PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock Carb Suggestion

thwack
06-23-2008, 11:32 AM
I have a 79 MC with a 351-W and a Holley 4160 carb. I've rebuilt the carb and what a nightmare that turned out to be. In talking to Holley, it sounds like I have a warped metering block causing air to create a syphon effect, flooding my carb. I have to order a new carb and would like to go with and Edelbrock. Any suggestions on what Edelbrock carb to install (600 CFM - 4bbl)?

BrianM
06-23-2008, 11:35 AM
I have a 79 MC with a 351-W and a Holley 4160 carb. I've rebuilt the carb and what a nightmare that turned out to be. In talking to Holley, it sounds like I have a warped metering block causing air to create a syphon effect, flooding my carb. I have to order a new carb and would like to go with and Edelbrock. Any suggestions on what Edelbrock carb to install (600 CFM - 4bbl)?

Honestly I would just order a new Holley 4160. They run great and require very little maintenance or tuning. Whatever you buy make sure it is a MARINE carb.

east tx skier
06-23-2008, 11:47 AM
I think Jrandol bought an edelbrock carb for his old boat (3 boats ago) that he was always trying to sell (I stress always trying to sell). I may have that memory a little off though.

I agree with Brian on the 4160.

thwack
06-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks guys. Guess I'll cough up the extra $135 for the Holley in lieu of the Edelbrock.

JimN
06-23-2008, 12:17 PM
If it's only the metering block that's causing problems, why not just replace the metering block?

thwack
06-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Well the metering block was only a suggestion by Holley. I've been working on this for a week now and have replaced enough parts to buy a new carb. The back float's causing the front boosters to flood, the adjustment screws have no effect in or out, and the vacuum system isn't cutting off. It's hot and I'm ready to be on the water and a new carb will get me there quicker.

BrianM
06-23-2008, 12:33 PM
I bought a new 4160 from DIM for my '85 dropped it on the boat set the idle screw and went. It ran perfect straight out of the box.

JimN
06-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Fine, don't be pragmatic, getting all lathered up by the challenge and wasting a ton of time!

I guess you'll have some spare partz, then.

thwack
06-23-2008, 01:30 PM
It's not so much the challenge or time issue that's swaying me toward a new carb. I enjoy getting my hands greasy in the garage as much as the next guy, but the ladies prefer the water over my garage. I've ordered a new float, metering block, and wedged gasket for the old carb and will know if that works tomorrow. If so, great I saved a ton. If not, for practicality and cost effiiciency reasons, I'll just order a new one. Thanks for the insight.