View Full Version : Dang Gators!

coz
06-23-2008, 10:53 PM
Or kids? :confused:

Man lost arm to gator yesterday, arm recovered today
Reported by: WPTV staff
Email: webteam@wptv.com
Last Update: 6:05 pm

(Associated Press) OKEECHOBEE, FL -- An 18-year-old attempted to swim across a canal near Lake Okeechobee despite warnings from friends and lost his arm to an 11-foot alligator.

Okeechobee Sheriffs Office responded to a call of a man being attacked by an alligator early Sunday morning.

Once on scene, investigators learned that victim, 18-year-old Kasey Edwards, had been at the "Nubbin Slough" with friends when he decided to try and swim across a canal.

Halfway across the canal, a gator approached Edwards and bit him on the left arm, pulling him underwater.

Edwards was able to grab hold of the buoys strung across the canal, which kept the gator from pulling him under a second time.

Edwards' arm was completely severed due to the attack but he was able to swim across the east end of the canal and was pulled to safety .

Florida Fish and Wildlife responded to the scene, and eventually pulled the 11-foot gator out of the water.

The alligator was euthanized, and during a necropsy, investigators found Edwards' arm. The arm was not in a condition that would allow it to be surgically reattached.

http://www.wptv.com/media/news/a/3/6/a3668322-2ba3-4edc-8326-e28de4d5e647/Original.jpg

flipper
06-23-2008, 11:08 PM
I don't get it...the kid went into gator land, got his arm ate, and the gator get killed!!! The kid is the dumb one!

trickskier
06-24-2008, 06:33 AM
You Can't blame the gator on this one. Lake Okeechobee is part of the Everglades. It is the largest lake in Florida and the second largest freshwater lake in the United States. Its name means "big water" in the Seminole language. Although large in surface area, Lake Okeechobee is shallow and probably contains less than two cubic miles of water. Average depth is only 10 feet.

Lake Okeechobee is not a swimming or ski lake. It is a habitat for wildlife, ESPECIALLY ALLIGATORS!!! I'm sorry but the kid was a fool.

Here's a pic of what most of the lake looks like.

TMCNo1
06-24-2008, 06:39 AM
And just think, they live among us and breed and I don't mean the gators!

trickskier
06-24-2008, 06:49 AM
And just think, they live among us and breed and I don't mean the gators!

You really have to wonder sometimes..........................:rolleyes:

T Scott
06-24-2008, 07:50 AM
You Can't blame the gator on this one.

I agree Tricky.....not the gators fault. This kid jumped into a small canal and was swimming in what was probably very murky water. The gator probably thought the kid was a deer or dog or some other food source or was protecting a nearby nest. Trickskier is right, Lake Okeechobee is not really even a lake, it is more of a swamp. And as Skidog always says.....don't mess with Gators in the Swamp!

coz
06-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Probably one of these near by and against his friends warnings :rolleyes: yep! it ain't the gators fault

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2417/2426415456_4edf56b8b6_o.jpg

ShamrockIV
06-24-2008, 08:29 AM
life is really tough if you are STUPID!!!!!

wakeX2wake
06-24-2008, 09:21 AM
nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool

H20BOY
06-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Just think of the story he will be telling everyone he meets from now on. The sad thing is I doubt it starts with, "I was an idiot and jump into a lake with gators..."

Willski
06-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Cool way to lose an arm. Makes for a good bar story!

Guess I shouldn't joke about a guy that lost his arm, but you have think about what you're doing!!

trickskier
06-24-2008, 02:10 PM
I saw him on TV this morning................Left arm is gone almost to his shoulder.

shepherd
06-24-2008, 05:09 PM
I recently browsed through the Florida alligator attack database: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/sfl-gator-database,0,902906.htmlpage

Not surprisingly, there are a lot of dumb people out there -- like people who will go swimming in a canal, even knowing there is a big gator in there! :noface:

On a positive note, there is only one documented attack of a waterskier being bitten. It was a simple, minor bite-and-release by a small gator while the skier was waiting to be picked up by the boat in 2 feet of water. Happened back in the '80s I think, in Daytona.

Well, I'm off to play with the gators in our lake... See ya :D

atlfootr
06-24-2008, 06:16 PM
IMHO it should be the kid that gets
euthanized, NOT the gator.

And the gator should get to finish Edwards' arm due to the condition of it not
begin allowed to surgically be reattached.
:twocents:

flipper
06-24-2008, 06:18 PM
IMHO it should be the kid that gets
euthanized, NOT the gator.

And the gator should get to finish Edwards' arm due to the condition of it not
begin allowed to surgically be reattached.
:twocents:

I'm with ya on that!!!:uglyhamme

JohnE
06-24-2008, 08:30 PM
I still don't know how y'all ski with those gators. And with the only skier attack going back to the '80's, wwll I think your due...:D

Good bet it will be around July 18 if a couple of yanks come down for a pull.:o

T Scott
06-24-2008, 08:42 PM
I still don't know how y'all ski with those gators. And with the only skier attack going back to the '80's, wwll I think your due...:D

I still don"t know how you deal with blizzards, sleet, snow and frozen lakes. 8p I bet more people die as a result of foul weather (snow related) than from gator attacks.

trickskier
06-24-2008, 08:49 PM

Just don't wear a chicken necklace....................;)

SkiDog
06-24-2008, 08:55 PM

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

Footin
06-24-2008, 09:02 PM
All of us Buckeye's say "Those darn Gators"!

trickskier
06-24-2008, 09:07 PM
All of us Buckeye's say "Those darn Gators"!
And that's a GOOD THING..................8p

Doug G
06-24-2008, 11:17 PM

Yeah they prefer garlic for a little seasoning ;)

shepherd
06-25-2008, 09:56 AM
The guy was being interviewed on Good Morning America and The Today Show this morning. He doesn't get it does he? I'd be too embarassed to go on TV.

"yeah, I guess I was stupid..." :rolleyes:

ShamrockIV
06-25-2008, 10:02 AM
The guy was being interviewed on Good Morning America and The Today Show this morning. He doesn't get it does he? I'd be too embarassed to go on TV.

yeah i guess he does not realize everyone is like "look at this dumb@$$!!!!"

ttu
06-25-2008, 10:03 AM

shep, i saw him also this morning on tv. he's was like " oh well, life goes on":rolleyes:

at least the report admitted that the teens were out partying getting drunk.:D

wakeX2wake
06-25-2008, 10:07 AM
i feel like a bit of a jerk for posting this but... its no worse than what's already been said...

if it were one of my friends who had done that... i'd have driven him to the hospital saying "i told you so" the whole way

Jim@BAWS
06-25-2008, 10:32 AM
i feel like a bit of a jerk for posting this but... its no worse than what's already been said...

if it were one of my friends who had done that... i'd have driven him to the hospital saying "i told you so" the whole way

I bet that his next step is to collect DISABILITY...you just watch
he will probably get it !!!

Jim@BAWS

ShamrockIV
06-25-2008, 11:31 AM

actually i would have said "how did that $hit work out for u????" the whole way!!!

then from that day on i am sure the pegleg, long john silver, "hey dude where is ur parrot?", "aarrrrrghhh!!!!" blasts would always be present!!!!!

wakeX2wake
06-25-2008, 11:34 AM
actually i would have said "how did that $hit work out for u????" the whole way!!!

then from that day on i am sure the pegleg, long john silver, "hey dude where is ur parrot?", "aarrrrrghhh!!!!" blasts would always be present!!!!!
BAAAHAHAHAHAHA

wrong...

so wrong

wakeX2wake
06-25-2008, 11:35 AM
I bet that his next step is to collect DISABILITY...you just watch
he will probably get it !!!

Jim@BAWS

probably... hey be an idiot and get your arm ripped off by a gator and the government will pay for you the rest of your life

ShamrockIV
06-25-2008, 11:35 AM
BAAAHAHAHAHAHA

wrong...

so wrong

maybe so ut you know he would hear it unmercifully!!!!

tell him to make the gator swallow a alarm clock!!! lol

mlay
06-25-2008, 01:51 PM
I see stupid people...they are all around me...and they don't even know their stupid. No fault on the gator's part