In the eleven years that I have own my 190, I have tried every type of cleaning product...even the Mr. Mays stuff...both by hand and by pressure washer...I thought that it looked as clean as I could get it... about four years ago I started to use a StanleySteemer type of carpet cleaner with the cleaning fluid...I was completely shocked by how much dirt and grim came out of my carpet the first time I used it...it is definitely the easiest and best way to clean your boat carpets IMHO.

ntidsl
04-30-2009, 10:23 AM
sweet...I'm excited to use my new carpet cleaner...first thing friday!!!

ntidsl
05-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Wow...sorry no photos as I forgot my camera but for all you clean freaks check this out.

I hoses my boat out real good first nice and easy just to soak the carpet...

i didnt like the idea of pressure washer as the dirt could blow up and get wedged in between upholsery and fiberglass or whatever...

Last week i bought a new Bissel green clean...like a carpet steamer...you just use a cleaning solution and hot water...its was small almost small enough to keep on the boat...but strong enough to suck all the water and dirty right out of the carpet....it took about 5 minutes to fill the "dirty" tank which I just dumped into the grass and kept sucking....

7 tanks of dirty water later my carpet was as clean as the unexposed carpet in the lockers...

It was grey again, not brown, it was fluffy and it smelled good.

I was shocked...for $80.00 I got prefectly clean carpet and it was so easy i can do it monthly....

damaged442
05-04-2009, 10:40 AM
If ya don't mind me asking, which Bissell machine did you buy? I was thinking about something like that for the boat and the cars.

ntidsl
05-04-2009, 11:38 AM
i think its called green clean...its at my other house right now but i got it at home depot for $80.00...great purchase...dont even worry about vacuum the carpet first...its a machine

ntidsl
05-04-2009, 11:47 AM
here you go

damaged442
05-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Nice! Thanks!

ntidsl
05-05-2009, 09:07 AM
how is it that my 05 has more hours than your 89?????