PDA

View Full Version : Planning a trip to NE in 2009

lanier92prostar
06-23-2008, 10:51 PM
I know several of you live in the Northeast. I am planning a trip next summer to visit Niagra Falls, the Finger Lakes region of NY and up state Maine. We will be passing through Vermont and NH. Anyone have ideas of sites to see other than the main tourist attractions? I am planning on between 21 and 25 days. We will be pulling a large RV. Thanks for any help, at some of the resort areas, you have to make reservations at least a year in advance.
Jef

mayo93prostar
06-23-2008, 11:26 PM
the chain lakes in the adirondacks near old forge are great places for camping. I went there many years ago when I was a kid. I think we put our boat on 7th lake. In the finger lakes region, Honeoye Lake is a small lake that is not considered one of the five main "Finger Lakes" but it is one of the smaller ones that you can put a boat on and it is small enough that the skiing is better than on the bigger ones. I grew up on this lake and it is great for skiing. However, I do not know of any places to camp near the lake. there is only one boat launch on the south end of the lake. Have a good trip and have fun planning.

damaged442
06-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Niagara Falls is nice, but the Canadian side is much better, IMO.
As far as the Finger Lakes are concerned, Skaneateles Lake is by the far the most beautiful. Ther are great places to eat on the north end. Rosalie's and the Blue Water Grill come to mind. Seneca Lake, Cayuga Lake, and Keuka Lake are best known for their wineries and are all a great time. Canandaigua Lake is quite clear too and there is an MC dealer in town. With some of these lakes it is quite eerie being able to see bottom in 40 + feet of water. There are lots of great things to see in the area. Watkins Glen racetrack is nearby, if you're into that sort of thing.
In Syracuse there are lots of good places to stop and eat (or drink) I could give you a list a mile long. As Mayo87prostar mentioned, there are lots of great places around Old Forge in the Adirondacks too. I know friends of mine camp out at Nick's Lake and Lake Durant, which are right nearby. (no skiing though) I ski on Brantingham Lake, which is a private lake west of there. I would recommend driving thru the 'Dacks to get to VT, there are fantastic places along the way. I'd hit up Lake Placid too. Great scenery, good eats and drinks. If you need anything more specific, I can try to help you out. Feel free to PM me.

loeweb
06-24-2008, 12:51 AM
When I first read the title I thought NE meant Nebraska. Sorry. Carry on.