PDA

View Full Version : Slalom lace bindings

NSXBill
04-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Are all serious slalom bindings rear lace as opposed to front lace (like wakeboard). Front lace in slalom seems to be just for fully adjustable recreational (one size fits many skiers)

Andrť
04-14-2005, 09:25 AM
I think most of high end slalom boots are back lace.
I notice you mentionned the KD comp boot,i have tried it and it's not very comfortable.
If you go with KD boot,i suggest the Vice,i have found it to be very easy to get in and comfortable.

NSXBill
04-14-2005, 09:39 AM
I think most of high end slalom boots are back lace.
I notice you mentionned the KD comp boot,i have tried it and it's not very comfortable.
If you go with KD boot,i suggest the Vice,i have found it to be very easy to get in and comfortable.
Really? I thought the comp was like the vise, but SOFTER. So you suggest the Vise with KD7000?

Andrť
04-14-2005, 09:50 AM
I bought the ski with 2 Vise boots but couldn't adjust to the transition between RTP and full boot,so went back with RTP.My Pro shop guy told me to try the Comp as it is softer and may help me adapt to the rear boot but no way.
I did notice that the Comp is more like the old style rubber bindings.
If you go KD boot,go with the Vise...in my opinion.

Jorski
04-14-2005, 09:57 AM
The HO Approach boots and last years Phantoms are front lace up. Also, I believe that there are front laces on the new Sixam boots...As well, the various hardshell systems are front closure.

MarkP
04-14-2005, 10:58 AM
I think the Vision may be front lace except the 04s

east tx skier
04-14-2005, 11:41 AM
For some time, the high end boots have been rear lace ups. The newer boots, i.e., Phantom, Approach, maybe O'Brien's Bio, have been front lace. These boots are crossover between soft boot and hard shell. They're meant to be like hiking boots. They're not adjustable past maybe 1.5 shoe sizes (by the label). But to loosely paraphrase Eddie Roberts, with enough lube, you can get a size 10 into a small. This is why HO recommends no lube in getting into the bindings. You can lube in, but you might not come out when you need to.

/still lubing in, but wears the right sized bindings and doesn't cinch the laces too tight.

NSXBill
04-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Posted on my other thread also....

Just went and looked at some skis/bindings at local MC dealer. All they had were HO's.

I saw the Animal binding, the Vision, and the HO Union? Union was front lace-up and had toe padding like a wakeboard binding. Wait, maybe it was a wakeboard binding...it was on a waterski plate though. Animal was nice...some said left or right on them as well has having front or rear plates. What's that about? None seemed to have nylon straps for the front part of the wrap...

erkoehler
04-14-2005, 04:08 PM
HO rear lace here

east tx skier
04-14-2005, 04:39 PM
I responded to the other thread, but basically, the animals have insoles and are foot specific. That other lace up you mentioned may be HO's adjustable boot. The O'Brien's weight is due to all carbon construction. Some heavier skis, like the CDX, employ an aluminum top sheet. The O'Brien was the easiest ski I've ever owned as far as deep water starts. Once up, I prefer the ride and forgiveness of the HO. The Mapple was just too much ski for me.

dhcomp
04-28-2005, 02:01 AM
For a while all the higher end boots were rear lace, but times are changing.

Like the bindings on teh new connelley F1 are front lace, and very high performance.

MarkP
04-28-2005, 07:26 AM
Good point, Three of my favorite high performance bindings.. All front lace..

MarkP
04-28-2005, 07:27 AM
And the Phantom

MarkP
04-28-2005, 07:29 AM
The Vision pivot sure are priced like a High performance binding

jimmer2880
04-28-2005, 09:19 AM
I think the Vision may be front lace except the 04s

I have a pair of blue visions purchasec Summer of '03. Rear Lace with the buckle across the toe. Very good fit, but the rubber started cracking last year. I hope to get through this season before they completely break apart. not real happy with their durability.

MarkP
04-28-2005, 10:05 AM
I think the Approach is my favorite, but Iím sure I will end up with the Phantom or Animal bindings. I havenít tried any of the newer bindings. I thank most will be a step from the Connelly custom Flo Footbed High wraps that Iím in right now

erkoehler
04-28-2005, 10:12 AM
Like I have said in the past, whatever gets you on the water and behind the boat!

MarkP
04-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Like I have said in the past, whatever gets you on the water and behind the boat!:uglyhamme Do you even know what we are talking about?/:uglyhamme
I think Everybody is already ďbehind the boatĒ;)

BriEOD
04-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Play nice Mark!! :purplaugh

MarkP
04-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Hey, I added the little wink guy at the end:smile:

east tx skier
04-28-2005, 01:24 PM
I thought I'd responded to this, but it must not have taken.

Like you, Mark, I keep eyeing the phantom/approach boots. In the end, I'll probably stick with the Animals a little longer. They are very comfortable and get the job done. Which flex did you get on the Sixam?

Ric
04-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Posted on my other thread also....

Just went and looked at some skis/bindings at local MC dealer. All they had were HO's.

I saw the Animal binding, the Vision, and the HO Union? Union was front lace-up and had toe padding like a wakeboard binding. Wait, maybe it was a wakeboard binding...it was on a waterski plate though. Animal was nice...some said left or right on them as well has having front or rear plates. What's that about? None seemed to have nylon straps for the front part of the wrap...
bill, looking at your avatar reminds me of that email floating around of the dining table for sale. If you've not all seen it, I'll find it and forward it to the list. Bottom line, just glad you were clothed for the pic!

MarkP
05-02-2005, 12:38 PM
I thought I'd responded to this, but it must not have taken.

Like you, Mark, I keep eyeing the phantom/approach boots. In the end, I'll probably stick with the Animals a little longer. They are very comfortable and get the job done. Which flex did you get on the Sixam?
You did Doug. It was on a similar thread. I will be trying out the 1.0 and have been standing out in front of my house waiting on the ups guy even though the delivery isnít scheduled until tomorrow.:o

ski_king
05-02-2005, 12:40 PM
You did Doug. It was on a similar thread. I will be trying out the 1.0 and have been standing out in front of my house waiting on the ups guy even though the delivery isnít scheduled until tomorrow.:o

And when are you going to try it out?

MarkP
05-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Spring.. If it ever comes.

Iím shooting for next weekend. Donít know if it will work out.

BriEOD
05-02-2005, 02:45 PM
Mark--Load up the F-150 and come down here. I'll pull you this weekend.

bcampbe7
05-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Mark--Load up the F-150 and come down here. I'll pull you this weekend.

And after that you can head over here to middle Tennessee and I will let you try out last years Phantoms. Mine are Phantoms but look like the Approach bindings.

BriEOD
05-02-2005, 03:47 PM
I stumbled onto this site: http://www.h2osmosis.com/classifieds.html

MarkP
05-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Man you southern boys are killing me. Iím hoping the air temps get to the 60s so the water stays at 53 for this weekend. And you guys are probably already skiing.

I cant wait to give the new, to me, equipment a run or two. Never had the lace up and if the bindings are too small I may mot have to pull on that lace at all.

The ebay shot of my new lacers

BriEOD
05-02-2005, 03:54 PM
They still haven't come??? :confused:

east tx skier
05-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Mark, what year are those Animals? Any one know was it '02 or 03 when they first started putting superfeet in them?

MarkP
05-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Brian, The ski should come tomorrow. Bindings should ship today.

I stumbled onto this site: http://www.h2osmosis.com/classifieds.html

I emailed that guy last week about the Phantoms he has for 275. He told me no problem 285. Plus shipping.. When I questioned him about the price difference and told him everyone has those bindings on closeout cheaper than 275. He told me others must not be playing by the rules and are not allowed to advertise cheaper but he did not address his 10.00 increase in price.

I love classifieds but it looks like a lot of the adds are from the guy that runs that site. He still has an add for the Phantoms for 275. But still no explanation why they would cost me 285.

Lot of good stuff on that site though

Doug, I am told they are 04s