PDA

View Full Version : Changing Prop in water

kgrove
06-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Planning a trip to Lake Powell on my x-30. I want to bring a spare prop in case I damage it 30 miles up lake. If I do need to change out the prop at some point, I assume I would have to go back and get the boat back on the trailer in order to access the prop? Or is it possible to change it out with the boat in the water (assuming I don't have scuba tanks)? It seems like the prop is too far under the boat and the change-out too difficult to do by just holding your breath and ducking under repeatedly. I'd like to hear, however, if anybody has been successful at changing a prop with the boat still in the water in more or less an emergency situation. If its not possible, I may as well keep the spare in my truck instead of taking space in the boat.

BriEOD
06-06-2008, 05:54 PM
I've got a pretty good breath hold, so that wouldn't be my concern. However, dropping the nut would be a nightmare! :eek3: Also, sometimes you have to heat the prop up with a torch and tap it with a hammer to get it off. I'm not sure I would try it.

Willski
06-06-2008, 06:00 PM
It has been done. I've seen it. Can't remember if we had to use a puller or not. Big thing is not dropping the nut, and have a spare cotter pin! You can buy a can of spare air if you need to.

DanC
06-06-2008, 06:03 PM
I've done enough rope entanglements and have alot of experience underwater and I would not try it with a tapered shaft. When that prop lets go, wrenches, pullers go flying (sinking) and I'm not a lucky person.

BUT
I see by your profile you have an 06 so you have the splined shaft. I would remove the swim platform and it shouldn't be too tough.

bigmac
06-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Kgrove's boat doesn't need a puller - he has a splined shaft. Remove the nut and the prop slides off.

I'm sure it could be done, but getting the prop back on the shaft (4-blade) requires some gyrations to get it around the rudder and back on the shaft. If it's something you think is likely to happen, I'd practice the removal/reinstallation process on the shore first.

Ramhouse
06-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Not the most fun thing to do but, it can be done. I,ve done it on my 190. Just back it up to the shore about 6' deep of water, so ur standing. Been doing things under boats all my life. Just tie a small line to all ur tools, something like 1/4", and tie to the boat,so if u do drop it, it's not lost. Try it on land first so you know what it all feels like.

Gonzo
06-06-2008, 09:49 PM
if you do it deep water use a ski rope and securely tie it around the blades of the prop at the base so if/when you drop it you arent out 400.00

Hrkdrivr
06-06-2008, 11:35 PM
I would remove the swim platform and it shouldn't be too tough.

Anybody know if a teak platform will float, or would you have to tie a rope to that too? :confused:

mrprostar
06-07-2008, 07:57 AM
There was a very intteresting thread about whether is would float or not yesterday. You should read it. Sounds like from that thread that the teak will float but fiberglass will not.

SkiDog
06-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Kgrove's boat doesn't need a puller - he has a splined shaft. Remove the nut and the prop slides off.

I'm sure it could be done, but getting the prop back on the shaft (4-blade) requires some gyrations to get it around the rudder and back on the shaft. If it's something you think is likely to happen, I'd practice the removal/reinstallation process on the shore first.

Thats why we pay you the BIG bucks! Good ideas like that!;)

jimmer2880
06-09-2008, 07:27 PM
I've done it as well, but in 4' of water, using a puller. When you loosen the nut, don't remove it completely. That way, when the prop pops free, it won't go flying down to the bottom.

Ditto about having a spare brass nut and cotter pin.

EDIT: That was on a tapered shaft.

TX.X-30 fan
06-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Doesnt seem like it would be that hard. Spare nut and pin as already stated. Pull into water where you can stand. Not near as hard as ski ropes wrapped in deep water.

SteveO
06-09-2008, 07:59 PM
It seems to me that a piece of garden hose long enough to allow you to go under and keep the other end out off the water would be a good addition to your prop kit IMO

TX.X-30 fan
06-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Nah, two breaths is all it would take.

Skipper
06-10-2008, 10:28 AM
A spare prop on Lake Powell is a must! This year the water level will rise 100 ft then drop 65 feet within a few months. Submerged obstacles are a genuine threat.

Bring a diving mask. Tie off all of your tools. Use zip ties to attach small lines to your tools. Also, if you actually find yourself changing the prop position your boat deep into a small cove where it is protected from wind and waves. It is very frustrating trying to work under water with tools when the boat is rocking and bouncing.

sully
06-10-2008, 06:35 PM
I agree with Angry Bill,
Get yourself in a protected area. I tried this once pulled up to a beach but had a good wind and lots of waves. I gave up after a hour and put her on the trailer.

uawaterskier
06-10-2008, 07:03 PM
been there done that...it can be done. When your boat decides it wants to try eat the steel cable on the floatable ski course and no way to cut the cable, it can be done.

uawaterskier
06-10-2008, 07:04 PM
and also FWIW. I did tie off all of my tools as well as the prop. The biggest thing is dont fumble the prop nut and take a break if you need it. (I almost went to the bottom of the lake because I was so tired and there was no way in hell I was letting go of that prop.)

wiltok
06-10-2008, 07:35 PM
And make sure you get the prop all the way on the 'groove' (my non technical term). I didn't (and this was on land!) - and it felt like the trans was slipping. Took it apart and did it right....

WTRSK1R
06-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Anybody know if a teak platform will float, or would you have to tie a rope to that too? :confused:

Teak platform definately floats. I have had the unfortunate luck of running over a ski rope, and had to pull the platform to get the rope untangled. I had one of the other skiers keep it from floating away, but it sat right on the surface. In fact, if it did float away, someone would likely run it over because it sat almost perfectly level with the top of the water.

Steve

dhill0125
06-29-2008, 04:14 PM
trust me the teak platform floats....i've had to untangle plenty of ropes