PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Prosport 205 ignition advance question

83hurstguy
06-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Had the boat fired up in the driveway today for the first time of the year (finally)... planning on going out this Wednesday. Just installed a new 4160 to replace the 4010...

Anyways, boat has the 351/285 in it... and when checking the timing, I noticed I am getting no advance when revving it (had it up to 2k rpm), it floats retarded back to 8-9* as rpms are increasing.

Anybody know what the curve is supposed to be like in this thing? I'm guessing the weights are stuck.

1992 is electronic ignition, right?

Thanks for any help :)

TCrate
06-22-2008, 03:16 PM
I just ran the numbers on my 92 with the 351 HO but I cannot remember where I put them. However as I recall by 2,000 RPM you should be close to 1600 RPM's. You should be set at 10 Degrees at 600 RPM according to my manual and the Ford specs. But by 2000 you should be over 15 degrees. That year of motor should also have electronic ignition. Easy to check just pull the Distributor cap and check to see if you have points or a silver plate. Good Luck.

TMCNo1
06-22-2008, 04:12 PM
This electronic ignition conversion tutorial, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3533&highlight=electronic+ignition will show you what points vs electronic looks like, remove the cap and check it out. you may want to check, clean and oil the weight springs while your in there,

83hurstguy
06-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks guys... it's electronic... gonna clean/lube the weights tonight and see what we get.

83hurstguy
06-24-2008, 09:59 AM
found a broken spring on one of the weights...

TRBenj
06-24-2008, 10:43 AM
found a broken spring on one of the weights...
Makes sense. Full advance should be in by 3k RPM. The stock dizzy should have about 22-24 deg of advance, for a total of 30-34 (depending on the base).

83hurstguy
06-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Makes sense. Full advance should be in by 3k RPM. The stock dizzy should have about 22-24 deg of advance, for a total of 30-34 (depending on the base).

Thanks! I got it at 10* base... hoping the local speed shop has springs today so the boat can go out tomorrow...

TMCNo1
06-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks! I got it at 10* base... hoping the local speed shop has springs today so the boat can go out tomorrow...

Unfortunately, Skidim no long has or can get replacement spring sets any more for the 351 Prestolite distributors. They do come in the electronic ignition conversion kits for the upgrade. Be sure you get the exact springs @ the speed shop as there are differences in the springs.

83hurstguy
06-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Unfortunately, Skidim no long has or can get replacement spring sets any more for the 351 Prestolite distributors. They do come in the electronic ignition conversion kits for the upgrade. Be sure you get the exact springs @ the speed shop as there are differences in the springs.

Thanks for the heads up... for future reference to anybody, Mr Gasket 925D was an exact match for the light one in the boat that broke... it's for a Ford dist. after 1965, counted the coils and gauge, it appears to be the exact same. Local speed shop had it from their warehouse in 2 hours this afternoon.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MRG%2D925D&autoview=sku

I haven't cross referenced the heavier one yet (still intact but I might buy a spare)... the heavier one is a 5 coil spring.

A relative had "tuned" this boat a couple years back. As soon as we fired it up with the spring, the base timing retarded about 11*. Basically, without the spring, it was running partial mechanical advance all the time, he didn't realize that and backed it off so it was right at 10* with the weight unrestricted.

Going skiing tomorrow, we'll see how she runs... seemed great tonight in the driveway :D