PDA

View Full Version : X-30 wakesurfing

kgrove
06-12-2008, 02:03 AM
Best set up for an X-30 for wakesurfing? Possible to get a good wave with just the stock ballast or necessary to get a sac or two? Any particular tricks and speeds for the cleanest wave?

boatdad
06-12-2008, 08:50 AM
We have a X15 and with the stock ballast tanks filled the wave is very good at 14-15 MPH. Try it without before you add a sac. I also get all the passengers in the boat sitting on one side, the same side that you surf on.

prostar205
06-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Best set up for an X-30 for wakesurfing? Possible to get a good wave with just the stock ballast or necessary to get a sac or two? Any particular tricks and speeds for the cleanest wave?

What year X-30?

kgrove
06-14-2008, 11:46 AM
It's a 2006 X-30. I did find a couple of old, smallish fat sacs in my garage but I haven't experimented with those yet. If I can get away with just stock ballast that would be easier, but I'll do what it takes.

Doug G
06-14-2008, 10:29 PM
We can get a surfable wake with stock ballast and all the human ballast in the same corner. Not as big as others but gets a curl you can stay in at about 9.4 - 9.8mph . Was looking at a sack today thinking it would make it even better but decided for the PIA factor it is good enough.

kgrove
06-23-2008, 01:20 AM
I was playing around with it today and couldn't quite get it right. I had the factory ballast filled with about 350 lbs of human ballast. We played with speeds anywhere between 8-9 and as high as maybe 12-13. I never felt it was right - never got a really clean or steep face to generate much board speed. It was very difficult to stay in the sweet spot - had to keep the rope in my hand for the occasional (ok, frequent) aid and the wake always had a kind of white water look to it - no lip or curl. Any advice anyone has on how they've set up their x-30 will help save me a bunch of time and fuel trying different things.

sand2snow22
06-23-2008, 01:23 AM
More weight! On the side you're surfing, you want to get the rub rail as close to the water as possible!

vegashomeexpert
06-23-2008, 11:42 AM
I was playing around with it today and couldn't quite get it right. I had the factory ballast filled with about 350 lbs of human ballast. We played with speeds anywhere between 8-9 and as high as maybe 12-13. I never felt it was right - never got a really clean or steep face to generate much board speed. It was very difficult to stay in the sweet spot - had to keep the rope in my hand for the occasional (ok, frequent) aid and the wake always had a kind of white water look to it - no lip or curl. Any advice anyone has on how they've set up their x-30 will help save me a bunch of time and fuel trying different things.

We have an '03 X30. With factory ballast (all 3 tanks full), all of the humans on the surf side, going 10.5-11mph we have a great wake. We turn a little to the side the rider is on. Even my widebody friends go ropeless.

Harry Reynolds
06-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Sand2 has it right...MORE WEIGHT!! We surf with my 06 X-2 with about 2500lbs of Water ballast and 2-3 people and the wake is great. The ratio you want is 3:2:1 starting in the back. So 900lbs / 600lbs / 300lbs. All on one side. You want to put some weight op front, as that is where you get a long wave from. A little bit of LH steering and you should be on you way.

HR

kgrove
06-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Is it possible to "over-list" the boat (put too much of the ballast on one side)? We're not talking about weights that could ever be considered a safety hazard, so really I'm talking about over doing it to the point the wake isn't as surfable.

I'm a goofy foot, but as boat owner, it's my prerogative which side the ballast ends up on even if I'm the only one that benefits. If the free loaders on board with me don't like it, they can buy their own damn boat (unless whatever boat they buy throws a better wake than mine, in which case they need to be considerate of the other riders who may happen to be goofy foot).

Harry Reynolds
06-24-2008, 12:19 PM
KGrove I'm with you. A couple people I've taken out have asked the same thing. My response is "This boat can't do that, sorry. You'll have to learn to do it MY way..."

I've been slowly adding more and more weight and it just seems to get better and better. One of the guys I work with has an X-45 and has about 5K in weight. Surfing in back of that is sick! It's a shame the price of admission is so damn high!

maha skier
07-07-2008, 09:56 PM
I set up the ballast on the left or right, and the center ballast and we cruise between 10 and 13 mph. you can also have someone sit on the sun deck, on the side that the surfer is on of course, that helps a little but really not necessary. we do 360's, firehydrants, reverse 360's and back up the wake, should be plenty unless you want to get about 4-5 ft wake.

Carbon Dreams
07-07-2008, 10:15 PM
I add a 440 sac on the back seat along with a 725 sac on the port seat. Then I add a 350 sac to the port locker and fill both rear stock ballast tanks. That is enough for the X-45 to be pretty good with only my wife and 2 small kids. If you did that with an X-30, it should be sick! The key is to sink the back corner as far as you can. If the rubrail is not wet, you don't have enough weight. I'm contemplating replacing the 440 with another 725.

Cheers.

dpolen
07-08-2008, 06:50 AM
I've got two 440 lb fat sacs that I put in the lockers of my 230. Do you guys think it would be safe to stack them on top of each other in the locker to go for a bigger wake on the port side?