PDA

View Full Version : Holley Carb Help

thwack
06-22-2008, 10:50 PM
I have a 79 MC with a 351 Winsor motor carrying a Holley 4160 carburetor. I rebuilt the carb earlier this week and can't get it running right. If I allow fuel to enter the secondary bowl, the front jets will dump too much fuel and flood out the carb. If I adjust the rear float to shut off fuel flow to the secondary bowl, the carb runs fine as a 2 barrel, except that it doesn't have near enough power. When running the 4 barrel, I can watch gas pour in through the front jets at idle and gas fills the rear idle plates when I shut off the motor. Any ideas?

tph
06-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Floats sticking or valves not closing?

thwack
06-22-2008, 11:05 PM
I wish I knew that answer. The front float and needle/seat is working fine when fuel flow is cut off from the rear bowl. I can adjust the rear float to stop the fuel to the rear bowl, then the front pump works fine. If I allow fuel to the rear bowl, the front jets pump way too much gas into the carb. I'm lost.

Gamble
06-22-2008, 11:45 PM
What about the power valve? I've heard of those going bad and I think the result is what you're experiencing.

thwack
06-22-2008, 11:50 PM
The power valve was part of the rebuild kit, but new doesn't mean flawless.

loeweb
06-22-2008, 11:58 PM
The power gives the carb more gas when the primaries are under increased load such as taking off out of the hole. I agree with tph it sounds like a valve is staying opened or a needle is sticking and you're getting too much gas. I think a bad power valve starves the primaries when it goes bad.