PDA

View Full Version : Power Amp problems

tph
06-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Everytime I use something that draws significant amperage (I.E. starter or heater fan) my Sony power amp goes into protect mode and stops working. If I disconnect it from the battery and reconnect it again it will work fine. Any ideas? Thanks!

BriEOD
06-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Alternator/Battery can't keep up with the demand for power?

sk8salomon
06-14-2008, 12:15 PM
tph, imagine this...when your boat is running it takes 10gallons of water a second output from your battery and alternator. when your amp or other devices turn on and begin to require water, the battery and alternator cannot provide enough water for the amp to run at normal conditions & run the boat. when this happens, your amp goes into "protect mode" which is a good thing. a larger CCA battery or upgraded alternator would be a good fix but also correct grounding can help too.

flipper
06-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Do you have dual batteries? If not, may want to think about adding a second battery. Should fix your problem.

JimN
06-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Where did you go for the power to the amp? If you didn't run a separate cable for hot and ground, you need to. Using an existing wire won't work and will kill the amp, prematurely, due to heat buildup.

Describe the wiring to the amp- length, gauge, source, how the terminals were attached, how it's protected and distributed.If you didn't use terminals on the power cables, you need to. Crimped, soldered and sized correctly is the best way for any terminals in a boat. If you grabbed power from anything but the battery, you need to do this right. If you grounded the amp to the motor, change that, too.