PDA

View Full Version : Wet Starter

PeteS
06-09-2008, 10:33 AM
I did a search and couldn't dig up any solutions, but I apologize if I didn't look hard enough.

We got caught in a nasty rain storm this weekend, and I think the starter & solinoid assembly got wet. I have plenty of voltage, but only get the solinoid "click" when I turn the key. I had the bildge on, so the water level didn't get up to the starter that I could tell, but the water was still spalshing around from the engine cover vents and blower lines.

Is there any quick and easy fix to this, or am I looking at a starter and solinoid rebuild? I tried starting it right after things got wet, so the starter didn't have time to corrode, but the water must have just shorted something out someplace. Once things dry it, is there a chance it'll crank again?

Thanks in advance,
Pete

TMCNo1
06-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Take the started and solenoid off and have it checked!

JimN
06-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Be prepared to replace it. They don't like being that wet and there's no good way to seal something like that. If it hasn't been lubed annually (the way it should be), this probably just pushed it over the edge.

PeteS
06-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the replies. JimN, replace or rebuild? I'm assuming there is a "point of no return" for damage, and a full replacement is necessary.

I'm going to do some testing tonight, and see if I can't diagnosis things more. I'll try jumping out the starter relay to see if the starter will crank, and test voltages more.

Wish me luck.

JimN
06-09-2008, 11:23 AM
If the shop does it right, there's no reason a rebuild won't last as long as the original. I generally use rebuilds because I know of a couple of good rebuilders. I don't remember ever having a bad one from them.

"I'll try jumping out the starter relay to see if the starter will crank"

Watch out for sparks if it's actually frozen.

PeteS
06-11-2008, 09:44 AM
It was in fact the starter.

Did my diagnostics Monday night, had good voltage and a fireworks show when I jumpered out the solinoid -- and the starter still didn't turn.

I found a re-built one at my Mastercraft dealer (Action Watersports), swapped out the core with them, threw it in last night, and my 88' is back to life.

Thanks for the help, Jim & TMC#1.