PDA

View Full Version : Just a couple questions!

Chaser_rct
06-20-2008, 08:54 AM
I took my boat out for the first time since i bought her two years ago and backed her down in the water. It started fine and i kicked it in reverse and backed off the trailer. When i pushed it into foward NOTHING! I ran back to the transmission and pushed it into foward by hand. I have noticed that the cable doesnt pull it far enough foward to engage. Does anyone have pictures on how this is hooked up or any advice? Ok just a few more...my throttle doesnt seem to be hooked up right either because when i go to netural it doesnt return to idle and i can wiggle the cable at the throttle linkage and it finally does.. Im clueless. Ok last final thing will waxing and buffing metal flake make it look better? Its an 81 with 351W

flipper
06-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Sounds like you just need to adjust your cables....or replace them. I'm not an expert, just giving you a bump until the ones who really know come along.

Bellinghamster
06-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Arrg! Newly updated IE popup blocker just dumped everything I'd typed... here 'goes again:

It's very important that the trans. shift lever reach the detent for each position. It's actually a hydraulic valve that controls the pressure to the clutches. If the valve is not fully open, the clutch will slip, wearing it out.

First put the throttle/shift lever in neutral. Then remove the cable end from the transmission shift lever and see if it was correctly in the center detent position. If it wasn't, then adjust the cable anchor position and/or the cable end (it's threaded on and can be unscrewed or screwed on further for find adjustment). Once neutral is correctly set, put it in forward, remove the cable and check if the transmission lever was in the forward detent. Repeat for reverse. It neutral is correct and it's not reaching full forward or reverse, then move the pin on the transmission lever closer to the pivot point, decreasing the effective arm radius which increases the "throw" for a given amount of cable movement.

If the throttle is not returning to idle, adjust the end of the cable until the throttle is completely closed when the throttle/shift lever in the idle or neutral position. Pull the cable off the carb. lever to verify. Unscrew or screw in the end fitting as necessary. There should also be a spring that closes the throttle if the cable breaks or comes disconnected. The spring is manditory, and also helps make up for some for some cable slop.

Chaser_rct
06-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Bellinghamster thanks a million that helps me out tremendously mine doesnt have a spring so that may be my problem i will check it when i get home and let ya know if i have any more questions. Thanks again