PDA

View Full Version : Hey, I need a Flute for my kid

NSXBill
04-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Anyone know of any sites like Boattrader.com except for musical instruments?

east tx skier
04-14-2005, 05:53 PM
I found this in a google search. They sell new and reconditioned instruments. No personal dealings with them though.

www.1800usaband.com

If you know what you want, ebay is a good resource, too.

erkoehler
04-14-2005, 06:05 PM
Never new they sold used instruments like that! Good luck on your search!

etduc
04-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Google any one of these dealers, I've used 3 out of the 4.
Dilllon's Music
B&W Music
Hickey's Music
Mouthpiece Express

I assume this is for a beginner, and you are new to woodwinds instruments. Stay away from ebay, unless it is a verified dealer of used instruments. Used woodwinds are all about who previously owned it, or took (or didn't) take care of it. An instrument can look very nice, and be in need of alot of repairs (new pads, alignment,etc). Buy name brand. Yamaha, Selmer, Artley.
Also, local music stores have rental returns.

etduc - Trombonist
East Texas Symphonic Band

TTAdmin
04-14-2005, 07:13 PM
ebay.... They should have quite a few

USC8791
04-14-2005, 08:43 PM
etduc - Trombonist

Hey, etduc, I'm looking for a straight Bach 42 (No F). If you know of a decent one for sale, PM me. Thanks!

USC8791
04-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Anyone know of any sites like Boattrader.com except for musical instruments?

Try www.netinstruments.com

You can browse for sale listings and also list a "wanted" item.

Good luck.

NSXBill
04-15-2005, 09:25 AM
I assume this is for a beginner, and you are new to woodwinds instruments. Stay away from ebay, unless it is a verified dealer of used instruments. Used woodwinds are all about who previously owned it, or took (or didn't) take care of it. An instrument can look very nice, and be in need of alot of repairs (new pads, alignment,etc). Buy name brand. Yamaha, Selmer, Artley.
Also, local music stores have rental returns.

etduc - Trombonist
etcuc, see any here to avoid?
http://www.clarinuts.com/clarinuts/pages/FluteItems.htm

tex
04-15-2005, 10:08 AM
I'm ready for some band camp stories!

etduc
04-15-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm ready for some band camp stories!

This one time, at band camp...
With a flute player...
and then we...
(edit)

Sorry, this is a family forum.
etduc

tex
04-15-2005, 10:48 AM
This one time, at band camp...
With a flute player...
and then we...
(edit)

Sorry, this is a family forum.
etduc

I can relate-I was a college cheerleader. When you are straight, the numbers are on your side.

etduc
04-15-2005, 11:17 AM
etcuc, see any here to avoid?
http://www.clarinuts.com/clarinuts/pages/FluteItems.htm

Remember, we're talking about student instruments.
Yamaha, has the most consistent student instruments, in my opinion. (Playability, action, tuning.)
The instrument needs to be play tested, by a good musician, sometimes the instrument's build is slightly off. (How well the key pads seal the holes, is the main thing.) (This can be adjusted, at a quality repair shop,if needed.) A beginning student or parent, just not going to know.

the above site, as some pretty good deals. If the return policy is legit, as good an anything on ebay. I have bought many pro horns, on ebay, kinda as a hobby. The horns I play, are not necessarily the ones I
recommend for beginners. Beginners need a more forgiving instrument.

Waterski anology. Would you start a beginner slalom skier, on a Mapple?

Please don't get caught up, in the buy "used pro" instrument, thinking the kid will grow in to it. Kid's develop at different rates.

ETDuc

east tx skier
04-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Good info, ETDuc. By the way, looks like our location is almost the same. :wavey:

André
04-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Edited: :eek: bad joke!

NSXBill
04-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Remember, we're talking about student instruments.
Yamaha, has the most consistent student instruments, in my opinion. (Playability, action, tuning.)
The instrument needs to be play tested, by a good musician, sometimes the instrument's build is slightly off. (How well the key pads seal the holes, is the main thing.) (This can be adjusted, at a quality repair shop,if needed.) A beginning student or parent, just not going to know.

the above site, as some pretty good deals. If the return policy is legit, as good an anything on ebay. I have bought many pro horns, on ebay, kinda as a hobby. The horns I play, are not necessarily the ones I
recommend for beginners. Beginners need a more forgiving instrument.

Waterski anology. Would you start a beginner slalom skier, on a Mapple?

Please don't get caught up, in the buy "used pro" instrument, thinking the kid will grow in to it. Kid's develop at different rates.

ETDuc
OK then, you're saying the $288 Yamaha would be OK (assuming seals well, good return policy, etc.). I am a cheap bastard. How about some of the Selmers on that list for $155? Still OK with above assumptions. She has a rental Selmer now.

Also, I have been told that Nickel plating is inferior to Silver plating on Flutes. Comments?

SteveO
04-15-2005, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=NSXBill]OK then, you're saying the $288 Yamaha would be OK (assuming seals well, good return policy, etc.). I am a cheap bastard. How about some of the Selmers on that list for $155? Still OK with above assumptions. She has a rental Selmer now.

It looks like Bills new ski will be postponed in light of the new musical interests at home. Kids or boats, which is the bigger money pit?

NSXBill
04-15-2005, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=NSXBill]OK then, you're saying the $288 Yamaha would be OK (assuming seals well, good return policy, etc.). I am a cheap bastard. How about some of the Selmers on that list for $155? Still OK with above assumptions. She has a rental Selmer now.

It looks like Bills new ski will be postponed in light of the new musical interests at home. Kids or boats, which is the bigger money pit?
I plan thoroughly, ask Doug. When I get a ski or flute, you can garrantee I have spent way too much time and effort researching it! :)

etduc
04-15-2005, 03:36 PM
OK then, you're saying the $288 Yamaha would be OK (assuming seals well, good return policy, etc.). I am a cheap bastard. How about some of the Selmers on that list for $155? Still OK with above assumptions. She has a rental Selmer now.

Also, I have been told that Nickel plating is inferior to Silver plating on Flutes. Comments?

Yeap, your good to go. Depending, if your kid is worth the extra $133 for the Yamaha. At any rate, you should be able to get all your money back should you sale it later.

Nickel plating will look better longer, actually it nickel/chrome plating. More durable , tends to have brighter tone. (Higher bling factor)
Silver plating will tarnish, so more cosmetic care, but tends to darken the tone. (More important, if she stays with it.)

Second, if she stays with it. You will be buying another in, about 2 to 3 years. If that is the case, she'll need this one for a spare, and/or for marching season.
etduc

etduc
04-15-2005, 03:38 PM
Good info, ETDuc. By the way, looks like our location is almost the same. :wavey:

I thought you knew. I live in Longview. :wavey: Howdy, partner!

USC8791
04-15-2005, 03:40 PM
A couple of other things to keep in mind. The beginner level instruments are more durable. The sound won't be as pretty, but no beginning player makes a pretty sound anyway. Be careful when purchasing "price point" instruments like Jupiter or Wal-Mart brands (yes, Wal-Mart sells instruments now). They may be ok for a 1st year student, but no kid wants to wear Zips when everyone else is wearing Nike and Reebok (if you follow my point). We all know how cruel kids can be, and I'd hate for a kid to quit music because of instrument brand embarrasment. I'm not telling you to break the bank, but just keep it in mind. My first horn was a rental in 6th grade. In 8th grade I mowed lawns to pay for my 1st pro level horn (that I still play today 25 years later). Talk to your kid's band director; they can help guide you.

NSXBill
04-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Leaning away from Nickle plating....

Talked to the gentleman who rebuilds the flutes on the above site. Yamaha is a little nicer, but leaning towards the silver plated Selmer for price. A Selmer should not be an embarrasing brand, corrrect?

She's worth more than $133 extra...$133 million extra! But that's ski money we're talkin' ;)

etduc
04-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Leaning away from Nickle plating....

Talked to the gentleman who rebuilds the flutes on the above site. Yamaha is a little nicer, but leaning towards the silver plated Selmer for price. A Selmer should not be an embarrasing brand, corrrect?

She's worth more than $133 extra...$133 million extra! But that's ski money we're talkin' ;)

Selmer is the big dog, in the music instrument world. They got making woodwinds down. Parts are available everywhere. Not a bad instrument.
They own several different brands. They got a website.

Besides, a man gots to ski.

Ric
04-15-2005, 04:25 PM
Selmer is the big dog, in the music instrument world. They got making woodwinds down. Parts are available everywhere. Not a bad instrument.
They own several different brands. They got a website.

Besides, a man gots to ski.
I've always wondered
why is the flute considered a woodwind?

kpickett
04-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Well, I've got to weigh in here, since I'm a symphony conductor and flutist.

Definitely go for the Yamaha, no question. Yamaha is much more consistent in the quality of their instruments. I've had students with Selmer flutes that literally fall apart - same with Armstrong. My opinion is to buy the best flute you can afford. The only consideration is whether your child will stick with it. But, it's pretty easy to sell an instrument.

Don't even consider nickel plating. Get the silver plate, or if you can afford it, a sterling headjoint.

I have to disagree with the advanced ski analogy - here's why: student model flutes often don't have a very well made headjoint (the part you blow into). This makes it MUCH harder to play or get a good tone. That ends up frustrating the student and they get discouraged or quit. I sometimes have a student play my flute to see how much easier it is. Remember, you have to listen to the practicing/whining at home!

Let me know if you have any other questions (about flutes).

As far as the woodwind issue - flutes were originally made of wood. In fact, there is a movement now to go back to wooden flutes. Many of the European players are doing that.

etduc
04-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Well, I've got to weigh in here, since I'm a symphony conductor and flutist.

So... where in the heck have you been. :smile:

kpickett
04-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Actually, I just got back from conducting the Mozart Requiem in Alaska.

Ric
04-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Actually, I just got back from conducting the Mozart Requiem in Alaska.
I cannot help but picture that conductor boyfriend of hers on the movie Money Pit
:purplaugh

kpickett
04-15-2005, 06:21 PM
I cannot help but picture that conductor boyfriend of hers on the movie Money Pit
:purplaugh

Never seen it. Is it good?

I always like the Maestro on Seinfeld.

Ric
04-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Money pit is a classic tom hanks movie
funny
you conductors would really like that character I'm sure!