PDA

View Full Version : Combo Power Tool Kit

Willski
06-18-2008, 11:25 AM
My old Craftsman cordless drill died. 2 bad batteries. Seems like to buy batteries, I might as well buy a new drill. I have been looking into the combo kits from Bosch and from Dewalt.

Dewalt one is first one in the following link, Bosch is second. Lowes currently has a $100 gift card with the Dewalt kit and a $150 with the Bosch. Doesn't seem to bad. Any opinions on here?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&Ne=9000+258&category=Combination%20Power%20Tool%20Kits&N=0+5000963

jpattigr
06-18-2008, 11:35 AM
I use these tools and have owned many brands (including Dewalt) and would suggest Ridgid as they now come with a lifetime warranty which includes the battries!! If your battery dies they replace it.
Also the tools work better and are smaller lighter to handle then bulky Dewalt (never will i buy Dewalt again, over hyped)
The other brand to look at is Makita as their tools are also top notch, but nobody touches Ridgid for the warranty!!
I own a whole fleet of Ridgid that replaced my Dewalt crap and love every piece better in how it works!

flipper
06-18-2008, 11:37 AM
I have a Dewalt cordless drill, and happy with it. I also have a Rigid set that I love. Lots of power, battery lasts a long time, and has a dual charger that you can charge both batteries at the same time.

I'd take the rigid first, and the Milwaukee a close second.

jenglin
06-18-2008, 11:57 AM
My vote is for Ridgid. My dad is a contractor and we always used Porter Cable, who was recently bought out by Black-n-Decker, and he probably will not buy another. However, when my batteries died with my old PC, I gave my drill to my dad and went and bought a Ridgid. I absolutly love it. DeWalt is Ok but it is just a little bit better version of a Black-n-Decker who owns DeWalt. I look at quality when I buy tools and have yet to be disappointed with my decisions. They all make good tools it just depends on how much and what you intend to use them for.

magnum
06-18-2008, 12:17 PM
I have had a DeWalt 18V since 1998 same drill , same battery with TONS of use and still going stong

wakeX2wake
06-18-2008, 12:19 PM
i thought people were crazy for paying for a DeWalt until i bought one... that thing is awesome and very reliable... you get what you pay for IMO

Willski
06-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Wow. lots of Rigid fans here!! Never tried them. They will get pretty light use.

alletric
06-18-2008, 12:59 PM
I have an electrical contracting service and I have gone to using Ryobi from the Home Depot. We were using dewalt but they are so expensive and we were having failures. Dewalt did stand behind the tools you had to send them off and wait on them to come back. The Ryobis hold up to everyday use and the price can't be beat. I would strongly suggest going to the Depot and picking them up to see the weight and quality of them. The battteries are very affordable and perform excellent. My opinion.159.00 for all that is impressive and it is no Black and Decker cheap crap it is heavy tools.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100593255&N=10000003+90405+501763

wakolman
06-18-2008, 01:00 PM
I have had the same Ridgid 18V set for 5 years. The price was at least $150 less than the comparable DeWalt set, and the promotion going on was a free tool and free battery via rebate. I had to get my drill repaired after about 2 years (variable speed control went out), and it was easy and didn't cost a thing. Sometimes you can get a great buy on them at the Home Depot. Right around X-mas time was when I got mine.

M-Funf
06-18-2008, 01:10 PM
I have an 18V (called "ONE") Ryobi set (driver, circ saw). I wanted DeWalt, but the price was out of my range for the light use they'll see. They do fine. I had to replace the batteries a couple of years ago. The new batteries hold charge much longer.

I can't say enough about the small impact drivers that are on the market. They pack a punch and drive screws MUCH better than a traditional screwgun.

I'm looking at the Ryobi impact driver now (HD for $69, less battery which I already have).

454Prostar190
06-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Go with the Ridgid! A few of my guys have made the switch from Dewalt to Ridgid and are very happy. By the way.... They aren't as nice to their cordless equipment as am! We went from Makita to Dewalt and now to Ridgid.

Willski
06-18-2008, 03:18 PM
I guess Lowes is okay to look at here at work, but Home Depot is blocked because of shopping!!

lanier92prostar
06-18-2008, 04:26 PM
I also vote for rigid. Lifetime warranty on the batteries is hard to beat!

alletric
06-18-2008, 04:38 PM
I guess Lowes is okay to look at here at work, but Home Depot is blocked because of shopping!!

159.00 for 18V including charger and two batteries. I have a drill that we use everyday that is three years old. It really is tough stuff.

jpattigr
06-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Ridgid is high end version of Ryobi!!

I think the lifetime warranty is worth paying a little more for the Ridgid.

Dewalt was OK, and like some other my orginal drill still works fine after 10 years of med heavy use, but the 18v circular saw blew bearing.

The Ridgid gear just handles better also!

Good Luck:D

justinglow
06-18-2008, 10:42 PM
I also recommend the Ryobi. I have the 18volt kit and it's great. My buddies always tell me get a real drill, get a dewalt. When mine falls off the ladder and breaks in two, I won't be near as sad as them when there $$ Dewalt does the same thing. :D

stuartmcnair
06-18-2008, 10:55 PM
I'll go down the list of what I have:

2 Dewalt Cordless (12V and 9.6V)
1 Dewalt Corded Drill
1 Dewalt Corded Drywall Gun
1 Milwaukee Right Angle Corded Drill
1 Black and Decker 1/2" (don't ask)
1 Milwaukee Hammer Drill (one o' them big boys)
1 Ridgid Corded
and finally
The Ridgid 18V full set with 2 batts and chargers...

Only ones I use 90% of the time now are the Ridgid. They just feel better in my hands plus the power is unreal. When I bought my kit I received a free 14.4 Impact Driver and it has been a godsend. Whatever you get make sure when you take your finger off the trigger the chuck stops. That is one of the most important features to me.

Willski
06-18-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm really impressed by the reviews of the Rigid tools on this post. It has been hands down a Rigid landslide!!

jpattigr
06-18-2008, 11:33 PM
At least we agree on our tools!!

See you back on health care!!

sand2snow22
06-19-2008, 12:37 AM
I currently have a Dewalt and like it, but I want a Makita Lithium Ion with impact and a LED light. Love them, so nice and compact, only negative is the impact can be a bit loud!

zberger
06-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Dewalt.. I have an 18v 1/2 chuck one. LOVE IT.

Also, if you are gonna get one, get one with the Hammer Drill option, you never know when will come in handy.

stuartmcnair
06-19-2008, 10:25 AM
The Ridgid in the 18V kit is a 1/2" Hammer drill