PDA

View Full Version : Oil change (be careful)

VOLFAN
06-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Be careful using a hose to drain your oil out throught the dip stick!

I was performing a oil change last night and the hose got hung up! I ended up having to pull the dipstick tube out so that I could get the hose out!

Luckily my boat had the easy oild change hose and I have a big enough hose with me that it fit right over it tightly and makes the oil change process alot easier!

bigmac
06-19-2008, 01:07 AM
Be careful using a hose to drain your oil out throught the dip stick!

I was performing a oil change last night and the hose got hung up! I ended up having to pull the dipstick tube out so that I could get the hose out!

Luckily my boat had the easy oild change hose and I have a big enough hose with me that it fit right over it tightly and makes the oil change process alot easier!
That's the third time I've seen that reported on this forum, and four times over on the Malibu forum.

I conclude that draining via through the dipstick isn't a great idea. Glad you got it out. One of the Malibu guys had to pull the engine and drop the oil pan. The most common non-engine-pulling method I've seen has been to slip a stiff wire down the tubing to straighten it or unkink it.

VOLFAN
06-19-2008, 11:09 AM
I will never ever try that again! I felt like a idiot!!! I was glad to get the thing out!

sham'sbabymama
06-19-2008, 11:12 AM
volfan, is your boat back in business for the weekend?

bigmac
06-19-2008, 11:13 AM
I will never ever try that again! I felt like a idiot!!! I was glad to get the thing out!

I made a little adapter for my oil-change suction pump so that I can hook it up to the oil drain hose. IMHO, that works better anyway. My previous boat had a dipstick tube that went to the bottom of the oil pan and it had a garden hose fitting at the top. Oil changes in the boat lift were even easier than on my MasterCraft.

6ballsisall
Good to know! I always drained my oil with the dip stick tube method, no problem but I could see how it would happen. I always said I was going to try sticking the tube on the pump up in the drain tube on the bottom of the oil pan. That drain tube on the oil pan is about worthless, that is, unless you don't mind doing a 6 hour oil change!! :rolleyes:

ShamrockIV

i still do not understand what u did or why u thought that would work?
do u nt have the tube that will reach out the bottom of the boatf or the oil to drain out of??

VOLFAN
06-19-2008, 11:49 AM
That hose will not fit out the bottom of the boat. I had some 1/2 air hose and it fits over that hose tightky and also had fittings that I could use with the 1/2" air hose and my pump. That is how I eventually got the oil drained. I will do it like that in the future as well.

My first attempt was with some 1/4 hose that fits down in the dipstick tube. It was working, but was slow going. When I tried to remove that 1/4 hose from the dipstick tube I found that it had got hung up and could not get it out...

VOLFAN
06-19-2008, 11:51 AM
The reason I thought it would work is beacuse that is how I had been told to do it and they sell these pumps and hoses to do it that way.

flipper
06-19-2008, 12:01 PM
I made a little adapter for my oil-change suction pump so that I can hook it up to the oil drain hose. IMHO, that works better anyway. My previous boat had a dipstick tube that went to the bottom of the oil pan and it had a garden hose fitting at the top. Oil changes in the boat lift were even easier than on my MasterCraft.

That's how mine is. Makes it really easy to change it.

ShamrockIV
06-19-2008, 12:13 PM
The reason I thought it would work is beacuse that is how I had been told to do it and they sell these pumps and hoses to do it that way.

sounds like we need to modify urs to make it easy where the hose will go out the drain hole this winter!!!!!!!

i changed mine on the life with a jug under the drain hole last week!!!!!

JimN
06-19-2008, 12:21 PM
"That drain tube on the oil pan is about worthless, that is, unless you don't mind doing a 6 hour oil change!!"

For anyone who has heard of Harbor Freight, they have an oil change suction tank that sells for about $69. Its tube goes into the drain hose at the bottom of the oil pan and sucks the oil out in a couple of minutes. It does require an air compressor but that can be bought for $89 and there are all kinds of uses for one of those, anyway. Using gravity for an oil change is a colossal waste of time and drawing it up through the dipstick tube doesn't get it all.

jimmer2880
06-19-2008, 03:38 PM
"That drain tube on the oil pan is about worthless, that is, unless you don't mind doing a 6 hour oil change!!"

For anyone who has heard of Harbor Freight, they have an oil change suction tank that sells for about $69. Its tube goes into the drain hose at the bottom of the oil pan and sucks the oil out in a couple of minutes. It does require an air compressor but that can be bought for $89 and there are all kinds of uses for one of those, anyway. Using gravity for an oil change is a colossal waste of time and drawing it up through the dipstick tube doesn't get it all.

Jim, Do you have a link for such a device? I would love to have one of those.

bigmac
06-19-2008, 03:55 PM
That hose will not fit out the bottom of the boat.

Mine (V-drive) just BARELY has enough length to make it out the rear drain, but there's a stringer right there that makes fishing it out a PITA. And once you do, the oil dribbles out and falls 3 feet to the driveway - any wind and it's a mess.

OTOH, using suction on that hose is easy...I can pull the boat out of the lift, warm it up with a run up and down the lake, pull it back into the lift and change the oil in about 15 minutes with no mess at all. I was a revelation. It would be nice if there were suction devices designed to work directly with those hose fittings

vision
06-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Mine (V-drive) just BARELY has enough length to make it out the rear drain, but there's a stringer right there that makes fishing it out a PITA. And once you do, the oil dribbles out and falls 3 feet to the driveway - any wind and it's a mess.

OTOH, using suction on that hose is easy...I can pull the boat out of the lift, warm it up with a run up and down the lake, pull it back into the lift and change the oil in about 15 minutes with no mess at all. I was a revelation. It would be nice if there were suction devices designed to work directly with those hose fittings

Totally agree. Has any one rigged a suction device to the drain hose? It would seem to be the best solution.

vision
06-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Sorry, did not see Jim N's post. So does Harbor Freight make a device that screws to the existing hose or do you have to attach their device to the drain plug opening in place of the existing hose.

JimN
06-19-2008, 04:28 PM
It comes with four different tubes and the end of the hose has a couple of O rings to seal. We had one at the first dealership and I think they paid close to $300, since it was the only one like it at the time. If I was going to do high volume oil changes, I would get the bucket with the pump on it but for one at a time, the HF one works great. As I said, you need a compressor but those are cheap there, too. The plastic tube works best for rubber hose, BTW.

bigmac
06-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Totally agree. Has any one rigged a suction device to the drain hose? It would seem to be the best solution.Yes I have. It required cruising the brass hardware aisle at the local TruValu, barbed fittings etc, as well as some fuel line tubing the right diameter to slip tight over the pump's withdrawl hose. I didn't want to permanently modify the pump tubing since I also use that vacuum pump to change oil (via the dipstick) on lawn mowers and other 4-cycle rolling stock around here. The hardware one needs is going to be dependent on the suction device or pump used.