PDA

View Full Version : Stay away from Bananna Boat Sunblock for Kids

jimmer2880
06-10-2008, 06:40 PM
My wife & I started using Bananna Boat Kids SPF50 sunblock (waterproof) spray on our 5 & 2.5 year old girls this season. In all of our previous years, they have NEVER had a tan, much less a burn throughout the entire season. This year (only 3 weeks into the season), our girls got burned, not once, but twice. This stuff is junk, I don't care how often you re-apply.

We are going back to the Aveno for the kids that we used in previous years, but switched because the BB got better ratings.

Edit: I am also moving away from the Bullfrog spray-on sunblock. I have tried a couple and have gotten more tan already this year than in all of last season. The spray-on stuff just doesn't seem to be anywhere near as durable as the rub-on.

brucemac
06-10-2008, 06:45 PM
huh, i'll have to check and see what we got. i swear we picked up a big pack of this at costco last week. the spray on kind. i'll have to check.

that's a bummer. i know first hand it's hard to find a good one. the spray is nice and easy, but i find it doesn't work as well. the bummer with the rub on is that we've hard a hard time finding one that doesn't sting our kids face.

we go through this every year. "now which one worked the best without stinging?"

i'll have to check the aveno stuff out..

jimmer2880
06-10-2008, 06:58 PM
huh, i'll have to check and see what we got. i swear we picked up a big pack of this at costco last week. the spray on kind. i'll have to check.

that's a bummer. i know first hand it's hard to find a good one. the spray is nice and easy, but i find it doesn't work as well. the bummer with the rub on is that we've hard a hard time finding one that doesn't sting our kids face.

we go through this every year. "now which one worked the best without stinging?"

i'll have to check the aveno stuff out..

That's funny.. that's one of the reasons we went away from the Aveno, was that it stung, slightly on cuts, etc.

For the face, we use a rub-on face stick (looks like a big stick of chap-stick). We haven't had any problems with that. The Bullfrog brand will sting if it gets rubbed into their eyes. We use BF for us, and some pink, generic kids brand for the girls.

mrsjimmer2880
06-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Hi!

jimmer asked me to relay that we are going to try Blue Lizard suncream. It rated 1 (good) out of 10 (bad) for sun hazard and health hazard. It was recommended to me by a trustworthy friend. We're done with sprays for now!

brucemac
06-10-2008, 07:55 PM
we slightly concerned. we have a 5 week old (5 weeks today actually) and they say you can not use sunscreen on them until 6 months. we have a roadtrip vacation planned for the week of the 4th of july and are a little concerned. obvisouly, we won't be able to be out on the water all day, at least not mom and the little guy. i ordered a custom bimini which is a little bigger than the factory MC one for my model year as well as a clip on sunblock shade for his car seat. we're going to give it a go and be very careful. he also has a pediatric visit next week and we're going to ask if there's ANY product we can use, possibly prescription, etc. i'm betting there is not though. thanks for the heads-up. good info for our other little ones. :)

flipper
06-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Hmmm, good info thanks jimmers. As we just had our first baby, I've been looking around at the different ones trying to figure which is good, and which is bad. Perfect timing.

snork
06-10-2008, 08:00 PM
I recommend Blue Lizard. You will never burn. works great. Can't say its easy to find, try a small Rx store.

flipper
06-10-2008, 08:02 PM
we slightly concerned. we have a 5 week old (5 weeks today actually) and they say you can not use sunscreen on them until 6 months. we have a roadtrip vacation planned for the week of the 4th of july and are a little concerned. obvisouly, we won't be able to be out on the water all day, at least not mom and the little guy. i ordered a custom bimini which is a little bigger than the factory MC one for my model year as well as a clip on sunblock shade for his car seat. we're going to give it a go and be very careful. he also has a pediatric visit next week and we're going to ask if there's ANY product we can use, possibly prescription, etc. i'm betting there is not though. thanks for the heads-up. good info for our other little ones. :)

I was told to try a tiny amount of baby sunscreen on him, and see if there is a reaction at all. If not, should be okay.

TX.X-30 fan
06-10-2008, 08:08 PM
The spray on stuff sucks, and covers everything in the boat. No add is good stuff and cheap. I don't put up with the winning about it stinging, so does alcohol when you gash your leg but really what's important anyway.

That's funny to hear that no one tans, That's not an option where I live, well I guess I could coat them in completely in zinc oxide? :D

Edit: We used Banna Boat all weekend 3 days 20+ hours in the sun and everyone is good? Lotion variety.

Ric
06-10-2008, 08:10 PM
The spray on stuff sucks, and covers everything in the boat. No add is good stuff and cheap. I don't put up with the winning about it stinging, so does alcohol when you gash your leg but really what's important anyway.

That's funny to hear that no one tans, That's not an option where I live, well I guess I could coat them in completely in zinc oxide? :D wifey got some of that spray crap free at a fun run this spring and we experienced the same unusual burns jimmer. we thought it was just us not reapllying often enough. that spray crap sure is easy to do out in the driveway but does not work for squat.

Monte
06-10-2008, 08:12 PM
My wife & I started using Bananna Boat Kids SPF50 sunblock (waterproof) spray on our 5 & 2.5 year old girls this season. In all of our previous years, they have NEVER had a tan, much less a burn throughout the entire season. This year (only 3 weeks into the season), our girls got burned, not once, but twice. This stuff is junk, I don't care how often you re-apply.

We are going back to the Aveno for the kids that we used in previous years, but switched because the BB got better ratings.

Edit: I am also moving away from the Bullfrog spray-on sunblock. I have tried a couple and have gotten more tan already this year than in all of last season. The spray-on stuff just doesn't seem to be anywhere near as durable as the rub-on.

It is global warming...;)

Nah, I hate your kids had to endure the burn. We use coppertone kids.. Has worked pretty well so far.

Willski
06-10-2008, 08:30 PM
We also use coppertone kids. The key for us is to lube them up at home about 15 minutes before we even leave for the lake. Once it soaks in it lasts longer.

I use No-Ad. Seems to work fine. I also use coppertone sport sometimes, or generic equivalent. Less greasy.

jimmer2880
06-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Update... the face sticks we use is coppertone for kids.

There seems to be a pattern. Most sprays stink (the aveno worked good, but stings a little and has some not so healthy ingredients), lotions good.

I just can't believe the difference. We typically put a hundred or so hours on the boat in a season, with at least that much just floating. The girls were never any darker than "snow white" until this year.

Knox's_Better_half
06-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Well.... I have 4 kids. The girls are pretty fair like their Daddy and my older son is olive complection like me. The baby is 7 months old. We took them all to the lake this weekend. I spay them with the coppertone sport 30 or higher depending on how early it is in the season. I use the coppertone stick 30 for their faces....no more whinning about the spray in their face.......that drove me nuts!! The baby gets the coppertone kids 50+. I hate it, but he was out all day and did not get an ounce of tan or burn. It is the spray lotion style. Baby did not care for it, but again it was his first time. He was in the water alot and on the boat.....under the bimini and crawling all around getting into things.
I was told to use the bullfrog by the pediatrician.........I chose not to. I have never used that stuff with any of my kids. They seem to do well with the spray for their bodies and the stick stuff for the face. They dont burn and we all have a wonderful happy summer.

dapicatti
06-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Be careful with the spray on stuff....I have seen it pit interiors (dash area) on other boats- ie Malibu's; Cobalts; haven't heard anyone here complain but it would suck to look at all those little spray marks forever......We only spray the kids on the beach or on the driveway.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-11-2008, 08:38 AM
any of you guys ever hear of shade?

Knox's_Better_half
06-11-2008, 08:51 AM
any of you guys ever hear of shade?

Yep UMP.....got the bimini!!!! If the chillins start their whining, I make em sit in the shade.........just kidding!!

Seriously, I have never had a problem with the sprays and we have used them for years. Of course you need to be careful in the boat, but as long as you are spraying the kids and not the interior, you should be OK. My kids get tan.....nothing wrong with a little tan. Not burnt....just tan

bcampbe7
06-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Never tried a spray on sunscreen for the kids. Thanks for the heads-up Jim. I won't waste my money on them in the future.

We use Coppertone Water Babies lotion. Works very well for our use.

RexDog1
06-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the info Jimmer :D we also use Coppertone for kids
It works well, my kids are in the sun all day….. we don’t know have shade in California UMP...:rolleyes:
Reapply 2 to 3 times a day depending on how much they are in the water, even though it is water proof it will wash off over time

east tx skier
06-11-2008, 10:33 AM
We use Aveno for the face, No-Ad for babies everywhere else. Rash guard (50 spf) from the neck to the waist. Thanks for the info, Jimmer!

Thrall
06-11-2008, 10:48 AM

We didn't use sunblock on the little one when we first had him out at 6 weeks old. He didn't move around, just kept him in the carseat under the bimini and threw a real light blanket of the "roll bar" on the baby bucket if the sun was shining in. Never got a sunburn.
We had him out for an entire week, every day, all day. He liked the movement and was calm or sleeping most of the time.

thijs
06-11-2008, 11:53 AM
I dont think I started using sunscreen until I started shaving my head. I have rarely burned, I guess I am lucky? When I use it now I use HAwian TRopic SPF 4, no more than a 15. No kids to report on, probably be more careful once I do.

(Maybe it's because I am from the GReat White North)

TMCNo1
06-11-2008, 12:28 PM
I dont think I started using sunscreen until I started shaving my head. I have rarely burned, I guess I am lucky? When I use it now I use HAwian TRopic SPF 4, no more than a 15. No kids to report on, probably be more careful once I do.

(Maybe it's because I am from the GReat White North)

Take my word for it, you can consider yourself lucky, .......................till a Dermatologist tells you you have skin cancer spots that have to be removed by scraping and or surgically removed. After that, you'll wished you had used a sunscreen with a higher SPF, everytime the Derm shoots you up with numbing and takes a scalpel to your body along with stitches, leaving scars everywhere.

thijs
06-11-2008, 12:46 PM
I was always under the imperssion that if you were not burning you are at a significantly lower risk to skin melanoma.

brucemac
06-11-2008, 12:57 PM
I was always under the imperssion that if you were not burning you are at a significantly lower risk to skin melanoma.

i'm no doctor, but that there is a misconception

ski_king
06-11-2008, 01:52 PM
long story short.....
KEEP COVERED WHEN IN THE SUN!!!

Ric
06-11-2008, 02:54 PM
are you using the suirt lotion or literally the spray which is a clear sunscreen in a propellant can? To my knowledge the spray stuff has not been out on the market all that long...

Well.... I have 4 kids. The girls are pretty fair like their Daddy and my older son is olive complection like me. The baby is 7 months old. We took them all to the lake this weekend. I spay them with the coppertone sport 30 or higher depending on how early it is in the season. I use the coppertone stick 30 for their faces....no more whinning about the spray in their face.......that drove me nuts!! The baby gets the coppertone kids 50+. I hate it, but he was out all day and did not get an ounce of tan or burn. It is the spray lotion style. Baby did not care for it, but again it was his first time. He was in the water alot and on the boat.....under the bimini and crawling all around getting into things.
I was told to use the bullfrog by the pediatrician.........I chose not to. I have never used that stuff with any of my kids. They seem to do well with the spray for their bodies and the stick stuff for the face. They dont burn and we all have a wonderful happy summer.

X2M
06-11-2008, 03:15 PM
We use Aveno for the face, No-Ad for babies everywhere else. Rash guard (50 spf) from the neck to the waist. Thanks for the info, Jimmer!

I second the rash guards. My kids have warn them under their life jackets since they were very little (10 and 13 now). They keep out something like 95% of all UV rays.

Having 2 extremely fair skinned redheads in the family we go through alot of sunscreen. We use the Banana Boat for Kids SPF 50 in the tube. Our dermatologist recomended it because it blocks out both UVA and UVB rays. That stuff is like wax on your skin. A real pain to get off after a day of boating. But it works. We have never come back from a day at the lake sunburned after using it.

Scott
06-11-2008, 04:32 PM
We us "mustella". It"s pretty pricey but it's well worth our four year olds skin.:D

x-10ron
06-11-2008, 06:56 PM
bullfrog sunblock http://www.bullfrogsunscreen.com/
I swear by it!!! I will apply in the shade first thing in the morning and that's it!!!
Stuff is great, last all day!!

brucemac
06-11-2008, 06:57 PM
I second the rash guards. My kids have warn them under their life jackets since they were very little (10 and 13 now). They keep out something like 95% of all UV rays.

Having 2 extremely fair skinned redheads in the family we go through alot of sunscreen. We use the Banana Boat for Kids SPF 50 in the tube. Our dermatologist recomended it because it blocks out both UVA and UVB rays. That stuff is like wax on your skin. A real pain to get off after a day of boating. But it works. We have never come back from a day at the lake sunburned after using it.

hey, that's a GREAT idea!

i should go check those out...never thought of that

jraben8
06-12-2008, 11:50 AM
I just noticed that my 8 yr old is tan to the point that it seems noticibly different. Turns out that we have the kids spray on 50 as well.

Probably use rash guards this weekend under the jackets since we'll be out all day Friday and Saturday.

Beavers Bend here we come!!!!

jimmer2880
06-16-2008, 06:42 PM
thank you, everyone for your thoughts, etc. We also are religious rash guard users. Of course, they don't cover everything (we only have 1 long-sleeve rash guard).

We used the Blue-Lizard all 3 days of the weekend. That seemed to be much closer to the bullfrog that I love, without the harmful chemicals that bullfrog contains. It worked great. Nobody got any darker than they were when we started, including many areas that were covered last weekend since the water was MUCH warmer :)