PDA

View Full Version : Running tower spkr wiring on '04 X9

kdawg
06-04-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to best install tower mounted speakers on an '04 X9 with a Zero Flex tower.
Just bought the boat and have not seen an aftermarket installation so I am not sure what I am up against.

Does anyone have pictures they could share or advice that could be offered? It would be much appreciated.

My main concern is where to drill holes for the wiring and whether this will damage the integrity of the tower and the fiberglass.

It appears that I will need to do the following but I may be totally off base...
a) drill at the top of the tower to feed the wiring in the tube
b) then drill at the joint near the bottom of the upper tube (bringing the wiring outside the tube to bypass the joint/connector)
c) drill at the top of the lower tube section to have the wiring re-enter the lower tube
d) drill at the bottom of the lower tube to bring the wiring out of the lower tube, and finally
e) drill the fiberglass to run the wiring from its exit at the bottom of the lower tube to an entry point in the fiberglass which feeds down into the compartment behind the observers seat where the battery and amp resides.

DanC
06-05-2008, 11:31 AM
That's how I did my '03 except for d) and e). You can run the wiring right down the inside of the bottom leg and down through the mounting foot through the fiberglass. The mount of the tower leg has a hole in the bottom to accomodate the wiring. Unbolt the tower leg from the fiberglass and just losen the rest of the tower. You can then move the tower leg over enough to drill a hole through the fiberglass, directly under the hole in the bottom of the tower leg mounting surface.

2RLAKE
06-05-2008, 12:21 PM
thats it ... plan 4-6 hours. Run a shop vac while you are drilling to catch the aluminum chips. it also helps to have a friend. We get to do my friends '05 X9 at the lake soon ... great rainy day project

kdawg
06-05-2008, 06:53 PM
That's how I did my '03 except for d) and e). You can run the wiring right down the inside of the bottom leg and down through the mounting foot through the fiberglass. The mount of the tower leg has a hole in the bottom to accomodate the wiring. Unbolt the tower leg from the fiberglass and just losen the rest of the tower. You can then move the tower leg over enough to drill a hole through the fiberglass, directly under the hole in the bottom of the tower leg mounting surface.
Thanks, that info is very helpful. I have a couple of more questions.
About what size of drill bit did you have to use?
Is their special wiring necessary for marine type applications?
Did you just leave the wiring exposed in the places where you bypassed the joints?
Does the wiring cause any trouble if you ever need to lower the tower or did you just leave enough slack in it to avoid this?

BriEOD
06-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Sorry to jump in on someone's thread. My tower is wired exactly as DanC stated. However, the installer did not use quick disconnects for the wiring from the upper and lower tower pieces. In my situation, I cannot get the boat in the garage with the tower simply laid down. I have to remove the entire upper portion. With that said, I recommend quick disconnects and also am curious what (or if) you guys have used anything specific?

Thx

kdawg
06-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey - that's great info to know. So if I understand you correctly, you recommend using quick disconnects at the joints so the tower can be put up/down and or dismantled easily without the wiring causing any issues.

DanC
06-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks, that info is very helpful. I have a couple of more questions.
About what size of drill bit did you have to use?
Is their special wiring necessary for marine type applications?
Did you just leave the wiring exposed in the places where you bypassed the joints?
Does the wiring cause any trouble if you ever need to lower the tower or did you just leave enough slack in it to avoid this?

Don't remember what size drill bit I used. I picked one that was just big enough to put 6 wires through. I used the two pin trailer connectors on one side. I figured if they can stand up to the environment of the trailer, they would work on the tower. I used the factory connector (also available at auto parts stores) on the other side. Both have worked fine for me.