PDA

View Full Version : Blower placement

Hunterb
04-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Hi everyone,

I am progressing with the rebuilding of my 1990 PS 190. One of the parts I got with the boat that was in the big box of parts is the blower. I know it goes under the floor somewhere and then a hose connects it to the vent opening by the left exhaust hose, but I don't know where the blower unit itself is normally positioned. Is there a 'best spot' to put it? Also, would you normally have any hose coming off the 'intake side' of the blower or does that depend of where you mount it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bruce

east tx skier
04-14-2005, 05:27 PM
Hunter, mine is located on the starboard side of the engine (a bit underneath the engine about midway back). The hose runs straight back along the inside of the starboard exhaust pipe. Hopefully, this picture will help. I lightened it up a bit so you could see the hose. Obviously, the blower isn't visible, but it's connected to the front of the hose.

Cloaked
04-14-2005, 06:14 PM
In the earlier model boats (since you may have this option) the blower is located above the fuel tank with hoses routed to the accommodating vent.

AirJunky
04-14-2005, 06:24 PM
You sure Sporty? Seems like it would be absolutely necessary to vent the engine area as the carb (in this case) will be the most likely place gas fumes will come from.

On my '94 their down by the stringer under the engine. In fact, I believe they might be using the same bolts as the motor mounts.

Cloaked
04-14-2005, 06:25 PM
As we all know (but seldom see consequences) gas vapors are very volitile. Again, I have seen the results of an outboard boat where the tanks were stored "behind a curtain" in the rear of the boat. Vapors are released and fires do happen.

I was driving down the road one day and looked over at the local launch area. Just about 100 yards out this is what I saw. I turned around and went back to see what the heck was going on. A guy and his GF were standing there, the guy was wet from swimming. He explained to me about the fire that originated from vapors behind an unvented area. Please excuse the lesser quality of the scan. The pic is getting old. This happened a few years back and I caught it on film. Digital has spoiled me.

Cloaked
04-14-2005, 06:28 PM
You sure Sporty? Seems like it would be absolutely necessary to vent the engine area as the carb (in this case) will be the most likely place gas fumes will come from.I hear ya' but actually very few fumes come from a carb. However, I'm sure there is validity to both opinions. I was just offering up an alternate place that MC once placed a blower. I'd hate to put one in the floor area of the boat. Water would be my concern but in any manner, blowers are very important but often overlooked as a safety feature.

sfitzgerald351
04-14-2005, 07:36 PM
In the older boats the blower itself is mounted above the gas tank as in Sporty's photo. But the hose runs down behind the tank to the bilge. This causes the air to be pulled into the bilge from the front intake, run under the motor box, and then gets sucked out the back by the blower motor. Many boats have this design and most blowers move some serious air so I think this would work fine.

But since the boat in question is different than mine I'd figure out where the blower and hoses are normally for that exact year. I'm sure the answer will be posted shortly.

erkoehler
04-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Man, that sucks!

rem_pss308
04-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Mine is run just like tex, and Air junky. Under the engine.
The hose runs back to the vents at the back of the boat.

The blower motors are water resistant.
The way mine is mounted, the floater switch will kick on the bilge pump before water gets high enough to get to the blower motor.

Hope this helps

Hunterb
04-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies and pictures. I think I will try to secure it on the drivers side of the motor and run the hose along the exhaust pipe as in the picture from east tx skier. I think it's probably more efficient to have the blower pushing air rather than pulling it.

Thanks again for the replies. I'm sure I will have more questions as I put this boat back together.

Bruce

east tx skier
04-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Just a follow up. Looked at my father-in-law's boat this weekend (98 PS 205). A more precise description of where the blower is located is just inside and behind the front, starboard motor mount.

jimmer2880
04-19-2005, 06:04 AM
Just be careful of the hose. When I removed the rear floor board in my '95 - I noticed the blower hose had colapsed. So - I went to the local Home Depot & purchased some rigid tin drier duct. Now I go blower into a short section of flex, into the rigid (which is zippy-tied to something to keep it from moving around) then back to flex where it bends up at the gas tank to go out. I used 2 pieces of the rigid. Works well - been there for 5 years now.

east tx skier
04-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Mine is collapsed a bit, too, but still blows strong out the back. Not a lot of room down there.

NatesGr8
04-23-2005, 01:56 PM
I recently had to replace some sections of my blower hose and i found that aluminum cans with the ends cut off work very well as the junction between the two mating hoses

:twocents:

erkoehler
04-23-2005, 02:30 PM
Definetly want to make sure that the blower is in tip top shape!

Hunterb
04-25-2005, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the replies,

I think the PO installed an aftermarket fuel filter/water separator where the stock blower would be. I essentially bought a hull, motor, and a big box of parts and I am busy putting it all back together. I just finished all the carpentry to rebuild the interior (side panels, back seat, spotter seat) and am taking them for upholstery this week. I have a couple of minor issues, like to blower to solve, and then will install new carpet hopefully in time to get the interior pieces back. Then it's a wet sanding of the exterior, polishing, new decals and away we go, I hope.

I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks again.

Bruce

jayocheskey
04-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Maybe a dumb question here; but you can blame it on me being a rookie. Two main purposes for the blower. One is to release combustible gas vapors? and to warm the engine? Are these both accurate?

sfitzgerald351
04-25-2005, 02:36 PM
The only purpose of the blower is to vent the engine compartment to get rid of any explosive gas vapors. Gas vapor is heavier than air so it sinks to the bottom of your bilge as a bomb waiting to happen unless you vent. Of course, a well tuned boat shouldn't be venting much gas vapor, but who wants to take the chance. Cars don't need blowers since any vapors can fall out of the engine compartment to the road and disperse harmlessly.

94PS190
04-26-2005, 02:58 PM
I just replaced my blower and hose. My hose had a piece of PVC stuffed inside it where it was Zipped tied to the exhaust. It made it a little more difficult to replace, but worth it. The hose is held firmly in place without collapsing. FYI - I replaced the blower because the old one wouldn't blow, new one didn't either. Just a loose connection, and a Thirty dollar lesson.

east tx skier
04-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Mine has the PVC coupling as well. So did my father-in-law's boat.

AirJunky
04-26-2005, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the replies,

I think the PO installed an aftermarket fuel filter/water separator where the stock blower would be.

Hey Bruce,
My 205 has the water separator in front of the blower, both on the port side. The blower is near the motor mount & the separator towards the front of the bilge.

east tx skier
04-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Just for the record, my separator is on the port side of the bilge.