PDA

View Full Version : Scuba Eqipment

Dan K
06-23-2008, 09:49 PM
I thought given everyones love of water some of you may be experienced divers. I just sign up for certification classes and have begun the prowl for equipment. Does anyone have any guidance ? I am particularly concerned about wet suits, I heard there are custom suits that can be had for less than the dive shop varieties.

BriEOD
06-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Ask away if you have questions.

Excel wetsuits typically dumps the previous years models pretty cheap. Mainly, they make surfing wetsuits, so the cuts are athletic. They work fine for diving.

WTRSK1R
06-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Depending on where you plan to dive, you may want to concentrate on your regulator and dive computer first. I have gotten so that the only place I dive is when I travel, and I typically only bring mask, fins, snorkel, and regulator when I travel. I have seen lots of people who will bring their whole gear bag, but from my perspective, that is overkill. Of course, the other thing is since I have not dove anywhere that required a wetsuit in many years, I would not recomend even buying one. I do have an off the shelf suit, and it has gotten lots of use in years past, but I dove in a tropical area once about 10 years ago and have not dove in cold water since.

Enjoy, it is a great sport and if you get a chance to dive some of the tropical reefs, you will swear you are in the middle of Finding Nemo.

G-man
06-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Check out scubatoys.com my son use to work there ex Naui instuctor here I have been lucky and out of the box suits fit me fine.

conway400
06-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Congrats! It is a lot of fun. My boys and best friend are getting certified this weekend (they take their written tests tomorrow). I got certified in 1981.

I agree with WTRSK1R, after trying whatever because it was new and exciting, we only dive where it is nice. Haven't needed, wanted, or used a wetsuit in years. Buy good personal equipment - don't skimp on that.

bmeth11
06-24-2008, 09:03 AM
congrats... been certified now for 10 yrs... you will love it! let me get to the house today and i'll check all my equipment and get you a list of what i've got...

BrianM
06-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Check out scubatoys.com my son use to work there ex Naui instuctor here I have been lucky and out of the box suits fit me fine.

Scuba Toys is great. They have awesome service and prices and are not a gray market gear shop like many of the others online stores are..

I would highly recommend that besides your mask, fins, snorkel and boots that you hold off buying the rest of your dive equipment for a bit. Rent from a local shop that rents good gear. Go out on some dives and get a feel for the features and things that you like. Ask lots of questions of all the divers you talk to. I had quite a few dives under my belt before I bought my own equipment but when I did purchase I really bought stuff that worked for me the first time. Dive shops really try to push you to buy all of your equipment right away because they know the amount of divers getting certified that actually stay diving regularly is very low.

pkskier
06-24-2008, 10:09 AM
I agree with initially just buying mask, fins, snorkel & booties, rent and check out all that is out there. I would then concentrate on bc, regulator & dive computer. When we go to Mexico we just take our mask, fins, snorkel, booties and regulator & computer and rent the bc, it makes it easier to travel.

Dan K
06-24-2008, 11:33 AM
I am glad to see so many others interested in the sport and appreciate your advice. You are right about the dive shop pushing equipment, they believe that if you invest right away you are more likely to continue to dive. Living in Michigan I will undoubtadly put a suit to use for skiing and diving if that is possible.

Let's talk fins for a minute. Is there any experience using split fins ? They seem to be more efficient but I have also heard they blow out with increased drag. I am 200+ pounds and with the equipment drag I am afraid they may be too soft. Any toughts or suggestions, Fins definately appear to be cheaper online.

I really am looking forward to getting certified and some tropical dives.

stuartmcnair
06-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Make sure you get a regulator with a lifetime guarantee...and check whether the guarantee is for you or it. :)

I have a wetsuit but have never worn it. I usually dive in the Bahamas, Cozumel or Belize so it is plenty warm.

BrianM
06-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Dan K. Go check out www.scubaboard.com It is an excellent site that gets tons of traffic. Lots of threads over there about all kinds of equipment. Great resource in the diving community.

Dan K
06-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Dan K. Go check out www.scubaboard.com It is an excellent site that gets tons of traffic. Lots of threads over there about all kinds of equipment. Great resource in the diving community.

Thanks for the link sounds like they are a great resource. Maybe I can get 500 posts over there if I start a 'buying a new boat' thread.