PDA

View Full Version : Help - Wakeboard line wrapped around shaft

mdthacker
06-09-2008, 09:06 AM
While giving me a pull on the wakeboard, my wife accidentally cut around too short and wrapped the cable around the drive shaft quite badly. We actually had to be pulled into the ramp and I worked on the issue here at the house. The cable WAS a Straight Line Viper which is a center core wrapped by a number of smaller nylon lines. Using pliers and a good knife, I was able to get most of the issue resolved. However, I do believe there are still some pieces which had worked in between the shaft and the shaft quide housing. If I run the boat with a few smaller pieces in there, will the issue be resolved, or am I getting myself into a bigger mess??

ShamrockIV
06-09-2008, 09:23 AM
i am not sure. i am sure you will get two different reccommendations on here!!!!

run it or get it all out!!! good luck

mdthacker
06-09-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm hoping the major consensus is to Run It Out! That would be a lot cheaper I am sure! One sign that I forgot to mention is that when I removed the last of the major pieces, the water that was trapped in there from the line did flow out. So my hope is that anything left is minor.

jraben8
06-09-2008, 09:28 AM
You should be able to disconnect the coupling on the shaft from the transmission and be able to slide it back a little (maybe 3-4 inches). That maybe enough to allow you to get the rest of the line out.

Other than that, I got nothin'.

wakeX2wake
06-09-2008, 09:29 AM
similar event happened to me only involving a buddy driving and me and a snake in the water...

we worked and worked on getting that line out from under the boat and finally just ended up pulling as much out as we could and thought we had it out and it was not so much the case... we couldn't feel anymore in there on the water (we were a WAYS from the ramp) so we just went on w/ the day... put it on the trailer and there was still rope hanging out between that housing and the shaft... obviously i pulled it out... next time we took it out i put it back on the trailer and it was the same thing... after that next time we took it out there hasn't been any more in there... i'm sure it's not just great for it but i honestly don't think it hurt mine in any way

ShamrockIV
06-09-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm hoping the major consensus is to Run It Out!

that would be my vote!!!

take it slow and u can feel if it starts to get into a bind!!

TMCNo1
06-09-2008, 09:32 AM
While giving me a pull on the wakeboard, my wife accidentally cut around too short and wrapped the cable around the drive shaft quite badly. We actually had to be pulled into the ramp and I worked on the issue here at the house. The cable WAS a Straight Line Viper which is a center core wrapped by a number of smaller nylon lines. Using pliers and a good knife, I was able to get most of the issue resolved. However, I do believe there are still some pieces which had worked in between the shaft and the shaft quide housing. If I run the boat with a few smaller pieces in there, will the issue be resolved, or am I getting myself into a bigger mess??

Are you refering to the strut holding the shaft in front of the prop or where the shaft enters the hull of the boat?

mdthacker
06-09-2008, 09:43 AM
This is the strut which holds the shaft just in front of the propeller.

TMCNo1
06-09-2008, 09:49 AM
This is the strut which holds the shaft just in front of the propeller.

To be on the safe side, I would do whatever I had to do to remove everything. It may wear and eat it'self away, but is it worth taking that chance?

bigmac
06-09-2008, 10:06 AM
What's the downside of just ignoring it? The possibility that there may be some line material stuck between the shaft and bushing...what harm would that do? Would that plastic from the line cause wear on the shaft? I'm inclined to doubt it.

Seems to me he'd either have to pay to release the shaft and clear the line material now, or if it prematurely wears the bushing, pay to release the shaft and replace the bushing later.

ShamrockIV
06-09-2008, 10:11 AM
drive it like u stole it!!!!!!

wakeX2wake
06-09-2008, 10:32 AM
i know its possible but i doubt some nylon is going to do a bunch of damage to a bunch of metal stuff... it'll work its way out and i'd just check it when you pull it out... don't really see how the system wouldn't "rid itsself" of any foreign material like that anyway