PDA

View Full Version : Loose Tower

Harry Reynolds
06-10-2008, 01:02 PM
I have an 06 X-2 and the tower seems to move around a lot at speed, especially in the forward leg area.
So, I have a couple of questions.
1. On the forward legs by the mounting boss, there are collars with sets screws. They look like they should do something, but I have loosened the sets screws and they spin but don't get any tighter or looser. Am I missing something?
2. What are on the hull side of the tower mounting bolts? Nuts or some type of threaded backing plate?

I appeciate any help on this.

Thanks -- Harry

ShamrockIV
06-10-2008, 02:01 PM
the newer boats have braces to stop this but i am not sure what year they are retro fitting. someone will be along that knows!!

wakeX2wake
06-10-2008, 02:29 PM
i'd start by making sure everything that is visible is tight... the tower can and will worl loose at every joint w/ a screw or bolt in it.. i'd then crawl under where the mounts are and check that...

i'm betting there's going to be a nut w/ a lock washer on the bottom side... there is a steel (or similar metal) plate fiberglassed into your hull for tower support... i seriously doubt theres a thread plat there too... i think it might be a little over kill (i could be wrong)

but i'd start w/ tightening ever bolt/nut on that tower and see... every tower ever made will come loose if in enough rough water

jaysus
06-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Call your local dealer. They should have a tower tightening tool that will lock down that front leg using the 4 holes you see in the base of the tower.

Harry Reynolds
06-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Yeah, the front legs seem to be where most of the movement is coming from. I tighten everything every other time I go out. I've loctited the parts that don't need to come apart ( I have to put the tower down to store the boat). So those collars actually do something?
Thanks!