PDA

View Full Version : Low voltage warning, voltage gauge reads 12 volts

jmmcalpin
06-22-2008, 09:20 PM
The low voltage warning came on and the voltage gauge reads 12 volts and does not go up when starting the engine, I put a voltage meeter on the alternator and it reads 15 volts when running. It reads 13 volts at the battery when running but the dashboard gauge still reads 12 volts and does not change.. Any ideas?

John

mrprostar
06-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Have you run the boat for any time since you noticed the problem? If you have and volts drop steadily the large cable coming out of the alternator could be broken or fallen off or something. My battery when fully charged reads about 13.2 or 13.2 and the guage will say 12. When the alternator is working it is well above that in all places. I just went through a whole alternator thing so that is my two cents.

jmmcalpin
06-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks, I did check the cables, the one big red one from the alternator, the negative black at the alternator , the 3 red ones on the box next to the battery switch and the battery cables, all look good and are tight, I do get 15 volts at the alternator when the boat is running and about 13 volts at the battery when running but the guage at the dashboard still only read 12 volts....