PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Newb

GuitsBoy
06-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Hey all -

Just getting into a 1992 PS 205 and I had some questions. The motor in question is the 285 HP ford 351.

This is going to be my first time digging into a non-EFI motor, and while I know my way around the newer stuff pretty well, Im embarrassed to say I dont know jack about the old ways. Im used to a world where you add fuel or change your timing curves by editing cells in a graph on your laptop.

Are all the old ford motors points distributors? or did they cut over to electronic ignition at a certain point? How can I tell, or do I need to pull the cap off and dig in to find out. I read the howto on swapping over to electronic ignition, but I would assume you still need to adjust timing after that, no? Just wondering what Ive got in store for myself.

Thanks!

cbryan70
06-10-2008, 04:44 PM
to take the cap off should be easy enough....then you will know right away if there are points in there.

GuitsBoy
06-10-2008, 04:49 PM
to take the cap off should be easy enough....then you will know right away if there are points in there.

Thanks, will do. Still waiting another week or two to take delivery of the boat though. Trying to plan ahead as much as possible.

cbryan70
06-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Ask who you are buying it from. if you want electronic then you can have the thing ordered and ready to install when you pick it up;

GuitsBoy
06-10-2008, 04:55 PM
The guy didnt know, hes not the original owner, and the MC stealership does all his maintenance since he's not a gearhead. I didnt think to poke around when I was up there looking at the boat. I guess I can deal with the old ignition for the first week or two. Thanks again.

rob935
06-11-2008, 04:27 AM
hi Guitsboy, the chances are that your boat already has electronic ignition as most engines around 91/92 came with e.i. as standard, if it doesnt its not a big task as the attached link will take you through step by step. any parts you need are easily available from www.skidim.com best of luck.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3533&highlight=electronic+ignition

GuitsBoy
06-11-2008, 06:21 AM
Thanks rob935, that was the link that I read. And yes, I was looking at the 87+ breakerless electronic ignition conversion kit at DIM. However for all my searching, I cold not find a cutover date if at all there was one. If they did indeed switch over to factory EI in 91 or 92 that would be great news. One more other upgrade I can do sooner rather than later. Thanks for the info.

Bruce Carr
06-11-2008, 08:04 AM
My '91 had OEM electronic ignition.