PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses, etc ...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

BriEOD
08-09-2004, 08:44 PM
While we are on the subject of sun defense what are you guys wearing for sunglasses?

I have a pair of Costa Del Mar Turbines, I like them so much I bought my wife a pair. Their specially made for water sports. Great glasses.

http://216.25.100.116/miva/4.12/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CDM&Product_Code=B_Turbine&Category_Code=

John B
08-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Oakley..eye Jackets

DrNautica
08-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Sun Specs.

I'll tell you, I don't think I've ever had sunglasses (at any price) with better optics than Smith. The clarity and definition are unbelievable. With some of their "slider" series which include interchangable lenses of varying darkness, the yellow lenses actually make things appear brighter in low light conditions. Typically retailing for $99, they are not cheap but they are much more reasonably priced than some others. I've got 4 pair of Smiths, 1 Nike and 2 Bolle. The Smiths are by far the better optics.

André
08-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Oakley for me and polarised Maui Jim fot my girl and driver.

BriEOD
08-09-2004, 10:04 PM
I wore Oakleys for years. But, they always broke or scratched etc. Costa Del Mar will replace the lenses for free if you scratch them. They have an scratch resitant coating on the lens. They are polarized and have different lens, some for water, etc.

lakes Rick
08-10-2004, 01:30 AM
The lens get dark on my glasses when I am in the sun... Pretty cool huh......

BriEOD
08-10-2004, 07:12 AM
Rick, why don't you post a pic of yourself in your shades, "moving them in, moving them out?" :confused:

bcampbe7
08-10-2004, 08:50 AM
I lost two pairs of Oakleys in the lake (~$250 total). Now I wear some $16 cheapo's from the sporting goods store. Lost a pair last week. Went to the store after being out on the lake and shelled out another $16 for a new pair. Didn't hurt as bad as losing the Oakleys. I still keep a pair of Oakleys in the car, but do not take them on the boat.

JimN
08-10-2004, 08:59 AM
Brian- you know Oakley has a lifetime warranty on theirs, too? If anything breaks, they replace it.

bcampbe7
08-10-2004, 09:07 AM
Not scratched lenses... Did that too. It cost me $40 to replace the lense.

JimN
08-10-2004, 09:10 AM
OUCH! Maybe they just did it for us as a dealer.

Knoxes
08-10-2004, 09:24 AM
Rudy Project's. But I probably won't buy another pair. They scratch too easily.

BriEOD
08-10-2004, 09:33 AM
The different teams I was on would buy new pairs for us everyear. They would get scratched, or broke. We would send them back (on Dept of Defense Letterhead) and still get the run around. I gave up and have probably been through a dozen pair of Oakley's over the years that were military issue. The glasses I have now are so much clearer and better then the Oakleys.

BriEOD
08-10-2004, 09:34 AM
Also, I don't look like the bopsy twin of every swingin dude walking down the street sportin' Oakleys.

jake
08-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Knoxes: are you a cyclist? Rudy Projects seem to be a cyclist thing.

Knoxes
08-10-2004, 10:23 AM
I do triathlon/duathlon on occasion. Like Sept 18th. Which is 5 weeks away. Which means I'm completely unprepared. I have fear of impending doom. Know where that comes from? Impending doom.

east tx skier
08-10-2004, 10:35 AM
I wear the cheapest, polarized sunglasses I can find that look good. The ones I'm sporting now are, so far, indestructible. Picked them up for $1.97 at Oshmans.

BriEOD
08-10-2004, 11:26 AM
No one can say that you're not thrifty Doug! :uglyhamme

MarkP
08-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Hell

I gave em up after I lost my last pair of Ray-Bans. I'm thinking about going with Dougs method

bradamerry
08-10-2004, 11:37 AM
You can't get rid of a cheap pair of sunglasses. I forgot a pair at a campsite one weekend, went back two weeks later, they were still there. I had a pair of $75.00 sunglasses to replace them. I sat on them the next day!! :mad:

DanC
08-10-2004, 12:07 PM
My Revo's stay in the car. They were a gift. :cool: I've seen too many of my friend's expensive sunglasses go to the bottom of the lake. I wear sunglasses from 7-11 and Walmart. Make sure they say 100% UV protection.

Funniest thing. At the Monterey Bay Aquarium they have a large sea otter "pool" that opens up to the ocean. People lean over the rail to look down into the pool. Yep, you guessed it, last time I saw about 12 sets of sunglasses at the bottom of that pool. Doh!!

mgurley
08-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Costa Del Mar. Deep Blue; By far the best pair of sunglasses I have ever owned.

lakes Rick
08-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Rick, why don't you post a pic of yourself in your shades, "moving them in, moving them out?" :confused:

Bri Bri, MarkP has a pic of me in Montana... Maybe he can post it... The older I get (49) the fewer "move em ins" I been doing...

PS. Don't tell Patty.......

east tx skier
08-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Hey, I've bought plenty of expensive sunglasses. But it's like Brad says, I'll sit on 'em in 10 minutes, while the cheap ones are like a bad penny.

MarkP
08-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Ricky on the road

BriEOD
08-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Nice shot Rick, didn't know you had a "Hog."

On another note, I believe it's Jeff Foxworthy who makes the joke about dropping the "cheapo" sunglasses over the side of the boat and a SCUBA diver coming up asking if someone lost a pair of "cheapos." :D

bcampbe7
08-10-2004, 04:08 PM
Nice bike Rick!

lakes Rick
08-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Thanks boys.....

"Had" is the correct term here... That pic is about 4 years old.... I sold the bike a couple of years go.... I miss it dearly.. Was at the HD store last weekend... Fat boys are looking real fine. But the Black V-rod was pretty neat also.... I will get another in a year or two...

As you can see I was on a pretty cool trip with 16 others ( at least 16 started) through Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.. WE had lots of fun in Jackson Hole..... One younger fella riding with his brother missed a turn and fell off a cliff onto some rocks on the side of a River... He didn't make it .. Really sad......

Hey what about them shades though?? Must have been sunny as they were dark.........

stevo137
08-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Fila's, got them at an outlet for 60% off. I think that this is my fourth year with them and love em'. Wear them everyday, boat or car. Can't believe that I have had them this long.

André
08-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Funny,i use to buy cheap sunglasses by dozen.Losing them breaking them often until i decided to buy some nice Oakley.It's been 3 years,still have them,can't believe it either...Must be something about having a nice pair for once!

BriEOD
08-10-2004, 09:44 PM
Rick,

HD is outrageous! My next-door-neighbor just bought a black Fat Boy, brand new no add-ons...20 G's!! The dealer was non-negotiable, wouldn't even throw in a T-shirt. They can't keep the bikes on the floor long enough. My neighbor waited 2 months.

Another neighbor a few doors down just bought a Soft Tail Springer 2k miles, all chromed out for 23 G's. His wife made him sell his boat. He had a Boston Whaler, put it on Boat Trader Online some guy from Seattle flew out here to Charleston took a test drive, bought it and spent 2,500 to ship it back.

I now have six neighbors with HD. They all want me to get one. But, between the MC and ATV's I don't have room, time or deep enough pockets! No way I'd give up my boat for a bike! :noface:

JimN
08-10-2004, 10:53 PM
So, next time HD stock goes down a bit, buy some of that, wait and sell it. Then get your bike. Their stock symbol is HDI.

lakes Rick
08-11-2004, 12:49 AM
The Harley bubble has to burst someday.. When it does there are gonna be ALOT of harleys for sale CHEAP....

I bought Harley stock a few years ago.. Only one split for me sofar...

Better than that crappy HD ( home depot) stock I bought at 55 thats been around 33 for the last 3 years......

Some Trivia: Harley went public in 84.. $10,000 dollars in stock then is worth around 1.4 million today....

My son is 20 and kept talking about crotch rockets.. I took him over to see the black V-rod at the local HD store... I think he has been converted..... Rick

JimN
08-11-2004, 01:19 AM
I have heard that it will burst "someday" for at least 10 years. Logically it will, but the way they run the business, it's hard for me to get rid of it. How many stocks can you say that "it only split once"? A lot of stocks are lucky to have a high percentage of good years, let alone split 5 times in 20 years after so many years of AMF and almost being sold off as a bunch of parts and old machines.

tex
05-03-2005, 09:40 AM
What is everyone wearing this summer-I have my old standbys-rayban and oakleys. I have started wearing Arnettes alot! I had lasek down a couple of years ago and have been avoiding the "cheap sunglasses". What about everyone else?

BrianM
05-03-2005, 09:45 AM
I have two pairs of Arnettes (Ravens & Steel Demons) and absolutely love them. Both have the poly polarized lenses. I live in my sunglasses. From what I hear the lens is the same as the polarized Ray-ban but at a little lesser price and generally available in wilder frame designs. I have had the Ravens for over 8 years. Sent them back to Arnette once to have the lenses replaced which they did for $12. Can't say enough good thing about them.

bcampbe7
05-03-2005, 09:48 AM
I have one pair of Oakleys, but those stay in the car. I have lost 2 pair of Oakleys in the lake. I can't afford to keep losing them so I now use cheapos when on the water.

MarkP
05-03-2005, 09:51 AM
I have one pair of Oakleys, but those stay in the car. I have lost 2 pair of Oakleys in the lake. I can't afford to keep losing them so I now use cheapos when on the water.
I have a boat glove box full of cheap sunglasses for the same reason..

lakes Rick
05-03-2005, 09:55 AM
Prescription sunglasses...... geezer...

sizzler
05-03-2005, 09:56 AM
just bought some oakley monster dogs with the polarized lenses...great glasses for driving espesh on the boat.........stung for £125.pp over here.ouch........they eliminate loads of glare from the water :toast:

BriEOD
05-03-2005, 10:03 AM
I used to get issued Oakleys all the time with EOD. They always broke and the company will not replace anything with out an act of congress.

I decided to try something new and bought a pair of Costa Del Mar Turbines. I liked them so much I bought my wife a set as well (different model). They are polarized and designed for being on the water. I think I paid about $80. After about a year the nose piece started to pull away from the frame. I sent them back to Costa Del Mar and they sent me a new pair within the week no questions asked.
http://www.costadelmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CDM&Category_Code=B_Co-Injected

RackAtak
05-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Has anyone had trouble seeing through the windshield with polarized sunglasses? I wear a pair of Revo's that are polarized and when I look through my windshield, I see spots. :confused: And yes, that is before any beers! :cool:

Mag_Red
05-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Cheap pair of sunglasses for me.........I don't get all the hoop la over designer sunglasses :huh:

sizzler
05-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Has anyone had trouble seeing through the windshield with polarized sunglasses? I wear a pair of Revo's that are polarized and when I look through my windshield, I see spots. :confused: And yes, that is before any beers! :cool:

"HAVE YOU SEEN AN OPTICIAN"????

"NO ,ONLY SPOTS" :uglyhamme

MasterMason
05-03-2005, 11:00 AM
I have a set of pescription Oakley's that I live in when ever I am outside in the sun. Cost a bunch of money but it was well spent.

Ric
05-03-2005, 11:02 AM
yep, my oakley polarized lenses do that but I blamed the wavy windshield for it.
if you tilt your head the spots change color :)
what do the voices in your head say?

Footin
05-03-2005, 11:13 AM
2 pairs of Revo's for me, one pair stay in the car and one pair for the boat. They are kinda pricey, but well worth it IMHO.

east tx skier
05-03-2005, 11:17 AM
The last sunglasses I spent any money on were oakleys and they broke. I've currently got two and a half years on a pair of $1.97 UV protection, polarized wrap-arounds that I picked up on sale. If I lose them, at this point, I've gotten my money's worth for sure.

MasterMason
05-03-2005, 11:21 AM
I always find it funny that people break glasses, I guess that is becuase I have had a pair on my face for 32 years now. Even as a kid I only ever broke one pair, and I broke my nose in the same instant. If you really need them to see I think your much more careful with them.

tex
05-03-2005, 11:25 AM
I am the same way. My wife makes fun of my sunglasses until she asks how long I have had each pair. I have owned a pair for as long as 8 years. Take care of your chit. I need to be protected but love looking like the rock star that I think that I am!

Bobby
05-03-2005, 11:30 AM
i have 8 dollar aviator style glasses from walgreens. they work great for the water and the car

MasterMason
05-03-2005, 11:31 AM
i have 8 dollar aviator style glasses from walgreens. they work great for the water and the car

How do they perform for blocking out the sun with a raging hang over? :D

Ric
05-03-2005, 11:32 AM
sexy .

east tx skier
05-03-2005, 11:33 AM
I am the same way. My wife makes fun of my sunglasses until she asks how long I have had each pair. I have owned a pair for as long as 8 years. Take care of your chit. I need to be protected but love looking like the rock star that I think that I am!

Oh, I look like a rock star in my $1.97 specials. Now if I only had the 197 to match. ;)

RackAtak
05-03-2005, 11:34 AM
yep, my oakley polarized lenses do that but I blamed the wavy windshield for it.
if you tilt your head the spots change color :)
what do the voices in your head say?
I shoulda known better! We need summer to be here!

bcampbe7
05-03-2005, 11:45 AM
I always find it funny that people break glasses, I guess that is becuase I have had a pair on my face for 32 years now. Even as a kid I only ever broke one pair, and I broke my nose in the same instant. If you really need them to see I think your much more careful with them.

I have also found that cheap sunglasses don't break, and you never lose them. I could throw my cheapos out the window while driving down the interstate and somehow I would find them in my center console the next day :rolleyes: (sarcasm, but you get what I'm saying).
Along with losing the Oakleys I have scratched the lenses on the current pair. I have had the cheapos for 3 years and they look like brand new. Must be Murphey's Law at work...

SteveO
05-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Seringeti for me,although I may have to check out the Arnettes on my next purchase

peason
05-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Maui Jim's - expensive but I know a couple of people who work at the corporate office in Peoria, IL of all places. I've had them for at least 5 years now.

Cary K.
05-03-2005, 12:18 PM
I have a theory about the price of sunglasses: The more expensive they are, the quicker I drop them in the lake or the worse I scratch them. I can not kill a cheap pair. I like nice glasses, but got tired of paying for them over and over again.

bcampbe7
05-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Maui Jim's - expensive but I know a couple of people who work at the corporate office in Peoria, IL of all places. I've had them for at least 5 years now.

Do I hear GROUP BUY???

Was that too much? Probably should have posted this in the "Never ending threadjack" post. Sorry...

Leroy
05-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Always buy the cheapie stuff. Used to buy Smith with interchangable lens for biking (clear, yellow amber, and dark), but after breaking 3 or 4 pair found the $10-$15 "brand" fits me very well!

Zach S
05-03-2005, 01:54 PM
I am running a pair of SPY's. I wear them almost all of the time I am outside. Definetly can't just run the cheapys. :cool:

USC8791
05-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Serengetti for me most of the time. Except I find it hard to read the Perfect Pass display with the polarized lenses. I bought a pair of Smith Catalyst to keep on the boat. They have interchangeable lenses for different light conditions.

tex
05-03-2005, 02:21 PM
toolman and his new shades?

JEREMY79
05-03-2005, 02:54 PM
I have a theory about the price of sunglasses: The more expensive they are, the quicker I drop them in the lake or the worse I scratch them. I can not kill a cheap pair. I like nice glasses, but got tired of paying for them over and over again.

Ha thats me. Brand New Ray-Ban. $170 lake three days later. El-cheapos from Shell station. Three years and still look great

Bobby
05-03-2005, 02:55 PM
How do they perform for blocking out the sun with a raging hang over? :D

they work well for EVERYTHING.....and I mean everything. :D

tex
05-03-2005, 03:09 PM
toolman and his new shades?
2nd try. hope this comes out.

PeteS
05-03-2005, 03:23 PM
I have Arnette Polarized sunglasses which I love myself. Do any of you get the sunglass tan effect on your face later on in the summer from the glasses being on so much?

It's odd, seems like everytime I turn around BrianM and I are saying we have the same stuff, or recently have done the same thing to our boats (which by the way, are the exact same) -- and there is no relationship (beyond this website) between us. You're not my long-lost clone or something, are you Bry?

Scot
05-03-2005, 03:39 PM

C'mon.... Help a brotha ou t here.... Group buy!!! Ya drop the names you gotta step up!...:worthy: :worthy:

BrianM
05-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Do any of you get the sunglass tan effect on your face later on in the summer from the glasses being on so much?

Later in the summer? I have a serious sunglass tan on my face now! I live in my sunglasses and generally have raccoon eyes 10 months of the year. :D

You're not my long-lost clone or something, are you Bry? Maybe!

djhuff
05-03-2005, 03:49 PM
I buy expensive sunglasses, I currently have 2 pairs of oakley A frames (went on a cruise and forgot them, had to buy a new pair) I am the opposite, how much I pay for glasses is directly proportional to how long I have them. Every time I buy cheap sunglasses, they are gone within 2 days. One pair only lasted 1 hour.

DanC
05-03-2005, 04:05 PM
$1.97 Doug? :worthy: Dang. I just bought a brand new set of Foster Grant's at Pak-n-Sav for $5.
With a group buy we could probably get that down to $1.50 :D

/I have a pair of Revos (gift) in the van. They don't leave the van. ;)

Cloaked
05-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Cheap pair of sunglasses for me.........I don't get all the hoop la over designer sunglasses :huh:Word......

LakePirate
05-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Oakley's saved my vision when a line drive bounced off of them, they didn't break scratch or anything. The only real oakley's that I have seen broken were ran over by a truck at Darlington. Been wearing the same pair of polorazied ray-ban's for 3 years now. Still have the Oakley's and wear them when protection might be needed.

Guys have you seen this little development called the croakie? I know that they are Frat-tastic but they do work extremely well at keeping shades off of the bottom of the lake.

rem_p
05-03-2005, 05:34 PM
cheap ones all the way...fake oakleys, or some of those mirrored state trooper glasses.....had a pair of Frogskins one time...3 days later they were on the bottom of lake martin......after than i quit buying the real oakleys

tex
05-03-2005, 05:39 PM
I have an old school pair of red white and blue ISKI mirrored ones that I break out when we go snow skiing. It is great to see people's reactions in the lift lines!

LakePirate
05-03-2005, 05:40 PM
I know exactly which ones you are talking about and they rock :headbang:

André
05-03-2005, 05:59 PM
I too used to buy el cheapos all the time and kept losing or breaking them weekly.Until somebody working for an optician told me "It's because you KNOW they're cheap sunglasses...".Bought a pair of Oakley that day,still got them 4 years later,a record!
Nathalie got some Maui Jim,expensive but incredible when on the water...

Leroy
05-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Andre; Buy me a pair of Oakley's and I'll test your theory! :D

André
05-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Andre; Buy me a pair of Oakley's and I'll test your theory! :D
Sure,just after i receive the new V-Drive so i can try wakeboarding with a decent wake! :steering:

milkmania
05-03-2005, 09:49 PM
http://www.writeonrice.com/billboards7.jpg

the message is too short:rant:

lakes Rick
05-03-2005, 09:51 PM
The reason you see spots looking through your windshield is because its tempered glass... Go look through your Patio Door glass and it should do the same thing......

milkmania
05-03-2005, 09:59 PM
when you're driving with polarized sunglasses those Pontiac Trans Sport Van things with the huge windshield have spotted windshields when youi meet them too.....

can't even see the driver:rolleyes:

bcampbe7
05-03-2005, 10:20 PM
when you're driving with polarized sunglasses those Pontiac Trans Sport Van things with the huge windshield have spotted windshields when youi meet them too.....

can't even see the driver:rolleyes:

That's ironic! I was wearing my sunglasses and met a Yugo on the road and the thing still looked like a chitbox.

milkmania
05-03-2005, 10:29 PM
That's ironic! I was wearing my sunglasses and met a Yugo on the road and the thing still looked like a chitbox.

with a blindfold on, you can still smell that a Yugo smells like a chitbox!:purplaugh

jimmer2880
05-04-2005, 06:34 AM
Used to wear nothing but Bolle's (get a pro deal since I'm a ski instructor). But - I have recently switched to safety glasses after I scratched my last couple pairs of bolle's. They work great and are only $15.00 (not quite the $2.00 pair of others, but still rather cheap).

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 06:39 AM
Prescription sun glasses for me, or a visor w/ my glasses.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-23-2005, 07:13 PM
My favorite pair.....

bepresto
11-23-2005, 09:09 PM
when you cant figure out which ones to wear, you just pick a pair your wife says, "those".

SteveO
11-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Just got a pair of SPY shades for my Birthday.

maristarman
11-23-2005, 11:31 PM
Have tried three different pairs of Maui Jims and been very disappointed in their quality. Currently have 2 pairs of Bolle polarized glasses that were very reasonably priced at Costco and are very durable.

Almost went with Oakleys but the last time in the sunglass shop there was a guy who was on his 7th pair in 2 years.

They kept falling apart. :eek:

Maybe the guy was just a psycho, but I sure didn't like the sound of that.

SKI*MC
11-23-2005, 11:39 PM
One of my wakeboard instructors i had in the summer was sponcored my Black Flies. I thought he had a few cool pairs.

BrianM
11-24-2005, 09:42 AM
I have two pair of Arnettes with the grey polarized lenses. Great glasses. Have had one of the pairs for 9 years now and have had the lenses replaced in them twice. The other pair (metal frames) I have had for just over a year and am already on my second pair as I sat on the first pair and killed them about two months after I bought them. Stupid metal frames are much more fragile than the plastic.

bigmac
11-24-2005, 10:10 AM
I've had a pair of titanium Maui Jims for a couple of years. I'd categorize the optics as average, but I've never found a frame as comfortable, but still secure at high speeds on a boat or motorcycle.

http://www.mauijim.com/mjweb/public/images/lores/sngl/LQG501-02.jpg

I think the advantages of the titanium flex frame outweigh the disadvantages, but it is a slight nuisance not being able to fold the buggers up and slip them in your shirt pocket.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-10-2006, 02:36 PM
OK, I spilled my guts in a recent thread (click here to read) (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=165322&postcount=16) about my weight loss story. several people wanted to see pictures, so I scanned a few older pics of me when I was overweight. I am pretty embarrased about showing them here, but I figure if it helps someone else find inspiration to lose weight its worth the little bit of embarrasment to me. So here is the proof in the pudding(no pun intended). Please dont laugh too hard at the "fat" pics, they are not too flattering. The new pics, 125 lbs less, are much better.

So here are the before pictures. here I am filling my face with more food.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/Donbefore1.jpg
again more eating....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/Donbefore2.jpg

and here I am skiing last May(hadnt skied in 7 years because of the weight) This is about 3 years after I lost the weight

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/DonSkiing1.jpg

and here is a pic for the ladies here on TT, this is me in a recent concert, this is my "hot and sexy rock star" wanna be look....yes, those are leather pants and real snakeskin boots....LOL!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/DonAfter1.jpg

hacker
04-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Incredible!!! Way to go. :worthy: :worthy:

BTW, have you used your drysuit yet?

bcampbe7
04-10-2006, 02:55 PM
That is incredible UMP! Good for you!

I would imagine that people that haven't seen you in a while don't recognize you.

Are you really tall, or is that a short kitchen?

Leroy
04-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Way to go UMP! I lost 50 pounds around 1996 (215-165) but have since gained it back. Very hard to lose and even more difficult to keep off.

vogelm1
04-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Wow, that is NOT the same guy!! Way to go UMP. I'm struggling just to lose my 10-15 pounds of 'winter weight'. Can't imagine the stamina to lose what you did! If you have any pointers, lemme know. Congrats!!

RackAtak
04-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Hey UMP...there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to be embarrased by! That is FANTASTIC. Great accomplishment! :worthy:

6ballsisall
04-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Absolutely incredible! Nice work UMP! So any secrets you can give to help me loose 5-7lbs of winter weight?? :rolleyes:

rodltg2
04-10-2006, 03:42 PM
wow, that is a HUGE difference, way to go..

04-10-2006, 03:45 PM
OK, let me answer all of you.

hacker, yes, I tried the drysuit for a "swim" on saturday. I took a swim just to try it out. It worked, kept me warm and dry. :) I am waiting for the ice bergs to melt in the bay, then I will try it out skiing. Looking forward to it.

beau, I am 6'2" so not that tall, probably just camera perspective, you know the old "make the fish look bigger in the picture" trick.

Leroy, I dont find it that difficult to keep the weight off. I am much more active now, and I eat right, so its not bad at all. I had to work harder to lose it.

vogelm, if you want tips and advice, glad to help. What is it you need help with? I guess in general I suggest you find an activity you ENJOY for excercise. Dont MAKE yourself go to a gym and hate it. you will get sick of it and quit. Find something fun, some type of sport you have fun at, so its not a chore to excercise. and find a diet that isnt work to be on. CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR! tell your Doctor you want to lose weight and discuss the options. there are hundreds of different diets out there, work with your Doctor to choose the right one for you and your lifestyle and personal health.

My best advice to lose a little winter weight is to just cut back on portions a bit. count your calories. dont eat more just because it tastes good. lose the butter, skip the fast food. add some fruits and veggies. cut out the beer or booze. get out and excercise 3 days a week (cardio). do this, and you will shave those winter pounds in time for summer.

and THANKS for all the compliments!! :D

I think I got all the questions. Who's next? ask away!!!!

Ryan
04-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Way to go UMP. Glad you shared.

Congrats for changing your way of life. I'm sure that was far from an easy experience. It's way cool to see you made the change and stuck to it for the long run.

LakePirate
04-10-2006, 03:54 PM
What you should be embarrassed about are those pants..... :eek:

Had to clarify the pants.

You didn't think you were going to get away with those did you?

Oh - Way to go man. :guitar:

SkiDog
04-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Hey UMP, I sure hope TMC #1 reads this tread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are the MAN! :shocked:

jbfootin
04-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Wow...VERY impressive!! I thought you were just some guy with nothing better to do than make up goofy polls, but the above post changed that.

Do you leave yourself indulge in Sundays and ice cream once in a while now that you are thin, or simply stay away from the stuff completely?

TMCNo1
04-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Damn UMP, I thought you was 5'-8", 61 years old and 156 lbs. but you fooled me, just kidding, I've read your profile, your not but 1 year older than my daughter. I'm just 39 and 214lb and I am a ROCK STAR, cause when I go to a Rock Concert, I take my own rocks and I'm the one to throw the first rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WAY TO GO DUDE!!!!!!!

04-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Lakey, yea those pants are bad, looks like i stole them from a Fat Joey Buttafuco :uglyhamme we had the same tailor I guess.... ;)

jbfootin, Yes, I eat things like Ice cream, cake, pizza, etc... I just eat it in moderation now. I dont deprive my self of anything, I just keep it in check. Plus I am WAY more active now, so that helps alot. I just eat right and stay active. Its really not difficult for me to manage the weight now. I had to bust my A$$ to lose it, but its easy to maintain.

No1, dude how can you have a 33 yr old daughter at age 39?? have you lost your math or your mind?? :confused:

BTW, I would a been a pretty funny looking super hero at 311 lbs!!!!!

TMCNo1
04-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Lakey, yea those pants are bad, looks like i stole them from a Fat Joey Buttafuco :uglyhamme we had the same tailor I guess.... ;)

jbfootin, Yes, I eat things like Ice cream, cake, pizza, etc... I just eat it in moderation now. I dont deprive my self of anything, I just keep it in check. Plus I am WAY more active now, so that helps alot. I just eat right and stay active. Its really not difficult for me to manage the weight now. I had to bust my A$$ to lose it, but its easy to maintain.

No1, dude how can you have a 33 yr old daughter at age 39?? have you lost your math or your mind?? :confused:

BTW, I would a been a pretty funny looking super hero at 311 lbs!!!!!

I was a fertile youngin', started when I was young with the lost mind!!!!!!! :popcorn: I was a big boy when I was born, when I came out the doctor in the delivery room slapped my mama!!!!!!!!!!!!!

east tx skier
04-10-2006, 04:49 PM
WOW! I dropped 30 lbs in 2004, but that's not even the same league. I'm speechless. Well done UMP!

Ric
04-10-2006, 06:42 PM
WOW! I dropped 30 lbs in 2004, but that's not even the same league. I'm speechless. Well done UMP!
Ump that is truly amazing and admirable!

Now, please don't ever post another photo of yourself in leather pants

Ric
04-10-2006, 06:46 PM
My best advice to lose a little winter weight is to just cut back on portions a bit. count your calories. dont eat more just because it tastes good. lose the butter, skip the fast food. add some fruits and veggies. cut out the beer or booze. get out and excercise 3 days a week (cardio). do this, and you will shave those winter pounds in time for summer.

I think I got all the questions. Who's next? ask away!!!!
cut out the beer ?? Sorry fella, I'll take the lbs with me when I finally run my 22off pass, before I cut out the brewskies!!

Mag_Red
04-10-2006, 07:11 PM
:eek: I'm speechless

Sodar
04-10-2006, 07:44 PM
That is CRAZY UMP!! Congrats to you dude!

Hoosier Bob
04-10-2006, 07:57 PM
The big difference is where the pics are taken! Before pics are all in the kitchen! Way to go UMP and very cool Hobbies! :D

quincyfirefighter
04-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Truly incredible :woohoo: Way to take control of your life. Now there's nothing you can't do RIGHT!!!! You can be the next Jarad from Subway Sandwiches for the East Coast :cool:

roddydog
04-10-2006, 08:28 PM
cut out the beer ?? Sorry fella, I'll take the lbs with me when I finally run my 22off pass, before I cut out the brewskies!!
Awesome is all I can say...............Kudos, kudos kudos!!

The bigget thing is what you eat, I've been a Veg-Hed for about 18 years, love the beers,. won't give 'em up and I am still within 5lbs of 175.

My top was 205, so, good on ya. :dance:

quincyfirefighter
04-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Sounds like Me ;) work out at home but think It's a losing battle sometimes. Love my brewskies!!!!!! Also Has It been a long winter or is it just me :rolleyes:

mitch
04-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Impressive, good for you!

6ballsisall
04-10-2006, 09:57 PM
UMP just looked at the pics again. You are one bad arse mo fo! :toast:

04-10-2006, 10:07 PM
The big difference is where the pics are taken! Before pics are all in the kitchen! Way to go UMP and very cool Hobbies! :D

THANKS to everyone for the kind words and compliments :wavey: :)

Yes HB, I spent plenty of time in the kitchen before. and for the hobbies, Being overweight of course doesnt do anything for self esteem, so I didnt engage in alot of social activities, even with my very close friends who always liked to have me around. Although this is NOT even close to being worth how heavy I was, I did come out of that era with one nice fringe benefit: Guitar skills. imagine what several years of sitting at home doing nothing but playing guitar will do for your guitar skills! Its really fun now when I am in shape to be able to play guitar at the level I do. Makes my performances much better for the audience, specially the chicks! :D but its not a trade off for the physical, emotional, and mental health benefits I achieved by losing the weight. Its probably the greatest accomplishment of my life, even more than graduating college. It took more determination I think....

anybody else got some victory stories to share??

Maristar210
04-10-2006, 10:46 PM
UMP,

Great sucess story. You look miserable in the first heavy pics and very happy in the latter ones. Good job, man,

Now if we can just talk about those boots you are wearing in the Jackson Gibson-esque guitar picture??? :huh: :huh:

Signed,

Your biggest fan

( ;) )

flipper
04-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Good job UMP, not many people can change their lives like that, and look at it as a life change rather than just loosing some weight. Seems as though when you "loose" weight, you tend to find it. Life change is a good way to put it. I started going to the gym about 3 months ago, and the scale has been going up for me. Doing something wrong. Have to switch to light beer or something.

SKI*MC
04-10-2006, 11:04 PM
WOW! Great job man! I have been meaning to lost 1-20 lbs lately, i packed on a few over the winter. Let me in on your technique!

LakePirate
04-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Good job UMP, not many people can change their lives like that, and look at it as a life change rather than just loosing some weight. Seems as though when you "loose" weight, you tend to find it. Life change is a good way to put it. I started going to the gym about 3 months ago, and the scale has been going up for me. Doing something wrong. Have to switch to light beer or something.

Muscle weighs more than fat. A good tell-tell sign is your pants are they a little looser?

BriEOD
04-10-2006, 11:10 PM
UMP you're the man dude! :toast:

04-10-2006, 11:10 PM
UMP just looked at the pics again. You are one bad arse mo fo!

Thanks JR! I aint THAT bad of a mo fo! :purplaugh

Thanks Bri! :)

Thanks Mar!!, and whats up with my boots?? dont like my snakeskins? those be rockstar wanna be boots baby!! and WHAT IS UP with you dissing my Jackson??? Gibson-esque?? Dude what you mean?? :confused:

Flipper and MC, anyone can do it. If I can, that means anyone can, and I mean anyone. I always wanted to be thin, I always thought, "if I could lose weight I could do this or that..." I always wanted to really do it. I guess the secret or key is to WANT it for yourself. You cant do it for any other reason. Not for your spouse, not for your parents, or your teacher, or your coach, or your doctor, or your friends, or your whatever!!! YOU need to WANT it, and THAT is the key to success. :twocents:

east tx skier
04-11-2006, 10:27 AM

While it's got calories and carbs, there are some things I'm not cutting. Beer is one of 'em. I lost a ludicrous amount of weight in college once, all the time putting away Shiner bock and Anchorsteam.

04-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Sure, you dont HAVE to cut out beer to lose weight. Its just a balance, you have to cut it somewhere else. For me, I cut beer because it was easy and there was more important things to me I wanted to keep in my diet. My mom makes terrific fresh fruit pies in the summer. Bluberry, apple, blackberry, and raspberry, and she makes awesome strawberry shortcake. Biscuits from scratch, fresh local strawberries, and REAL whip cream. NOw I ate that stuff every day, and STILL lost weight. YES ITS TRUE!!! I excercised regular, But I just kept the food in check, I ate one piece or serving, not a entire pie in a day. You just need to budget your calories. If beer is important to you, thats fine, just cut it someplace else. iTs all about finding what works for YOU. See thats the real key here for people that want my advice. The truth about diets and weight loss programs is: EVERY ONE OF THEM WORKS!!! you just need to stick with them! but people just choose the wrong ones that dont fit their lifestyle and they quit and fail. See you need to research this, talk with your Doctor, and choose one that works for YOU personally. Forget what your friend or neighbor does, forget what the latest diet fad is, Forget what the celebrities do, forget it all. be proactive, find a diet that fits YOUR life. everyone tries a diet for 2 weeks, falls off it, and then they say,"that diet dont work, I tried it." and they are wrong. All diets work, its just a matter of sticking to them. Make it a lifestyle change, not a diet. Diets are temporary, lifestyle changes are something you stay with. (NO! not "that" kind of lifestyle change :uglyhamme )

east tx skier
04-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Yup, that's it. That's how I did it the first time. Just didn't eat so darned much food. Chew it slowly and the minute you start to feel full, stop eating. I dropped 40 lbs in a matter of months doing that. It wasn't about what I was eating so much (unless Chinese food is good for you).

LakePirate
04-11-2006, 11:07 AM
UMP is right

and to add to his statement from my health and kinesiology background, if you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight. It is as simple as that.

hleepert
04-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Great job UMP! You are an inspiration. I think MC should start doing UMP comercials like Subway did with Jered. Buy a MasterCraft and you'll look like UMP!

6ballsisall
04-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Great job UMP! You are an inspiration. I think MC should start doing UMP comercials like Subway did with Jered. Buy a MasterCraft and you'll look like UMP!

Wonder if we could get some hotties in swimsuits in on that commercial :D

Ric
04-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Wonder if we could get some hotties in swimsuits in on that commercial :D
I say no to the commercial because ump will want to show off his leatherrrrrr :noface:

04-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Wonder if we could get some hotties in swimsuits in on that commercial

Well Certainly JR! If I am there, the hotties will just naturally show up! ;) :uglyhamme

Ric, you dissing my leather pants man? :D You must be some animal rights activist or something..... :purplaugh hey, the chicks dig those pants! I had several hotties compliment me on my stage wear at the last show I played. I generally only wear them onstage. or if I go to a rock concert thats NOT in the summer time.

Ric
04-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Well Certainly JR! If I am there, the hotties will just naturally show up!

Ric, you dissing my leather pants man? :D You must be some animal rights activist or something..... :hey, the chicks dig those pants! I had several hotties compliment me on my stage wear at the last show I played. I generally only wear them onstage. or if I go to a rock concert thats NOT in the summer time.
yeeesh, I'm just sayin I dont want to ever have to see a pic of you wearing them again :rolleyes:

04-11-2006, 12:24 PM
yeeesh, I'm just sayin I dont want to ever have to see a pic of you wearing them again :rolleyes:
Dude, its cool. Im just givin ya crap. I sure catch he11 from my friends for wearing them. They all agree with you. :purplaugh

Ric
04-11-2006, 12:26 PM
ya, it made me throw up in my mouth a little

milkmania
08-15-2006, 05:00 PM
looking for some nice wire framed sunglasses
glass lens
perfer polarized

what would you guys recommend?

budget +/- $100.00

I like these
http://www.anysunglasses.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GZ-204&Category_Code=Gatorz_Polarized

08-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Want some stylin new shades for MM hey Milky?? :cool:

kwood
ray ban. I think they were 95.00

KnoxX2
Maui Jims. Had mine for 2 yrs and will never change!!!

slink976
happy meal's at McDonalds has some pretty good ones! you might need to buy a couple happy meals cuz you know you never get what you want the first time.

LakePirate
08-15-2006, 05:06 PM
I have had some Ray-Bans for about 4 years now. Like 'em

Look at the Oakley's as well, but they get real proud of their polarized lenses.

08-15-2006, 05:07 PM
happy meal's at McDonalds has some pretty good ones! you might need to buy a couple happy meals cuz you know you never get what you want the first time.
Ah, thats in MY price range slink. I like the way you think. Too bad they dont give those red/green sunglasses away at the theaters anymore for 3-D movies. ;)

east tx skier
08-15-2006, 05:11 PM
For the boat, the cheaper the better (so long as they're polarized). The less I spend, the longer I can go without their falling overboard for some reason. The last shades I spent any kind of money on decomissioned themselves while I was snow skiing.

milkmania
08-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Want some stylin new shades for MM hey Milky?? :cool:

just trying to find something so I don't have to keep looking through this danged scratch!

milkmania
08-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Maui Jims. Had mine for 2 yrs and will never change!!!

had a friend tell me about his Maui Jims......

he's had them in the shop a couple of times $$$, but he seems to be happy with their customer service

bcampbe7
08-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Maui Jims are spendy for polarized, but they sure look good!

I just got some Oakley Fives that are polarized. The only thing I don't care for is that they are too light, if that makes sense. They will not stay on top of your head if you bend down to pick something up.

http://oakley.com/o/o3171d

shepherd
08-15-2006, 05:24 PM
I had some nice RayBan wired, polarized and loved them. The $95 price sounds about right. Problem was, the plastic lens scratched too easily and after about a year or two they were too messed up. They make a glass lens version but they are more like $150.

Maui Jims, overpriced in my opinion, but I've never owned any. Can't see how they'd be $100+ better than a good pair of RayBans.

Currently wearing some Arnette wide framed polarized wraparound, around $100. Nice, but the wide frames make a big blind spot which is not good when riding the motorcycle :cool:

milkmania
08-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Maui Jims are spendy for polarized, but they sure look good!

I just got some Oakley Fives that are polarized. The only thing I don't care for is that they are too light, if that makes sense. They will not stay on top of your head if you bend down to pick something up.

http://oakley.com/o/o3171d

I like the Oakley Polarized Whisker.....

$195.00:(

http://mi.oakley.com/site/media/cache/43836cf32d958.jpg_0_0_0.jpg

bcampbe7
08-15-2006, 05:30 PM

Yeah, those are nice. I also have some Oakley A-frames. The wire frame glasses feel much stronger.

I have been happy with Oakley. Some people hate then though.

If I were you I would go to your nearest mall and find a Sunglass Hut and try some on. :cool:

beef
08-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Costco has Maui's for about $60 and up. Polarized glass lenses = no scratchy. Paid more than I wanted to for mine, but have had them for years. Get a leash for them for in the boat! Had a friend of mine plunk her $300 pair of prescription glasses into the drink...

pq2
08-15-2006, 05:31 PM
I also race sailboats, so I need good sunglasses, I recomend Oakleys or Revos. The sun reflected on the water is very bad for your eyes. I Prefer to pay a little bit more and keep my eyes protected. :cool:

milkmania
08-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Yeah, those are nice.

I have been happy with Oakley. Some people hate then though. If I were you I would go to your nearest mall and find a Sunglass Hut and try some on. :cool:

gotcha;)

don't think I would like buying sunglasses online

bcampbe7
08-15-2006, 05:33 PM
gotcha;)

don't think I would like buying sunglasses online

Me neither! The glasses that I thought looked cool online (Oakley gas cans) made me look like a fly. :D

PendO
08-15-2006, 05:35 PM
I got mine at Costco (Maui Jims - polarized) ... around 90-100 ... but I can't find the damn things so I will probably keep looking until summer is over, otherwise I will go out and buy a new pair and find mine the next day!

bigmac
08-15-2006, 05:37 PM

Maui Jims, overpriced in my opinion, but I've never owned any. Can't see how they'd be $100+ better than a good pair of RayBans.

I have a pair of Maui Jims with the titanium frames - they're the best sunglasses I've owned. I've had 'em about 2 years they've seen everything from raging Rocky Mountain snowstorms to getting blasted with salt spray in a Zodiac in 5 foot seas. They're light enough I can barely tell they're on my head, but secure enough that I can wear them on a motorcycle without them blowing off. Best part is my daughter works for an ophthalmologist with an optical shop and I can get 'em for half-price. I've had RayBans and Oakleys - these are better IMHO.

Ric
08-15-2006, 05:41 PM
costa del mar (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/www.costadelmar.com) . www.costadelmar.com (http://www.costadelmar.com)

KnoxX2
08-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Bigmac can you hook us up?

bigmac
08-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Bigmac can you hook us up?I'll ask her if she can swing a group buy:D :D

Seriously, I'll ask, but I'm not optimistic. 4000+ members of Team Talk getting sunglasses through her might raise some eyebrows at work, I'm guessing...

milkmania
08-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Bigmac can you hook us up?

agreed, BigMac...... let's talk:cool:

also saw that Bass Pro Shops carry Maui Jims and so does our local Tackle Box

H20skeefreek
08-15-2006, 05:55 PM
no wire frames but I love my Native Hardtops. www.nativeeyeware.com (http://www.nativeeyeware.com)

shepherd
I heard the Maui Jims are nice, but I haven't seen any nice polarized ones for less than $250+. I'd probably consider them if they were down in the $150 range. Are you guys saying there are deals to be had out there (other than BM's daughter?). Sounds like Costco may be worth checking...

BM, why are they so much better than RayBans? Just that they are lighter? More comfortable? (I guess that depends on individuals).

Footin
Love my Revo's but they are very pricey.

bigmac
08-15-2006, 07:04 PM
BM, why are they so much better than RayBans? Just that they are lighter? More comfortable? (I guess that depends on individuals).

Yes, lighter and more comfortable IMHO. The optics are arguably no better than top quality RayBans or Oakleys.

milkmania
08-15-2006, 07:06 PM
I have a pair of Maui Jims with the titanium frames - they're the best sunglasses I've owned. I've had 'em about 2 years they've seen everything from raging Rocky Mountain snowstorms to getting blasted with salt spray in a Zodiac in 5 foot seas. They're light enough I can barely tell they're on my head, but secure enough that I can wear them on a motorcycle without them blowing off. Best part is my daughter works for an ophthalmologist with an optical shop and I can get 'em for half-price. I've had RayBans and Oakleys - these are better IMHO.

which model are those?

Hoosier Bob
08-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Overstock.com! Serengetti, Rayban and many more usually for cheap.;) looking for some nice wire framed sunglasses
glass lens
perfer polarized

what would you guys recommend?

budget +/- $100.00

I like these
http://www.anysunglasses.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GZ-204&Category_Code=Gatorz_Polarized

milkmania
08-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Overstock.com! Serengetti, Rayban and many more usually for cheap.;)

again, don't think I'd like buying sunglasses online.....now if I could find something I like locally, get a model name/number. then that might make it a little easier

Hoosier Bob
08-15-2006, 08:29 PM
C'mon you'll look great in anything! Relax Milk chicks dig eclectic!again, don't think I'd like buying sunglasses online.....now if I could find something I like locally, get a model name/number. then that might make it a little easier

sassydog
08-15-2006, 09:04 PM
had Oakley Wire's for 3 yrs, and i love them!! Titanium frames are super light. non-slip for sweaty guys>

milkmania
08-15-2006, 09:12 PM
had Oakley Wire's for 3 yrs, and i love them!! Titanium frames are super light. non-slip for sweaty guys>
the ones I really like are $258.00:(

Oakley Square Wire Titanium

bigmac
08-15-2006, 09:16 PM
which model are those?http://www.mauijim.com/mjweb/public/images/lores/sngl/LQG501-02.jpg

Ka'anapali Classic. I like the larger eye size for wind protection.

jlf
08-16-2006, 07:57 AM
my husband and I both have Zeal Optics glasses with polarized lenses. We ordered them online and have had no problems with them. I am not sure how to include a link in a thread but the website is www.zealoptics.com

peason
08-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Ka'anapali Classic. I like the larger eye size for wind protection.

Ditto on the Maui Jim's - a friend of mine is the CFO - The corporate headquarters are actually located in Peoria, IL. where I grew up. Great sunglasses. I have the same pair that Bigmac has and I love them. :)

MinnX-10
08-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Ditto on the Maui Jim's - a friend of mine is the CFO - The corporate headquarters are actually located in Peoria, IL. where I grew up. Great sunglasses. I have the same pair that Bigmac has and I love them. :)

I am going to chime in here on the Maui Jim's as well. Have had a pair for years and my daughter sat on them... sent them back in with a very reasonable check and they were back and good as new with in a week! Great quality and great customer service!

Datdude
08-16-2006, 10:13 AM

http://mi.oakley.com/site/media/cache/43836cf32d958.jpg_0_0_0.jpg

There is a free pair of these lying on the bottom of Lake Minocqua if anyone is interested. My buddy was sitting in the back of my boat on Saturday and they blew off his head:cool:

6ballsisall
08-16-2006, 10:20 AM
I buy the cheapies now adays. In the past always bought the couple hundred dollar variety and always seemd to loose them or break them. Now I get the $15 kind and I can't loose them or break them if I try.......:rolleyes:

bcampbe7
08-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Agreed...

I have a pair of cheapy polarized that I use on the boat.
I lost a pair of Oakleys to the lake a few years ago and wear cheapies on the water now.

BrianM
08-16-2006, 10:36 AM
I have a pair of the Arnette Steel Demons with the grey polarized lens. Cost me about $80 online. I have had another pair of Arnette Ravens (black plastic frame) with the same lens for going on 10 years now. Love the lenses and the style.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-16-2006, 10:53 AM
budget +/- $100.00

Looks like this got blown out of proportion.......;)
Go with the Oakley square wire titaniums, if you can get past the $ tag, you won't be disappointed. Just make sure they are "REAL".... If you pay that much...;)

BrianM
08-16-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm sorry but I think that Oakley and Maui Jims are totally overpriced. You are paying an extra $100 or more for the name. The lenses optics and styles are no better than many of the other brands like RayBan, Arnette, Spy, Bolle and others. When it comes to sunglasses the saying 'you get what you pay for' is not necessarily the case.

bcampbe7
08-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Stores that sell Oakley have a display that if you have "good" polarization you can see an image. My $16 polarized cheapies worked.:D

I bought my Oakleys because I liked the style over all of the others. I tried on many different brands, and actually went looking for something other than Oakley. The style of Maui Jims that I liked were over $200 adn I wasn't going to pay that for sunglasses!

LakePirate
08-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Had a pair of Oakley SubZeros in High School, caught a fly ball in the eye. I had a pretty nice bruise but no damage to my eye. I believe that the quality lens protected my eye. Oakley's are approved for Military use in the Desert. You get what you pay for.

Hoff1
08-16-2006, 12:56 PM
anything that floats

bcampbe7
08-16-2006, 01:10 PM
anything that floats

Best advice yet!

Oakley E-wires do not float, by-the-way...:D

SKI*MC
08-16-2006, 01:42 PM
i want a pair of black flys, but for now i have $7 polarized aviators from wally world!

erkoehler
08-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Well, what do you know, Chicago MasterCraft sells Oakley's :D

Workin' 4 Toys
08-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Well, what do you know, Chicago MasterCraft sells Oakley's :D
Seriously????:cool:

milkmania
08-16-2006, 11:06 PM
well, found exactly what I was looking for.......

+/- $100.00:headbang:

$63.87!!!!:woohoo:

got the cold shoulder treatment at the Sunglass Shop in the mall... went down the stree to Sam's

Found Pacific Traders polarized glass lens that I love and the cutie behind the counter said they looked good on me:cool:

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0088301900973_L4.jpg

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=320261

This sporty metal wrap sunglass features an optically pure glass polarized lens that eliminates horizontal glare and offers true color accuracy. The lens also provides 100% UV protection and is front coated with a hydrophobic coating that allows water to be shed easily, and a silver flash mirror to help reduce vertical glare. An anti-reflective coating on the back of the lens absorbs light reflected from behind. This matte black metal frame is constructed of Monel, a tough durable material, with a spring hinge for greater comfort. Sunglasses are packaged in a hard case for added protection and storage. Polarized lenses are great for fishing, boating and driving.

erkoehler
08-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Seriously????:cool:

yep:):D :D

Workin' 4 Toys
08-16-2006, 11:13 PM
yep:):D :D
Deals too, or just the same as Milk's cold shoulder mall prices???

erkoehler
08-16-2006, 11:18 PM
You'll have to call or come in to talk pricing....besides, we just started carrying them last week and I haven't the slightest idea on what we have instock.

Ric
08-16-2006, 11:48 PM
those look good milk, that lens looks EXACTLY like an oakley a-wire with different arms

well, found exactly what I was looking for.......

+/- $100.00:headbang:

$63.87!!!!:woohoo:

got the cold shoulder treatment at the Sunglass Shop in the mall... went down the stree to Sam's

Found Pacific Traders polarized glass lens that I love and the cutie behind the counter said they looked good on me:cool:

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0088301900973_L4.jpg

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=320261

milkmania
08-17-2006, 12:00 AM
those look good milk, that lens looks EXACTLY like an oakley a-wire with different arms
did I mention the woman behind the counter was a cutie:love:

also, no ring:purplaugh

Ric
08-17-2006, 12:03 AM

also, no ring:purplaugh you didn't mention your next move, I do know that:rolleyes:

Monte
08-17-2006, 12:05 AM

also, no ring:purplaugh
Just so you know that's the FIRST thing I noticed about your puchase summation:D

milkmania
08-17-2006, 12:11 AM
you didn't mention your next move, I do know that:rolleyes:
well, my usual MO is dinner & a movie....
or we can just skip all that and just have breakfast in bed

Workin' 4 Toys
08-17-2006, 09:40 AM
You'll have to call or come in to talk pricing....besides, we just started carrying them last week and I haven't the slightest idea on what we have instock.
Yeah, yeah, come in and we'll talk........JR has schooled you well.......:rolleyes:

Don
08-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Only one guy mentioned Revo. I have Revos that have gone out of style and back in style with out breaking or falling apart. tuffest and best optics on the market.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Erk, ???
X METAL XX - X Metal/Black Iridium (04-120)
XX REPLACEMENT LENSES - Emerald Iridium (13-414)
X METAL SOFT VAULT - Black (07-027)

Ric
08-17-2006, 02:34 PM
well, my usual MO is dinner & a movie....
or we can just skip all that and just have breakfast in bed milk I hope you dont mind if I add this conversation to the "you might be a redneck if..." thread:D

Workin' 4 Toys
08-17-2006, 02:40 PM
milk I hope you dont mind if I add this conversation to the "you might be a redneck if..." thread:D
Milk, I think you may have an "opportunity" knocking......:rolleyes: :confused:

milkmania
08-17-2006, 02:49 PM
milk I hope you dont mind if I add this conversation to the "you might be a redneck if..." thread:D

not at all, I need all the laughs I can get

hacker
08-17-2006, 03:03 PM
I just "won" these on ebay. Brand new, $229 retail... got 'em for $98+7 shipping.

tones03
08-17-2006, 03:09 PM
I have had my Oakley's for 6+ years, poloarized and everything, love them

chudson
08-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Raybans are about as good as they come, the "aviators" or the "Wayfarers" the ole surfer sunglasses. Company has been around along time too!!!

http://www.sunglassesgiant.com/rayban.html

Tryin-again
08-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Dang Milk - If your avatar is one of you trailer park chicks - I'll be driving north PDQ......

milkmania
08-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Dang Milk - If your avatar is one of you trailer park chicks - I'll be driving north PDQ......

the the TP queen of 2005

08-17-2006, 03:44 PM
TRU DAT!!! MY Gawd Milk, that is outstanding!

Ric
08-17-2006, 03:44 PM
I just "won" these on ebay. Brand new, $229 retail... got 'em for $98+7 shipping. I posted a link about these earlier
give us your assesment after you've had the costa's awhile
They seem like damn good glasses for being on the water for sure

milkmania
08-17-2006, 03:52 PM
TRU DAT!!! MY Gawd Milk, that is outstanding!

too bad she was outstanding outside:(

she looks coldhttp://forum.mamboserver.com/images/extrasmilies/afraid.gif

08-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Good Golly miss molly!!!!:eek: :eek3: :D

Ric
12-27-2006, 04:23 PM
I just "won" these on ebay. Brand new, $229 retail... got 'em for $98+7 shipping.

I now carry this brand. PM me for details

Hacker, give us an update on what you think of the Costa Del Mars

12-27-2006, 05:01 PM
SO let me get this straight Ric, you sell set screws, and sunglasses?:confused:

Ric
12-27-2006, 05:33 PM
SO let me get this straight Ric, you sell set screws, and sunglasses?:confused: I don't think it's fair to say that I sell set screws

12-27-2006, 07:08 PM
I don't think it's fair to say that I sell set screws
OK, so you dont sell set screws. but you DO sell Sunglasses??:confused:

SO do you have a store? "Ric's sunglasses shop without set screws for sale." I didnt find it when i googled it. :confused:

Maristar210
12-27-2006, 07:30 PM
I have had two pair of these and I can honestly say I like them as much as I like my $125 Oakley's that kerplunked into the lake. (Last time I spend that kind of cash)

$.01 each plus $6.99 for shipping

I have bought three pairs of these from this guy and if you like the style they're all I ever needed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hot-XLoop-Designer-Sunglasses-T-Black-Black-X14_W0QQitemZ130062189956QQihZ003QQcategoryZ15666Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ric
12-28-2006, 11:06 AM
OK, so you dont sell set screws. but you DO sell Sunglasses??:confused:

SO do you have a store? "Ric's sunglasses shop without set screws for sale." I didnt find it when i googled it. :confused: UMP, you are correct, I don't officially sell anything on this website. It's not mine! 8p products should be on my site soon. Til then, go shovel some snow8p

12-28-2006, 11:25 AM
whats your website Ric? got a link to it? Lets do business baby. You and me, were good like that. We work a deal on the side, right? Talk to me there liver neck. lets make some money here jerky. Were in the sunglass business together, me and you, chisel chest.

Frank Rizzo

Ric
12-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Jerky boys is funny stuff

12-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Talk to me there muffin azz. lets make some money, you and me baby, were a team. we sell sheet and make money baby, its that simple. you wanna do business or what chisel chest? if this sunglass thing dont work out, we'll go in the roofin business there slick. Lets make some money baby.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-03-2007, 09:05 AM
SO let me get this straight Ric, you sell set screws, and sunglasses?:confused:
Hey Erk.....How are things............??:confused:

Maristar210
04-12-2007, 12:14 PM
:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

04-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Stevo, you really are diggin up the old threads! where did you get taht shovel?:D

Maristar210
04-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Stevo, you really are diggin up the old threads! where did you get taht shovel?:D

Isn't this where the Super Hero talk began? Or am I mistaken?

pram
04-12-2007, 01:02 PM
UMP, I don't know how I missed reading this thread, but I am glad that I found it. Your story of change and perseverance is truly inspiring. I seem to remember you making reference to being heavy at one point in your life but I had no idea as to the extent of it. Not only are you happier and more confident in your life but you have also extended it by 20-30 years (Super heroes never die do they?).

Congratulations on your life change

Slinkyredfoot
04-12-2007, 01:09 PM
UMP, I don't know how I missed reading this thread, but I am glad that I found it. Your story of change and perseverance is truly inspiring. I seem to remember you making reference to being heavy at one point in your life but I had no idea as to the extent of it. Not only are you happier and more confident in your life but you have also extended it by 20-30 years (Super heroes never die do they?).

Congratulations on your life change
I do not know how I missed this thread either, but I too am glad I found it. You do have to feel great about yourself for the obvious hard work and will power it took to loose that weight. Great job UMP, what a chick magnet.....:cool:

Maristar210
04-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Look at post #45 guys, its dated 4/11/06

Monte
04-12-2007, 01:23 PM
UMP, I never knew..

You done good!;)

I agree with ric and 210.... NO MORE PICS OF THE LEATHER PANTS!!!:noface:

pram
04-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Look at post #45 guys, its dated 4/11/06

Ahhh I see. I wasn't addicted back then 8p as I am now :D

sassydog
04-12-2007, 02:34 PM
WHOA!! UMP, i never knew! good for you man, that's a lot of hard work! Don't listen to those other buys about the leather pants, you rock on with your bad self! Hey i got a hot date next week, you think you can fedex those out to me, they look like they could garauntee me getting some! haha.

04-12-2007, 02:54 PM
WHOA!! UMP, i never knew! good for you man, that's a lot of hard work! Don't listen to those other buys about the leather pants, you rock on with your bad self! Hey i got a hot date next week, you think you can fedex those out to me, they look like they could garauntee me getting some! haha.
Sassy, normally I rent those pants out, but I will let you use them for free! cuz your a friend and your gonna teach me to be a Footin maniac at MM3!

I will warn you though, these pants will get you more arse than a toilet seat! You lady may get a bit mad at them though, cuz every chick in the place will want to dance with you......that special dance.....the "horizontal mamba":D Rock on my friend! Pant are in the mail!

04-12-2007, 02:58 PM
UMP, I never knew..

You done good!;)

I agree with ric and 210.... NO MORE PICS OF THE LEATHER PANTS!!!:noface:
Ric is fascinated with my leather pants Monte. The only thing is, I dont know what part of his he/she "jekyl & hyde" personality it is. :o :o

jbfootin
04-12-2007, 04:45 PM
UMP is MCTT's answer for Richard Simmons!;) :D

JohnE
04-12-2007, 05:14 PM
UMP,

Congrats. I am amazed and impressed. Nice that you have the humility to post that on here. Your past thread has motivated me a few times, and I'm sure this thread will motivate some too. This will help inspire some people, I'm sure.

John

O2BESOHUGE
04-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Quite Impressive! Now You Can Be Around A Lot Longer For Yourself And Your Family!

You Should Be Proud Of Yourself!

O2

Ric
05-29-2007, 02:03 PM
While we are on the subject of sun defense what are you guys wearing for sunglasses?

I have a pair of Costa Del Mar Turbines, I like them so much I bought my wife a pair. Their specially made for water sports. Great glasses.

http://216.25.100.116/miva/4.12/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CDM&Product_Code=B_Turbine&Category_Code=

I bought my wife a pair of Costa Del Mar Ballast awhile back and liked them so much, I picked up the line here (http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?p_id=cd103050&ppinc=softgoods&exact_match=on). Ump option, I don't sell sunglasses.

Apparantly, Overtons (http://overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Costa_Del_Mar_Fathom_Sunglasses_ Black_Frame_Gray_CR_39_Lenses&cname=&r=view&i=71329&aID=73E)carries some Costas now too. If you've never had a pair of Costa Del Mar "Costa580" lenses on... you don't know what you're missing. The clarity and color are amazing.

Pretty much any bass pro shops and any cabelas have these if you want to see what it's all about.

betsy&david Harrison
05-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Ray Bans or Maui Jims

T Scott
05-29-2007, 02:40 PM
I have a pair of Wiley X and a pair of Maui Jim's.

brianaw26
05-29-2007, 02:46 PM
SPY Hielo polorized

http://spyoptic.com/dimg/SPY670375062135.jpg

Sodar
05-29-2007, 02:48 PM
I wear these Gas Cans while I am on the boat... Love the Polarized Lenses!
http://www.surfinglifestore.com/images/product_images/accessories/sunglasses/mattblackpolargascan_500.jpg

And these Oil Drums on a daily basis... Love Oakley! Plus, their headquarters is in the OC, so warranty repairs are free and a 20 minute drive away!!
http://www.isyte.com/sunglasses/frames/index/03-487.jpg

chudson
05-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Raybans Wayfarer for about twenty some years now!!!

Ric
05-29-2007, 03:05 PM
ya don't know what yer missin.

Costa Del Mar Triple Tail 580 Blue Mirror. (have your polarized Oakleys handy when you try these on)

Chicago190
05-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Ray Ban Predators (RB 4034) and my old Boston Whaler croakies in case they fall in the water.

http://www.123optic.com/Image/RayBan/4034-652-3F.jpg

BTW has anyone seen Mastercraft croakies (the things so you can dangle them around your neck or make them float if they fall in the water)?

TX.X-30 fan
05-29-2007, 03:20 PM
I wear these Gas Cans while I am on the boat... Love the Polarized Lenses!
http://www.surfinglifestore.com/images/product_images/accessories/sunglasses/mattblackpolargascan_500.jpg

And these Oil Drums on a daily basis... Love Oakley! Plus, their headquarters is in the OC, so warranty repairs are free and a 20 minute drive away!!
http://www.isyte.com/sunglasses/frames/index/03-487.jpg

Those oil drums scream something and its on the tip of my tongue?? Any thoughts Ric?? :D

Just cut a few holes and this would not look much worse. 8p

Ric
05-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Or, there is the HAMMERHEAD for you crazy kids. Again, I cannot emphasize the lens quality enough.

Jwhitsett1129
05-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Smith. I used to swear by Oakley, but picked up a pair of Smith Empires in Crested Butte last summer. Easily the best pair of sunglasses I have ever owned. The lenses are easily interchangeable, so I can go from low light to polarized in a matter of seconds.

Sodar
05-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Those oil drums scream something and its on the tip of my tongue?? Any thoughts Ric?? :D

Just cut a few holes and this would not look much worse. 8p

Hey, just cause you Texas boys do not have any idea what is cool.