PDA

View Full Version : bayliner

rodltg2
04-13-2005, 02:04 PM
went with a buddy to look at bayliners . he looking to buy one for fishing and cruising, so that boat is perfcet for him. he never skiis. anyway cant believe that they can sell this boat for under 10000, and still make money, sure its mass produced and made in mexico. i just dont see where there is room to make any money. i think its a good deal for that price.

mrcrowson
04-13-2005, 02:10 PM
I watched a Bayliner shake like a dog one time when some guy started it up to put it on his trailer,

Scared me to see a boat shake like that.... :eek: :eek:

jsonova99
04-13-2005, 02:16 PM
My parents have 2002 Bayliner Capri, 18.5 feet. Not a bad boat at all for the money. I think it was $15k with the 4 cylinder Mercruiser I/O. Bayliner is not the same as it was in the 80' and early 90's. They also have the same engines as any of their competitors, so seeing the boat shake like that would lead me to believe they either had the old Volvo-Penta outdrives (80's boat) or they just didn't take care of it at all. :twocents:

mrcrowson
04-13-2005, 02:20 PM
I think you are right, It was an older one...

rodltg2
04-13-2005, 02:24 PM
i would never buy one , but it seems like a decent boat for what my friend intends to do with it. it would be silly for him to buy an mc for example, to fish and drink beers a few times a year. im curious to see what it will be like on the water.

jsonova99
04-13-2005, 02:25 PM
They used to have a lot of hull problems, too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sea Ray owns them now, and I think they are more of a cheaper no frills version of some of their boats. I was actually really impressed with the one my parents got, although I would have gone with more motor, atleast the V6 Mercruiser. I originally thought about the 17 foot for $10K because I wanted a boat to use in saltwater, but I wanted an MC too much that I couldn't resist :D So our trips are limited to inland lakes which is fine considering we can only take it out about once a week at most anyway. I guess I could put it in saltwater, but it has never been in it at all, and for a 14 year old boat, doesn't have the slightest spot of corrosion anywhere, it would kill me to ruin that.

rodltg2
04-13-2005, 02:35 PM
speaking of bayliners i swear i saw the toolman's challenger roll down the road on saturday!

AirJunky
04-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Actually their owned by the same company that owns SeaRay, along with Maxum, MercCruiser, Liquid Force, O'Brien waterskis, Brunswick, Coleman & a host of other outdoor sporting goods companies.

jsonova99
04-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Actually their owned by the same company that owns SeaRay, along with Maxum, MercCruiser, Liquid Force, O'Brien waterskis, Brunswick, Coleman & a host of other outdoor sporting goods companies.

I knew it was something like that, I have a guy in my MBA class that works for Sea Ray who started to explain it to me.

ski36short
04-13-2005, 03:28 PM
There are two things in life you can't get rid of... AIDS and a Bayliner...

jsonova99
04-13-2005, 03:30 PM
There are two things in life you can't get rid of... AIDS and a Bayliner...

You've got that right, anything that costs that little new, is impossible to get rid of.

River Rat
04-13-2005, 03:40 PM
I heard it was aids and a Moomba :purplaugh

bradamerry
04-13-2005, 03:48 PM
I heard it was aids and a Moomba :purplaugh
Can Farmer's shampoo help :confused: ?

jsonova99
04-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Probably not, but a good insurance policy and a deep lake might! :purplaugh

rodltg2
04-13-2005, 03:51 PM
i dont think thats the type of boat you buy if your concerned about resale. for 10K you use it till its dead then throw it away .

Leroy
04-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Sometime this story will have to come out, or are you saving this for around the campfire at Gleeson?

Can Farmer's shampoo help :confused: ?

bradamerry
04-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Sometime this story will have to come out, or are you saving this for around the campfire at Gleeson?
Ask Farmer :confused: ! He has alot to tell, but is keeping us at bay on some info :popcorn: . But I believe that shampoo can clean the rust off a grill. :D

Leroy
04-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Guy in house across the street from our house on spring break had one sitting on a galvanized trailer. Looked pretty nice. But the guy told me on one of the first trips out it died and wouldn't start. Tide was coming in carrying him up river, dropped anchor and it wouldn't hold, adventually hit land, sandy/muddy stuff, and had to be towed in.

Cloaked
04-13-2005, 05:08 PM
i would never buy one , but it seems like a decent boat for what my friend intends to do with it. it would be silly for him to buy an mc for example, to fish and drink beers a few times a year. im curious to see what it will be like on the water.Don't be so quick to judge.
1) Purchase an 80's model for way under $10k.
2) Become familiar with it, realizing these machines have a shallow draft.
3) Remove rear seat leaving ample room for two large and comfortable lawn chairs and a cooler.
4) Fish in any direction while sipping cold beers.
5) Return to the trailer with performance and a no-hassle direct-drive machine.

I couldn't imagine an I/O for anything since being in MCs since 79.

I'm thinking a MC will serve his purpose(s) just fine, all the while the older 19 Skier models are simple, reliable, attractive (IMHO) and just downright keWl... :steering:

Sound funny for your Bud? ... Yes...
Joking? ..... No...

rodltg2
04-13-2005, 10:59 PM
maybe a bette buy if you want a ski boat , but this boat is alot more comfortable than an 80's mastercraft with lots of room. mc's are not for everyone

Larryp
04-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Most bayliners I see are sitting in driveway on saturday's. sounds like a good buy to me.

jsonova99
04-14-2005, 08:10 AM
That's where my parents Bayliner spends most of it's time! I try to get my Dad to keep it at our cottage in Maine so that we have a boat up there whenever we're there, but he won't.

USC8791
04-14-2005, 02:05 PM
mc's are not for everyone

What?! Did you forget what website you're viewing?

I guess you have a point. Cross dressers, Michael Jackson supporters, klan members, HS English teachers in Florida, Anna Nicole Smith, Hillary Clinton and Clemson fans all need water transportation too.

PS - I apologize to the above people for lumping them together with Clemson fans.

bradamerry
04-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Clemson fans :confused: , where?

rodltg2
04-14-2005, 02:51 PM
it wouldnt be fun if everyone had one! then we wouldnt be so special.

jsonova99
04-14-2005, 02:53 PM
it wouldnt be fun if everyone had one! then we wouldnt be so special.

everybody tells me that I'm special no matter what, hey that might not be a complement. :confused:

tex
04-14-2005, 02:56 PM
everybody tells me that I'm special no matter what, hey that might not be a complement. :confused:
Special?
Sitting in the back with the cool kids might not be so cool on a short bus!

erkoehler
04-14-2005, 03:00 PM
:uglyhamme :toast: :uglyhamme

NeilM
04-14-2005, 11:06 PM
went with a buddy to look at bayliners . he looking to buy one for fishing and cruising, so that boat is perfcet for him. he never skiis. anyway cant believe that they can sell this boat for under 10000, and still make money, sure its mass produced and made in mexico. i just dont see where there is room to make any money. i think its a good deal for that price.

You hit it right on the head... for the price... I call recent year Bayliners "McBoats" -- (billions and billions served). Seriously, they are actually of very consistent quality and represent good value for the market they are after. They have very little draft and are underpowered. There are oodles of them, one or two years old, around for sale because once people get hooked on boating they want more. I would have your buddy look around for a used one, because he can save $2500 - $3500 and pick one up with less than 100 hrs on it

erkoehler
04-14-2005, 11:09 PM
Plus, you don't get the immediate depreciation when buying used!