PDA

View Full Version : Replacing The Prop

O2BESOHUGE
06-20-2008, 10:59 PM
What All Is Involved? Do I Have To Take The Back Seat Out, Then Remove The Rudder And Then Pull The Prop?

I Havent Replaced One On A Pro Statr Before

Any Tips?
Thanks!
Jay

93Prostar190
06-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Simply remove the cotter pin (use a new one when putting the new prop on stainless steel is best) ..... remove the prop nut and you can typically break one free with a hammer and a block of wood if you don't have a prop puller. A prop puller just helps you break it free from the shaft.

WTRSK1R
06-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Not sure what age your boat is, but depending on the age it will either be a taper shaft, or a splined shaft. If it is a splined shaft (newer) you do not need a puller, you can usually just take the cotter pin out, remove the prop nut and literly slide it off. No need to do anything with the rudder. If it is a taper shaft, you usually need a prop puller to get it off. The taper can really hold the prop and without the puller, it is nearly impossible to remove. Some have had success using a hairdryer to heat up the prop so the taper will release. Another good trick to to leave the prop nut on a turn or two so when the prop finally releases it does not drop all the way to the ground.

Good Luck.

Steve

vision
06-21-2008, 12:53 AM
Try positioning the rudder about half way between straight and full turn (20 - 30 degrees) to slide off the prop. A bit of a trick but at least with my 05 and 08 I did not have to remove the rudder.

O2BESOHUGE
06-21-2008, 09:31 PM
It Just About Wont Come Off With Anything...plus....

Man You Wont Believe...my Wife Went To A Gas Station And The Gas Tank Fill Tops Were Like Ant Beds Out Of Concrete And She Hit One With The Prop Backing The Boat In To Put Gas In It Today. It Went In Between The Prop Guard And Bent One Of The Fins Even Worse Than It Was.

Thank God I Have A New Prop Now...

I Just Have To Get This One Off

Jay

climbinggod
06-21-2008, 11:00 PM
If the prop has not been removed in a while the taper will really hold it on. My advise is to buy or borrow a prop puller. Crank on the puller and then use a blow torch the heat the prop up. When the prop warms up enough it will pop off the shaft. When installing the new prop lube up the shaft.

McFire
06-21-2008, 11:57 PM
If you can get your hands on a prop puller, it is pretty easy. I swapped mine out today (first time I ever changed one) and it took all of about 5 minutes. Tools can make a huge difference.