PDA

View Full Version : Using Vegetable Oil in Diesel

stuartmcnair
06-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this? My best friend and I are thinking about buying a couple of F-250's with the 7.3 liter diesel and running peanut oil from his restaurants in them. He currently pays to have it hauled off and he uses enough where we could both drive without having to buy too much fuel.

I have been researching this and it seems like a good idea to both of us but I wanted some more opinions on it.

The 7.3 liter is the most recommended for trucks and I was told to stay away from the 6.0 Powerstroke.

MMCCAR12
06-10-2008, 12:15 PM
My friend is doing it in Santa Monica Calif., he has 2 Mercedes and just filters it 2 times with 5 and 2 Micron filters and go. He says it runs great. Now he spends all his time going from one restaurant to another and is obsessed.

gigem75
06-10-2008, 12:23 PM
It works. Diesels were originally designed to run on peanut/vegatable oil. I've been running bio in my 240D for 3 years now, no problems, except for the price of methanol going up and now it costs about 90 cents a gallon to make.

Ric
06-10-2008, 12:27 PM
I say do it DO IT

flipper
06-10-2008, 12:36 PM
I've herd a couple stories of people blowing engines up, but I think it was their own fault.

Hammer
06-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Check over at this site, http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/ there are some knowledgeable folks there. I don't do it, but should.

Farmer Ted
06-10-2008, 11:00 PM
what does it cost to produce a gallon of peanut oil?

seems like a no brainer

Hammer
06-10-2008, 11:02 PM
what does it cost to produce a gallon of peanut oil?

seems like a no brainer

PEANUTS!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Farmer Ted
06-10-2008, 11:09 PM
PEANUTS!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I guess we can expect Big Oil to start buying all the peanut farms and putting that land into CRP?

uawaterskier
06-10-2008, 11:44 PM
I've also heard of running them on used filtered automatic tranny fluid. One guy was running his in a 1:1 ratio of diesel to ATF with no harm done

djhuff
06-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Diesels will burn just about any hydrocarbon. Peanut Oil, Veggie Oil, Grease. The biggest drawback is that if you live in a colder climate, you need to keep that stuff warm so it will flow through the fuel system.

My BIL runs B80 in his little Nissan Turbo, and you can tell when they change oils to make it with. Sometimes it smells like popcorn, then a few weeks later, it will smell like pork BBQ. Makes me hungry every time he starts his truck.

6ballsisall
06-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this? My best friend and I are thinking about buying a couple of F-250's with the 7.3 liter diesel and running peanut oil from his restaurants in them. He currently pays to have it hauled off and he uses enough where we could both drive without having to buy too much fuel.

I have been researching this and it seems like a good idea to both of us but I wanted some more opinions on it.

The 7.3 liter is the most recommended for trucks and I was told to stay away from the 6.0 Powerstroke.

It can work, I've been fiddling around with this stuff some. I haven't played around with it in a Powerjoke yet but from those I've talked to and I've read, the 6.0 especially won't react well to running straight WVO. I've heard and read mixed statements on the the 7.3 running WVO (straight) The old Ford 6.9's run straight WVO very well. (because it's an Indirect injection Diesel)
IMHO, I think you'd be best served taking the used WVO and make B100 using Lye and Methanol. You can buy a professional mixing system for a couple G's or make your own for a couple hundred and some time. Plan on mixing a few batches that turn out bad up front (throw them out, DO NOT run them if they test bad) Be picky about the WVO you get, oil from Japanese/Chinese restaruants work best, DON"T use oil that comes from a wings restaruant.

Best of luck and let us all know how it works out for you!!

Oh, and yes, your truck exhaust will smell like the foods cooked in the oil. :)

chudson
06-11-2008, 09:06 AM
The guy that started this web site was on WGN radio this morning and said you need extra fuel tank and you use regular diesel to get going then switch to the veggie oil after the car/truck has warmed up!!!

http://www.greasecar.com/

6ballsisall
06-11-2008, 09:18 AM
The guy that started this web site was on WGN radio this morning and said you need extra fuel tank and you use regular diesel to get going then switch to the veggie oil after the car/truck has warmed up!!!

http://www.greasecar.com/

That is correct IF you run straight WVO. If you make B100 from the WVO that is not the case. Greasecar.com is a great resource of info. IMHO their WVO kits are the best, I like the automatic timer doo-hickey them make that kicks it over to the WVO tank when the engine is warmed up enough.

Another option if one doesn't want to mess with getting used oil from restaruants is to buy cooking oil in bulk (55 gallon drums) It can be had for about $1.90-2 a gallon. Thats still less money then Dino Diesel and not as messy, no testing or filtering of the oil is needed.