PDA

View Full Version : Newbie 101 needs help 89 tristar will not start

master351craft
06-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Silly question: I do not pretend to know about boat engines. I always take my boat in to be serviced. The question is, how do you test a mastercraft engine out of water. My boat will not start. my neighbor is a car guy, he says he can get it started. I do not know how to start it out of water. It does not tell you this in the manual. I do not want a car guy to burn up my engine. My boat guy is back logged and I want to get out on the boat. What to do?:confused:

bbymgr
06-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Go to your Marina and get a Fake-a-Lake.

shepherd
06-05-2008, 10:45 PM
You need one of these. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DP6 Easy to install. If you don't want to do it, have your mechanic buddy do it for you. Just hook the garden hose up to it and turn on the water before you run the engine.

sk8salomon
06-05-2008, 10:49 PM
all i ever did was remove the hose going to the pickup filter, right above where water enters from the lake to your engine compartment. stick a normal garden hose in it, turn on about 1/2 way to start, then almost full blast when the engine is running. never had any problems with impellers other than changing out every 2~3 yrs. make sure and tie the garden hose down to something near the engine like grab rail to keep from shooting out the water pickup.

master351craft
06-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Thank you guys. All good answers.

mayo93prostar
06-06-2008, 08:29 AM
another option is to remove the intake water hose from the through-hull fitting on the bottom of the boat and stick the hose in a 5 gallon bucket that you fill with the garden hose. sometimes it is very difficult to get the hose off because of the threads on the fitting and corrosion. I have the flush pro and it makes it easy to run in driveway. you probably need the 1.25 inch one though, not the 1.00 inch. measure your hose...the one in the boat! good luck getting it running.

gigem75
06-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I'd also spray some water on the cutlass bearing (where the prop shaft goes trought the strut) to keep from heating it up if you are going to run it more than a few seconds.

sdesmond
06-06-2008, 09:43 AM
I'd also spray some water on the cutlass bearing (where the prop shaft goes trought the strut) to keep from heating it up if you are going to run it more than a few seconds.

I always thought you should never put the boat in gear out of the water. That would be the only reason for this needing to have water around it.

JimN
06-06-2008, 11:06 AM
A few revolutions is OK but definitely not above idle and not more than a few seconds.

After working on boats and using a hose that would attach to the oil cooler to draw water from a 5 gallon water bottle filled by a hose on FULL, I found that the Fake-A-Lake was a pale substitute and had a tendency to wither slip off or not be able to completely cover the grate. I don't like using a water source that I can't see and has a chance of falling off. If it's removable, I want it inside the boat where i can control it. The other way I did it is with a short hose section that was attached to the garden hose and temporarily attached to the oil cooler, using a hose clamp. This had a valve at the end of the garden hose to shut it off when done, so I didn't need to get out of the boat just for that.