PDA

View Full Version : Towing a boat behind a motorcycle carrier?

AirJunky
04-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Anyone ever towed a 20' ski boat when they also had one of these motorcycle carriers (http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle_carrier.htm) on the truck too?

As far as weight I should be fine. Thinking of putting a 300 lb enduro on the back of a Dakota (6400 lbs tow/500 lbs tongue). But I'm wondering what additional torque this would put on the truck or receiver. Is it safe? Or bound to be a statistic? :eek:

MasterMason
04-14-2005, 05:18 PM
My dad had an old truck that he had welded motercycle cariers to the front and back on the bumpers, had a camper, and towed an 18ft wooden trojan. We went all over the country with that thing when I was a kid. Never had a problem because of the motercycles.

planoboy
04-14-2005, 05:49 PM
If its a 4wd, hiddenhitch makes a reciever that'll bolt right up under the front bumper.
I got one on my camping mobile. put carryall up there.
http://www.hiddenhitch.com/Home/

Mag_Red
04-14-2005, 05:50 PM
I guess if the combined tongue wt doesn't exceed your truck rating, and the Motorcycle carrier is designed to accomodate hooking a boat to it......you should be fine. I don't think that I would personally do it. :twocents: Why not put the bike in the bed of the truck???

AirJunky
04-14-2005, 05:53 PM
Canopy in the truck bed..... thats more than likely what I'll end up doing. But there will probably be times I want to bring it all with me!

Mag_Red
04-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Just thought of this also.............by moving the ball say 3' behind where it normally mounts, you would be increasing the tongue wt that is carried by the reciever. ( something about physics and a level)

AirJunky
04-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Just thought of this also.............by moving the ball say 3' behind where it normally mounts, you would be increasing the tongue wt that is carried by the reciever. ( something about physics and a level)
Yea, one would hope that the manufacturers thought of that when they rated the things for 500 lbs.
I'm more worried about the torque it would put on the receiver when in a hard turn. Guess I'd have to make a point not to get in that situation.

sfitzgerald351
04-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Here's their disclaimer from the website...

"The 2005 Versa-Haul Sport motorcycle carriers are now being manufactured to tow a small vehicle or light trailer. The main tube was not designed to carry tongue weight. It is only suitable for towing trailers and small vehicles where there is no tongue weight exerted on the hitch. The towing capacity of the main tube is 1/3 of the towing capacity of your hitch. Do not tow over 3000 lbs with the product."

From this I'd say forget it and get a front mounted hitch. In order for your boat trailer to be properly balance you need a couple of hundred pounds on the tongue and the m-cycle carrier isn't designed for this. In addition, add up the tongue weight of your trailer and m-cycle and I'd bet it's well beyond the 500lb limit of the truck's hitch (and because of the additional moment arm of the longer effective receiver distance to the ball is probably much worse).

If you do it, be sure to have someone videoing so we can see the wreck!

erkoehler
04-14-2005, 08:24 PM
That would definetly be an interesting setup! Keep us updated on how it works if you do it.

sfitzgerald351
04-14-2005, 11:18 PM
This makes me recall a conversation I had while looking at slide-in campers for trucks. I wanted to be able to tow my boat and have the camper in at the same time. Basically, the only tow hitches that you can put an extension on safely and still tow the boat are the big Class V hitches (12,000 lb rated!). These have a 2.5" receiver instead of the usual 2" on the class III-IV and can accept an extension up to 38". You pretty much need a 3/4 ton or beefier pickup to put one of these hitches on...

From the web I found out that with an extension of 7" - 18" with a standard class III hitch (2" receiver) you "Lose 1/3 Of The Carrying Capacity Of Your Hitch"!

Ben
04-15-2005, 06:56 AM
BIll,

I also vote no for the proposal. You are correct in assuming the extra moment would be both in the lateral as well as vertical directions. I don't think you'd really stretch it too much the lateral, unless you slammed on the brakes in a tight turn. You can hope to prevent this, but can't aways control the other guy.... However, your 3500 lb boat / trailer is over their 3000# limit, not to re-mention you would be exceeding tht tongue weight spec.

Add the front hitch, or have a beefier hitch created for the rear if you really need to do both on the back.

Another idea, from left field, would be to extend the tongue on your trailer and mount the bike platform on it. That would be some work though...

ktn_cmu
04-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Another idea, from left field, would be to extend the tongue on your trailer and mount the bike platform on it. That would be some work though...

You'd have to be careful if you try this...remember, the trailer turns in comparison to the vehicle...thus the bike may hit the truck in a corner.

Ben
04-15-2005, 10:09 AM
Good point, would be involved in the "work" portion. May need to be a pretty long extension....

How about ramps to drive the bike up into the boat? Oh wait, there's a motor in the middle. Darn inboards...