PDA

View Full Version : Tile Saw

Flatwaterfooter
06-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Seeing how so many people on here have knowledge in many areas I will post my my question. I have a to make a few cuts in granite tiles. I am looking at buying this saw:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=206291-1255-60084A&lpage=none

The tiles are 1/4" thick. Will this saw handle the job.

kingu
06-12-2008, 09:33 AM
That should work. Just remember to make sure the water is running good all the time. The water pump can get clogged up after a few cuts from the dust. Make your cuts very slowly or the granite will crumble.

Flatwaterfooter
06-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the advice I will be sure to go slow with lots of water.

sdesmond
06-12-2008, 09:40 AM
I have a saw like that and it works great. The water goes below the deck and the blade flings it up. That yellow cover over the blade pushes the water back down. There is nothing to get cloged. These are easy to use.

atlfootr
06-12-2008, 09:44 AM
If you only have a couple of tiles, why don't you just rent one?

RexDog1
06-12-2008, 09:48 AM
If you only have a couple of tiles, why don't you just rent one?

yep you beat me to it:D

I don’t know? it is all plastic and you will burn through the motor fast …… how much cutting are you doing? They cut it for you at home depot might be a better cut and cheaper than getting a saw

But if you go with this saw take it very slow………:rolleyes:

Flatwaterfooter
06-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Rental is 60 bucks for 8 hours. I am sure it is for a higher quality saw, but I can get this one for the same cost and have it for future projects

endl
06-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Rent a good 10-12" saw with a good diamond blade and you will get better cuts and it gives you more room to raise the tile to make L shape cuts ects so you dont have to break out any corners.

kingu
06-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Oh, that's cool. Mine has a pump that sits down in the basin and you have to pull it out every little bit and clean it out.

Ski-me
06-12-2008, 10:22 AM
I've used that same saw to do several projects. It works great and the blade lasted for a long time. I've probably done 10-12 different, full size projects with it (bathrooms and Kitchens mainly).

It is a little slow but works very well. Don't depend on the tee to get perfect 90 degree cuts. I found that if I scribed a line with a pencil, it worked quite nicely.

After so many projects, I decided to get a nicer one with a bigger blade. It was on a flatbed with the blade and motor on a support beam above. The new one cut quicker but I still needed the smaller, cheaper unit (yours) to get all of my cuts in.

One of the great advantages of this small unit is the custom cutting. You can plunge the tile down on the blade to make a lot of precise cuts such as toilet rings, duct vents or electrical outlets. (You do have to take the blade guard off though). With the bigger saw, I couldn't do those cuts.

Definitely worth it! I paid $89 for mine so that's a good deal!

funk
06-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Agree with all others. I have the exact same saw. Have done two bathrooms and a kitchen and it's worked fine. Just slow and steady and make sure the blade cover is on, otherwise water will get you. Also, the water turns into clay after quite a few tiles so you have to keep adding water to it or clean it out periodically. Doesn't sound like you'll have that issue though.

rodltg2
06-12-2008, 10:45 AM
the stock blades usually wont last long for granite. be craefull not to let it run dry, it will heat up fast.

here is my saw :D

RexDog1
06-12-2008, 10:50 AM
the stock blades usually wont last long for granite. be craefull not to let it run dry, it will heat up fast.

here is my saw :D

Hi Rod
I had some parts cut by water jet and they were cutting Granite with it !! it was so cool
Have you guys looked into this?? and a fun tool to play with!!!!

rodltg2
06-12-2008, 11:07 AM
yep, but hey are really expensive. whats cool is not dust !

Ric
06-12-2008, 11:48 AM
waterjet is awesome. I've been able to cut alot of costs going to waterjet rather than flame cut or sawcut in all kinds of metals . Plastics too!

Willski
06-12-2008, 11:51 AM
A friend and I bought a 60 dollar saw similar to that on e-bay, and it has been used on about 10 small tile jobs. No problems. Porcelin and ceramic. Never tried granite. I figured for the money, if it lasts 10 jobs, it has already paid for itself. I also use it to cut landscape pavers when needed.