PDA

View Full Version : Sad day for the Kalitta family

Maristar210
06-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Sorry to see this happen. My thoughts and prayers go out to his familiy.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/8269208/NHRA's-Scott-Kalitta-killed-in-crash

SunCoast 83
06-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Sad....its a dangerous sport

TMCNo1
06-21-2008, 08:48 PM
That is very unfortunate and he will be missed. Our prayers go out to his family.

atlfootr
06-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Prayers go out to his family and friends.

Maristar210
06-21-2008, 09:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DziJdGwFQjU

Jerseydave
06-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Wow, was eating dinner at Charley Browns steak house and saw the pic of Scott on the TV at the bar. Under the pic was Scott Kalitta 1962-2008.

Holy cow, I'm in shock! I use to run my street car on that track at Englishtown when I was 18. That video is very upsetting!

I'm a fan of drag racing and was fortunate enough to meet many drivers while I was with MAC Tools for 13 years. I met Doug Kalitta many times at conventions and at the track, my son and I even had dinner with his crew once. Unfortunately, never had the pleasure of meeting Scott Kalitta. :(

God bless the Kalitta family...........God speed Scott Kalitta.

trickskier
06-22-2008, 07:13 AM
I was at dinner last night and saw the re-play of the crash. Thoughts and prayers with the Kalitta family.

Godspeed Scott.

RexDog1
06-22-2008, 10:20 AM
My prayers go out to the Kalitta Family

This is not a time to point fingers, but the runoff at that track has been a topic for years now…… it was a horrific crash and no one can say what happen? But I bet the NHRA will extend the run off at the top of the track now ……………..:mad:

RIP Scott

Jerseydave
06-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Yep, short shutdown area there. In the video, looks like the aerial lift was hit by some debris (or the car itself). Most tracks were built in the 50's and 60's when cars were not going much faster than 200 instead of 335 mph now.

Something positive will come out of this, just like after Earnhardt died and now every driver is wearing the HANS device and full-face helmets.

flipper
06-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Unfortunately that's part of the game. Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends.

alletric
06-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Yep, short shutdown area there. In the video, looks like the aerial lift was hit by some debris (or the car itself). Most tracks were built in the 50's and 60's when cars were not going much faster than 200 instead of 335 mph now.

Something positive will come out of this, just like after Earnhardt died and now every driver is wearing the HANS device and full-face helmets.

I was wondering if there was a camera man in that manlift. I couldn't tell but hope that they were not injured as well.

RexDog1
06-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Technical Issues to be Investigated

Engine failure. NHRA, working with the Kalitta race team, has examined the engine, and will work with the Kalitta team and other teams to analyze what might be done to reduce such incidents in the future.

Parachute materials. Since the parachutes did not blossom, NHRA will work with parachute manufacturers and suppliers and SFI to analyze parachute mounting techniques and materials. Even though fire does not appear to have prevented the chutes from blossoming in this situation, NHRA also will work with manufacturers and suppliers to identify a parachute material that could be more fire resistant.

Brakes. Research will be conducted to explore whether there is a way to increase brake efficiency when cars lose downforce due to the loss of the body.

Shutdown Area. In light of this tragic incident, NHRA is looking into the shutdown area. NHRA has requested data from FIA regarding design and make-up of runoff areas in other forms of motorsports to see if it has any useful application to the unique forces in drag racing. Together with the racing community and outside groups, NHRA will research and analyze catch nets and restraint devices that are used in other applications, including military applications. In addition, NHRA will analyze additional methods that might be developed at the top end of the race track to help arrest runaway vehicles, given the speed, mass and other factors synonymous with NHRA drag racing. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Speed. NHRA has implemented many initiatives to enhance safety including measures to keep speeds from increasing, personal protective gear, vehicle improvements, and track enhancements such as sand traps, catch nets and concrete barriers the entire length of the drag strip. NHRA is considering whether current speeds should be further limited or reduced to potentially improve safety. To analyze this issue NHRA will develop a task force that also includes members of the racing community to evaluate how to reduce the speed of Top Fuel and Funny Car vehicles.
NHRA will continue to seek and welcome input from race teams on these and other issues in the coming weeks and months ahead. NHRA will release additional information from its ongoing investigation as it becomes available, as well as provide updates on the recently announced initiatives.

Jerseydave
06-27-2008, 09:18 PM
One of the racers interviewed suggested (along with other racers) that they shorten the race course to 1000 feet or even 1/8 mile. He stated that most engine failures happen within that final distance. He also stated there is a world of difference between running 300 mph and running 330 mph.

The Kalitta team will be racing again this weekend in Ohio. You can check out the race coverage on ESPN2 saturday night and sunday night.

God bless the Kalitta family and all their team members.

RexDog1
07-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Well it is sad to see it come to this?? :o But if it will saves lives …… Man it feels like the NBA lowered the hoop height to 8’:(

http://www.nhra.com/content/news/30355.htm (http://www.nhra.com/content/news/30355.htm)

trickskier
07-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Well it is sad to see it come to this?? :o But if it will saves lives …… Man it feels like the NBA lowered the hoop height to 8’:(

http://www.nhra.com/content/news/30355.htm (http://www.nhra.com/content/news/30355.htm)

I have to agree with you...................
This is a lot like NASCAR's restrictor plate..........
However, if it saves lives until they can find an answer............
I am all for it.