PDA

View Full Version : 2003 X-9 Ballast Pumps not always working

kylegansel
06-10-2008, 02:46 PM
We bought a used 2003 X-9 this year and sometime the pumps don't go on. The first weekend it all worked fine. The second weekend the center back pump wouldn't operate until we put it up on the boat lift. Now this past weekend we had problems with the rear pump going on. The center pump seems to be working fine but the rear either doesn't go on at all or takes 15 minutes to get going. It's starting to get annoying. There is no information in the manual on how these systems are fed / wired / or operate. Has anyone dealt with this and do you know where I can get a manual? Thanks!!!
-k

ShamrockIV
06-10-2008, 02:58 PM
sorry to hear about ur trouble!! stick with it!!!!!!! i love my 209!!!

wakeX2wake
06-10-2008, 03:05 PM
it being an '03 I'd replace all impellers... i know that may sound kind of rudimentary but it won't hurt anything and it'll give you an idea of your chances of a line being clogged...

are you filling them while making about 5-10 mph down the water?

kylegansel
06-10-2008, 03:13 PM
wakex2wake - I just got an e-mail from Mastercraft saying we need to have the boat running at 1500 rpm to get them working. We've been filling them while at slow speeds. Where can I buy the impellers? Also where are the pumps located and how do I replace the impellers? Mastercraft said that there aren't any manuals on these things which stinks. I need some info on how the whole system operates so I can know how to fix stuff when it goes wrong. Any info you can give me is awesome!! Thanks!!!
-k

wakeX2wake
06-10-2008, 04:18 PM
i have a newer ballast system than what you're rocking so i can't give you pump model numbers...

skidim or your dealer can get you hooked up w/ impellers...

and as for the locations... can't help much either they've moved them... best way... turn them on one at a time in the drive way and sniff them out... that's what i did for mine... i wouldn't let them run too long unless you plan on replacing the impellers for sure... but the pumps are most likely under a seat or in the engine compartment near the tanks... shouldn't be hard to find at all... open everything up and turn them on and you can probably go right to it...

more knowledgeable people about your boat on here can probably tell you exactly

DanC
06-10-2008, 04:20 PM
I know this sounds obnoxious but do some searches and reading on this site, you'll find plenty of info.
The pumps are mounted on the transom. Pull the panels out of the rear storage area to access them.
Definitely replace the impellers.
Definitely run the pumps with the engine RPM above 1500, you can even hear the difference in the ballast pump speed at the higher engine rpm.
If the pump doesn't run, sometimes toggling them from fill to empty to fill can break them loose.
The real fix is to replace the pump wiring with larger gauge wire to handle the surge current these pumps want at startup.

sdlaura1
06-24-2008, 11:43 AM
I can tell you my pumps failed on my 2002 x-9. It turned out to be the one way valves had worn out. When the pumps were turned on, they would suck air from the output tubing. I replaced all the one way valves and the impellers and it works great.

TX.X-30 fan
06-24-2008, 12:17 PM
I can tell you my pumps failed on my 2002 x-9. It turned out to be the one way valves had worn out. When the pumps were turned on, they would suck air from the output tubing. I replaced all the one way valves and the impellers and it works great.

To find the valve I would just head upstream fom the pump??

sdlaura1
06-24-2008, 02:46 PM
yes, there are several valves spliced into the tubing so water can only flow one way. They also allow for back pressure to suck water toward the pump. If the valve leaks air, then the system won't pull water from the lake.

ShamrockIV
06-24-2008, 03:09 PM
anyone with a 209 or x9 see any problem with a hard ballast tank under the rear seat instead of bag??

aaronmay21
06-25-2008, 04:53 AM
We bought a used 2003 X-9 this year and sometime the pumps don't go on. The first weekend it all worked fine. The second weekend the center back pump wouldn't operate until we put it up on the boat lift. Now this past weekend we had problems with the rear pump going on. The center pump seems to be working fine but the rear either doesn't go on at all or takes 15 minutes to get going. It's starting to get annoying. There is no information in the manual on how these systems are fed / wired / or operate. Has anyone dealt with this and do you know where I can get a manual? Thanks!!!
-k
I had dramas similar with my 07 x2 i was finding the starboard pump was taking twice as long as the others. It ended up being the bearings in the pump so i replaced them and is good now.I then turned the pump around when mounting so the the motor was above the impeller, so even if ther was still a leak it would into the hull and not on the motor.