PDA

View Full Version : Transmission lines and oil cooler

capt
06-18-2008, 02:08 PM
on my 82 Stars & Stripes, Borg Warner 1 to 1:52 transmission which line goes into the top fitting on the oil cooler and which one goes on the bottom fitting? I got the bottom line on the transmission going into the bottom fitting and the top tranny line going into the top fitting. Is this correct? next time I'll take a picture.

TMCNo1
06-18-2008, 03:42 PM
The (longest) line closest to the raw water inlet end of the transmission cooler goes to the bottom of the transmission and the (shortest) line closest to the outlet end of the transmission cooler goes to the top of the transmission.

capt
06-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Let me make sure. The shortest transmission line goes into the top of the transmission. the longer line goes into the under right side. now which one goes into the top of the oil cooler? thanks

JLeuck64
06-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Where the lines reach the best is where they should go. In other words it doesn't really matter which direction the fluid flows through the cooler. As long as the circuit is complete you will achieve cool-ness:D

TMCNo1
06-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Let me make sure. The shortest transmission line goes into the top of the transmission. the longer line goes into the under right side. now which one goes into the top of the oil cooler? thanks

The line (the long one) closest to the raw water inlet end of the transmission cooler goes to the bottom of the transmission and the line (the short one) closest to the outlet end of the transmission cooler goes to the top of the transmission, this is regardless of whether it is vertical or horizontal and I don't know how yours is placed to know which end is on top.
A picture of the cooler hooked properly to the raw water hose from the pickup on the bottom and to the raw water pump would be helpful, but the end with the hose hooked to the bottom pickup is the inlet end and the other is the outlet on the side of the raw water pump.

denverd1
06-27-2008, 07:33 PM
so criss-cross them is best, but it doesn't matter. top to bottom, bottom to top.

mine is oppo, but the coolness must have been there, cuz no problems in several yrs.