PDA

View Full Version : Impeller replacement

capt
06-15-2008, 04:50 PM
My son and I are new to boating. He has an 82 S&S with 351 (don't know if its a windsor or cleveland). It ran hot in no wake areas but cooled down after throttle up. I learned by reading that it needed new impeller. I got one and put it in. I determined that it didn't matter which way the impeller flanges should be bent when I put it back together. Seemed like it would self correct on startup. Looks like I was wrong. Impeller is worse now than the one I replaced! Where did all those pieces go? Do they melt/burn in the engine? Is my engine going suffer from ingesting those impeller flanges? I would appreciate any help.

WTRSK1R
06-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Your first assumption was actually correct. The impellor vanes should have flipped around on the first start up and been fine. Did you lube it with anything when you installed it? Otherwise, it may have been from running dry until it could draw some lake water up to cool down.

The pieces of the damaged impellor usually get caught in the transmission cooler. Follow the out put hose from the raw water pump and it should go to a black metal thing. This is the transmission cooler and it has a screen of sorts on the input. You will need to pull the hose from the raw pump off at the input to the transmission cooler and you should find all the pieces of rubber if you stick your finger up inside the cooler. These must be cleaned out, or you motor will continue to run hot even with another new impellor.

Good Luck.

Steve

Willski
06-15-2008, 06:36 PM
There are a lot of guys on here that can tell you more, but you may want to check your thermostat housing for pieces. You may also want to mark the rotation on your pump for next time. I painted an arrow on mine. Also be very!!! careful if you ever take the pump off. You can put it on upside down and it will push water out instead of sucking it in.

Willski
06-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Your first assumption was actually correct. The impellor vanes should have flipped around on the first start up and been fine. Did you lube it with anything when you installed it? Otherwise, it may have been from running dry until it could draw some lake water up to cool down.

The pieces of the damaged impellor usually get caught in the transmission cooler. Follow the out put hose from the raw water pump and it should go to a black metal thing. This is the transmission cooler and it has a screen of sorts on the input. You will need to pull the hose from the raw pump off at the input to the transmission cooler and you should find all the pieces of rubber if you stick your finger up inside the cooler. These must be cleaned out, or you motor will continue to run hot even with another new impellor.

Good Luck.

Steve

Not sure on the 82, but on my 84 the tranny cooler is before the raw pump.

capt
06-15-2008, 10:55 PM
I did not lube the impeller but you know I will in the future. The thermostat housing unit doesn't have any pieces and neither does the transmission cooler. I'm assuming the transmission cooler is the first thing that water goes through and has two hoses which go to the transmission? Thanks for all the input. By the way, I've been a Cardinals fan since Stan the Man.

Willski
06-16-2008, 10:13 AM
I would put a new impeller in and start it up and watch your temp. By the way, I hope Molina's not hurt too bad!!

capt
06-22-2008, 08:30 AM
After installing the new impeller, I pulled the raw water intake hose and put it in a tub of H2O. When my son cranked the engine over, the hose blew out instead of sucking water in. Of course I then knew I had put the pump on backwards. I immediately corrected this and we are finally in business. Thanks for all the help.

Gonzo
06-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Congrats, and welcome