PDA

View Full Version : boat wont start


ac1570
06-23-2008, 11:35 PM
I have a 1977 invader 165 hp mercruiser straight 6 inboard/outboard. I replaced the battery, the batt. connections, the starter sylinoid, checked the points, checked the firing order, checked the plugs and plug connections, adn checked the ground for currosion... The boat sounds like it has a low battery still when I try and start it. Every 5-8 time I try and start it, it actually does, but the rest of the time it sounds like I have a dead battery. What else could be wrong?

erkoehler
06-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Where are you located in the MidWest? I would suggest taking it in to a dealer to have it looked at.

Hunterb
06-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Very likely this is a starter problem. Take it out and have it checked. Almost certainly needs a rebuild or replacement.

Bruce

Jesus_Freak
06-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Welcome. Until a couple of years ago, I towed my family around in a '78 invader with the same 165 merc. So, every 5-8th time the starter/engine sounds totally different, or the engine just fires. Do you have an ammeter or voltmeter?

damaged442
06-24-2008, 01:05 PM
I think the best way to fix the problem would be to purchase an MC. Seriously though, I had a similar problem with my 77 Oldsmobile. Even with a fully charged battery, it would still not turn the car over. It began with symptoms like you are describing. Turns out it was the starter drawing too many amps. Normal should draw 180-210 amps, mine was drawing over 500. I replaced the starter and everything was OK. Good luck.

sdesmond
06-24-2008, 01:14 PM
I agree with the starter Sounds like the problem I had at the beginning of the season. I was acting like a dead battery. I got it rebuilt and it was good to go.

JimN
06-24-2008, 01:40 PM
If the starter is original, I seriously think it's time to have it checked. Look for a good rebuilder in your area and have them check it for current draw. One thing many people never do is lube the Bendix. If this freezes, a lot of current is wasted in trying to move it and this tends to burn the contacts, which means they get really hot, burn further and keep the starter motor form getting the current it needs. It's a vicious circle and will take out the battery and what's left of the starter if you keep trying to crank it.