PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Driving/Show ski drivers?

erkoehler
04-17-2005, 01:20 AM
Is there anyone on here that is familiar with the requirements to be a tournament boat driver?

I am looking for something to occupy my time with this summer other than skiing myself, so I thought it would be fun to do some driving for the tournaments and possibly even find a show ski team in need of a driver.

I have been reading up on it, and have talked with 6balls on some stuff. I know you have to be a member of USA waterski for EVERYTHING and am now a member. I have also read that you need to take some sort of certification test. This is where my questions begin...:

Where do you get information for the test?
When is it offered?
Where is it offered?

Anybody that can share there experiences or help me get my foot in the door let me know!

Thanks!

Mag_Red
04-17-2005, 08:17 AM
6Balls can help you :wavey:

André
04-17-2005, 09:19 AM
I would check with AWSA.

erkoehler
04-17-2005, 02:54 PM
I will check the awsa site.

Keep the info coming...

rmc1
04-17-2005, 05:47 PM
first you need to go to some tournaments and talk with the drivers who are already driving. They can give you some insite on what it takes to become a driver. To become qualified to drive you must do certain things before you can take attend a clinic. To get an application you can go to the usawaterski site and print one off. Good luck and when you are ready to drive I will probbly see you at a tournament or two.

erkoehler
04-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Are you a driver yourself? What is your experience with it? Good/Bad?

rmc1
04-18-2005, 05:37 AM
I am not a driver. I am a water ski judge tht works alot of tournaments.
I know that the one who drive enjoy it, but it takes a lot of hard work. You need to attend alot of tournaments, it is not just the driving, but in order for the skiers to feel comfortable with your driving, especially in teh jump event. As for why I don't drive, I never had the desire, I drove all week in training my kids and I found that I liked the judging ( center seat) more. Either way driving or judging it is a great sport to be involved with

Ski-A-Rees
04-18-2005, 08:09 AM
You can ask anyone about how they became a show ski driver but if you are joining a club, every club has their own way. At my club, you have to be a skier for a year before you can drive. Then you take a written quiz on regular boat driving. After that, you have to pull several act's with the person who is head of boat driving including all act's with dock starts and deep starts. Then you can become a USA waterski qualitified driver. I also believe it's to your advantage to have a U.S. Coast Guard boaters license. Hope this helps!

erkoehler
04-18-2005, 03:55 PM
I have emailed a couple clubs in Northern WI that I am familiar with, and am waiting on some feedback.

I know there are some clubs up there that don't usually have permanent boat driver because most of the members want to ski. I am hoping to get into one of those clubs so I can just drive!

I think I am going to attend the safety clinic in May, which would allow me to get a temporary learners permit to drive w/ club approval.