PDA

View Full Version : Honolulu...

M-Funf
06-20-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm leaving for Honolulu Tuesday for 4 days. The wife "has" to go for work, and I decided to tag along. She's never been to HI before, and I've only been to Kauai (4 trips).

Any must-sees? Pearl Harbor is on the list, and I'll be golfing each day as well...Since the wife is working, it would be great to divert her attention away from work after the day is over...

Throw down some ideas.

Thx.

cbryan70
06-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Isnt the pipeline on that island? if so i would def go look at that.

M-Funf
06-20-2008, 11:57 AM

Yes, at northshore. I'll get up there as well. Thanks for the tip.

BriEOD
06-20-2008, 11:58 AM
I lived there for 4 years.

Yes, the legendary North Shore, to include Pipeline, is there. Unfortunately, during the summer months the North Shore is flat and the South Shore (Waikiki) is up. So, in the summers you surf the south and scuba dive the north and the converse in the winter. Scuba diving is a big to do on Oahu. You can find charters or rent gear and go right off the shore. There are a few good shore dives on the N. Shore: Haleiwa Trench, etc.

Agreed, Pearl Harbor is a must and will take you a few hours. Some people enjoy hiking up Diamond Head. The North Shore has mountain biking and dirt bike riding, horse back riding etc. Their are a plethora of restaurants, bars, etc.

I don't know where you are staying.

M-Funf
06-20-2008, 12:00 PM
I don't know where you are staying.

We're staying on Waikiki Beach. The wifes company is in the Financial District in Honolulu.

BriEOD
06-20-2008, 12:07 PM
So, you will be over run with Japanese tourists and the commercialization of Hawaii. :D I love seeing all the Japanese tourists at the Pearl Harbor memorial. :rolleyes:

Well, my favorite Island is Kauai, and I have been to most of those. If you want lots of "city" stuff stay in Honolulu. If you want more rurual "Hawaii" feel head to the North Shore. Although, if you don't have a car that will be an expensive taxi ride. Like 30-40 minute ride.

Try Duke's Canoe Club in Waikiki it is on the strip. Their is a good Irish Pub across the street from Aloha Tower...actually my wife and I met at a St. Patrick's Day block party there.

I left in 2000 and at that time Honolulu was the 10th largest city in the country!

trickskier
06-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Eat at the Crouching Lion Inn on the North Shore!

Knox's_Better_half
06-20-2008, 12:17 PM
If you are heading out to the North Shore, make sure to stop in Haliewa. It is a little shack that has the absolute best world renown shaved ice. There are a lot of shops and bakeries out in Haliewa to. We have cousins out there and I will email them and see if there is anything else I can add. There is a Luau that we went too. Not bad on the price either....I think it was...never mind I will look it up and post it for you. Of course the Polynesian Cultrual center is realy neat too and they have a Luau there too. Where are you guys staying? might help me with thing that are not to far out, but definately worth the time. I am hoping to get back over there soon. Since we have family over there and Knox has taken me like 6 times....I really enjoy it!!

here is the link for Motsumotos...
http://www.matsumotoshaveice.com/

Knox's_Better_half
06-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Waikiki is great, be sure to hit some of the open air markets.......they make great deals for you.;)....you first customer:rolleyes::D

coz
06-20-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm leaving for Honolulu Tuesday for 4 days. The wife "has" to go for work, and I decided to tag along. She's never been to HI before, and I've only been to Kauai (4 trips).

Any must-sees? Pearl Harbor is on the list, and I'll be golfing each day as well...Since the wife is working, it would be great to divert her attention away from work after the day is over...

Throw down some ideas.

Thx.

Been there a couple times, very very crowed with tourists but awsome just the same. Pipeline right now is as flat as a lake but it's still nice to check out the NS. When I go to Oahu I stay on the westside (Makaha area) It's kind of a tough neighborhood but there is some breath taking beauty there.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2389/1736072600_5ac9463a0f_o.jpg

Have fun!

east tx skier
06-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Waikiki is beautiful. If you're staying at the Hilton, please don't ruin my childhood and tell me the dolphin pool is gone.

Sing a song and remember this guy. No, no me. The other guy.

Patrick Hardy
06-20-2008, 12:45 PM
I also lived there, this is a great time of the year to go. The prevailing wind and waves hit the south and east sides of the Islands in the summer. Like BriEOD said, the north shore is relatively calm now. Go to Waimea beach - swim, great little beach break to body surf, jumping off the Rock. Other northshore beaches to hang at Sunset, Ehukai and Bonzai "pipeline". Great snorkeling at Sharks Cove - a tidal pool just past the fire station at Sunset Beach. Head to the town of Haleiwa for lunch or dinner and a Shave Ice w/ Ice cream and coffee bean.

On the south end of Oahu go to Hanauma Bay Beach Park to snorkel, Kailua Beach Park & Lanikai Beach to swim, snorkel, windsurf and walk the miles of beach that are consistently rated in the top beaches in the USA. Definitely go to Makapuu Point / Beach and Sandy's Beach Park, they are the best beaches in the summer to hang out at and bodysurf / boogie board. Just be REAL CAREFUL at Sandy's Beach if you are not a good swimmer and or bodysurfer / Boogie Boarder. The beach break can be and is very often Lethal. Be very careful at Sandy's.

Just a few of my favorites on Oahu in the Summertime. Have fun you lucky guy.

kjohnson
06-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Take a lot of money with you. Everything is basically double what it is on the US mainland.

coz
06-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Live Sunset Beach Cam http://www.wavewatch.com/Live-Surf-Cams-Region.php?CamID=8&RegionID=17

Live Pipeline Cam http://www.wavewatch.com/Live-Surf-Cams-Region.php?CamID=7&RegionID=17

Here's another live cam site with Oahu, Maui, Kauai and BI http://www.seehawaiilive.com/index.cfm

Willski
06-20-2008, 11:58 PM
Cool deal for you. My wife actually went to Maui for work about 7 yrs. ago. I tagged along too. We never left Maui though.

auburn buck
06-21-2008, 04:05 PM
M-funf...I see you're a fellow Nor Cal. Have a great time. BriEOD has it right...North Shore is a gotta do. Haleiwa has two cool shrimp vans as you pull into town. Good eats. Also the restaurant at the Marina has a good bar. If you are not sure you will make it back to this island, be sure to at least travel up to see Wiamea and Pipeline...

In Waikiki, the Duke's Canoe Club is like Sunnyside or Jake's at Tahoe (owned by same corp). Predictable, good eats with a great view of ocean...

atlfootr
06-21-2008, 04:46 PM
NorthShore End, check it out ....

damaged442
06-22-2008, 12:15 PM
The North Shore is still really great this time of year. I was there six years ago on the honeymoon. It was rocking the six inch to one foot waves! The beach was so peaceful though. You would sink in the sand up to your knees. At the time, I counted 6 people as far as I could see. I also recommend the shave ice. Matsumoto's is the name of the place. We also checked out the Arizona Memorial. Lots of neat history, but extremely eerie.

The coolest thing about Hawaii is no matter where you are, what island, town, beach, etc., the scenery is amazing. I was never disappointed from that perpective. The biggest downfall is the $$$$$$. Holy crap, is stuff expensive!! Now that I look back on it, I still wouldn't have changed anything. I'd go back again in a second. Good luck and have fun.

M-Funf
06-30-2008, 02:59 PM
So we made it back! Having only been to Kauai (three trips) before, Oahu was a real let down...It was like a shopping mall on the beach.

The wife worked all 4 days. I'd drive her to the office around 7AM and pick her up around 3 or 4.

I rented a surfboard one day and paddleboard another day. I went up to North Shore to see what the surf was like, and it was pretty scary looking. Waikiki was better for a rook like me.

Waikiki beach was very small. I asked what was going on, and they told me that some big waves came in last week and pounded the beach. It was only about 40-50' wide and steep to the water.

Spent about 6 hours between the USS Bowfin, USS Missouri, and Pacific Aviation Museum. I didn't go out to the AZ memorial because the wait was 4 hours. I did go through the museum, tho.

We went to Roy's Waikiki on our anniversary (Wednesday) and it was awesome! Just as I remember from Roy's in Poipu (Kauai).

Dukes is a great bar, and martini's were cheaper than my bar at home :rolleyes:

Poi still tastes like poo to me...

BriEOD
06-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Oahu was a real let down...It was like a shopping mall on the beach.

Hate to say it, but I told you! :D

M-Funf
06-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Hate to say it, but I told you! :D

Yeah, yeah... :rolleyes:

I knew it wasn't going to be anything like Kauai or Maui. Since it was a "business" trip, it didn't cost us much, and we really wanted to spend the anniversary together.

My wife would have had a MUCH more stressful trip had I not gone along. She was so busy with work that having someone to take care of all the other stuff was very helpful. Maybe I should invoice her for the work I did...;)

BriEOD
06-30-2008, 05:49 PM
I didn't go out to the AZ memorial because the wait was 4 hours.

Dukes is a great bar, and martini's were cheaper than my bar at home :rolleyes:

Poi still tastes like poo to me...

Yes, but well worth the wait!

Dukes is cool and the scenery is always nice!

M-Funf
06-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Dukes is cool and the scenery is always nice!

Yes it was...yes it was...:D

I even snapped a few pics while I was there. The wife and I were having drinks outside right next to the beach and three hotties were just over the railing. I said "I need to take a picture of those girls...it's strictly research for some friends"...She laughed...then she handed me the camera :cool:

Fookin camera thieves :rant:

Hell, I would have GIVEN them the camera if I could have had the CF card back...the camera was a POS anyways.

Slinkyredfoot
06-30-2008, 07:21 PM
So I take it you liked the north shore?

I always like this part of the island, fairly short drive and laid back...

Honolulu is like a shoppers mecca like you said, plus its way to crowded

Glad you had a good time....:D

M-Funf
06-30-2008, 07:35 PM
So I take it you liked the north shore?

I always like this part of the island, fairly short drive and laid back...

Yup. I was only over there for about half a day. It was a "short" drive, but it took about 1 1/2 hours to get there in heavy traffic...:(