PDA

View Full Version : New laptop

dmayer84
06-12-2008, 01:50 PM
I just ordered myself a refurbished Mac Book Pro, decided I will give them a shot. I can run windows as well so I figured why not. looking for some recommendations from current users, I know a lot of you are mac fans, on what software to get for it. I know I am getting VMware so far so I can run windows.

123src
06-12-2008, 03:14 PM
You're gonna love it! I am currently running Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. I DO NOT run windows, though I could. Apple is the answer. It takes some getting used to, but it will win you over.

See Thread:
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=20857

Happy Learning!

123src
06-12-2008, 03:16 PM
I forgot to explain that I run those windows based programs on the Apple platform. They work better on the apple platform in my opinion. i have found NO NEED to load Windows OS on my machine...

bmeth11
06-12-2008, 03:53 PM
I use bootcamp instead of VMware... dual boot system... can choose one or the other at startup... I have many programs...

-Microsoft Office 2008
-Adobe CS Premium Suite
-Final Cut Express 4
-Macromedia Suite
-MacTheRipper
-Toast 8
-Aperature2
-iLife '08 Suite

and more added weekly...

brucemac
06-12-2008, 04:22 PM
don't know if you have your heart set on VMWare's mac vm solution, but Parallel's Desktop for mac is pretty nice too. you should check it out. dual boot with bootcamp and parallels is nice.

nuckinfutz
06-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Out of the box, you really dont need much. But here are some recomendations of apps I can live without, but choose not to.

Free stuff
Firefox (in case you get bored with Safari and want more toys in you internet browsing)
StuffIt Expander (for decompressing the occasional rar files)
Growl (Visual based notification for various applications)
labtick (forces the backlights on the keyboard to illuminate)
Adium (for Yahoo, MSN, and AOL Instant messenging all in one)
Skype (for VOIP and video conferencing)
HandBrake (for ripping DVD's to MP4 for ipod's )
LiquidMac (for impressing your friends with the built in tilt sensor)
Senuti (for extracting songs off of a ipod to your HD)
SimplyBurns (to copy or create iso files of a Disc)
Tinkertool (to get into hidden features in the MAC OS x)
TextWrangler (The best Text editor for Mac)
Google earth (cuz its fun to see the world)
joost (IP TV thats free)
Audacity (for converting and manipulation of Mp3's)
Cyberduck (great ftp client)
fugu (great ssh client)

Ones I Paid for and do not regret
iLife 08 $79.00
iWork 08 $79.00
Parallels (I dont want to reboot just to open a visio file) $79.00
VMware (because Paralles did not update for leopard right away, and it was buggy, VMware worked out of the box. Paralles is 100% now) $79.00
CleanApp (for uninstalling apps and there associated files) $13.00
Quicktime Pro (exporting is handy) $30.00
Screencast (creating tutorials for mother in law when she gets lost in MAC OS X)
Flip4Mac (so you can view wmv files in quicktime)

Ones I paid for and still cry myself to sleep
Outlook 2004 $249.00 (slow, but I work in a MS world that is forcing me to use outlook)

dmayer84
06-16-2008, 11:03 PM
well it showed up today, liking it so far. I think the biggest challenge is to get some of my printers setup to print from the mac that arent natively compatible. It will be done, just need to setup a virtual printer on the windows machine in the middle.

bigmac
06-17-2008, 03:49 AM
Boot Camp vs VMWare - nothing wrong with using the latter. It will work well unless the Windows programs you're using require Direct X.

Can't really help you with programs to buy, but you should feel free to post or PM if you questions, and especially if you have a specific need. Most programs or functions have a Mac equivalent, but you may not know what it is.