PDA

View Full Version : Boat Buddy Parts

Bugsrus
04-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Has anyone ever purchased replacement parts for their boat buddy? When I bought the boat last year all of the guts of the boat buddy are missing. Still has the plastic bumper though. Can you buy these parts (pin, spring, ect), or do I have to buy another whole assembly? Who do I get it from?

east tx skier
04-13-2005, 01:49 PM
try www.boatersworld.com. You can get a new boat buddy for about $40--$50 if memory serves.

Farmer Ted
04-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Speaking of Boat Buddy....

I wonder why they don't make one that won't mark up the boat when you drive it on the trailer.

I got a keel roller that is clear, they should be able to make a Boat Buddy out of the same material.

east tx skier
04-13-2005, 03:20 PM
That's when I'll buy another one. I'm using a non-maring bow roller and have been happy not to have to mess with those little black marks. Somebody on here carpeted his boat buddy to get around this problem.

mika
04-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Carpet on the boat buddy what an awesome idea. I am lucky I dont have to trailer much so mine is still perfect.

brady1022
04-13-2005, 04:40 PM
They make poly rollers and all of the accessories. Check out West Marine, they're a bit pricy, but worth it. -Brady

east tx skier
04-13-2005, 06:18 PM
You're not talking about a poly boat buddy though, are you?

jletoo
04-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Can call them? 1-800-74-buddy..I have a spare if you cant fine one thats reasonably priced..

mcprostar197
04-13-2005, 09:24 PM
this is an odd question i guess, but what is the "boat buddy" thing everyone is talking about?

peason
04-13-2005, 10:24 PM
It is a latch system that is spring operated when your eye hook touches the contact, a bolt goes through the middle of your eye hook and catches. Thus, you are hooked and the driver can pull the boat out of the water.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?&mode=article&objectID=28914&cat=&subcatID=0&objectType=article

mcprostar197
04-13-2005, 10:34 PM
does it come stock on MC trailers or do you have to buy and install it seperately?

AirJunky
04-13-2005, 10:55 PM
As I recall the company is based in Ft Worth, TX. Great customer support too. But I looked it up in Google & the phrase "boat buddy" comes up with boatloads of entries.

east tx skier
04-14-2005, 11:47 AM
It's stock. I'd call it necessary equipment on a closed bow boat. On an open bow, I've gone the route of replacing it with something that doesn't put black marks all over my boat. It's just too easy with the OB to walk up to the front and hook up the winch.

tex
04-14-2005, 12:22 PM
here is the info on boat buddy

www.kodiaktrailer.com

1600 Sand Drive
Fort Worth Texas 76118
817-284-2324
800-742-8339
Ask for Kevin.

DanC
04-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Boat buddy with an after market clip-on carpet purchased at my dealer.

erkoehler
04-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Does the carpet keep all the marks off?

jsonova99
04-14-2005, 03:20 PM
can you buy just the plastic piece, mine is torn. I'll have to try the carpet, mine has a lot of marks where it hits the boat buddy

erkoehler
04-14-2005, 03:22 PM
somebody said you can get the whole unit for like $40, so is it worth it just to replace the plastic?

jsonova99
04-14-2005, 03:22 PM
oh, I missed that, you're right.

erkoehler
04-14-2005, 03:24 PM
whatever I can do to help! :D

milkmania
04-14-2005, 03:24 PM
my boat buddy is my buddy:headbang:

as stated earlier, almost a must have for closed bow!

it keeps my other boat buddy happy:love:

and we all know when the other boat buddy's not happy......nobody's happy:rant:

jsonova99
04-14-2005, 03:25 PM
I should have my new trailer coming next week, I'll have to put one on it.

DanC
04-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Does the carpet keep all the marks off?

Yes, no marks at all with the carpet.

milkmania
04-14-2005, 03:26 PM
hehe....mental note

rug burns:purplaugh

erkoehler
04-14-2005, 03:27 PM
:headbang: :woohoo:

NeilM
04-14-2005, 10:35 PM
can you buy just the plastic piece, mine is torn. I'll have to try the carpet, mine has a lot of marks where it hits the boat buddy

Plastic piece (called a shroud) is $16.40 USD from Kodiak, which in my case, worked out to $CDN106.00 :( after they shipped it DHL overnight (I wanted snailmail ground) to me.

I like the carpet idea, too.

erkoehler
04-14-2005, 11:16 PM
For 16.40, I would buy the new piece, and take it over to an upholstery shop and have it covered so that it will last a LONG time.

NeilM
04-15-2005, 11:02 AM
For 16.40, I would buy the new piece, and take it over to an upholstery shop and have it covered so that it will last a LONG time.

Great idea.

rph21
06-13-2005, 12:37 AM
which boat buddy do you get? There is two different numbers, one for 21' and under and 21' and over?

tex
06-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Bass Pro Shops carry them.

Jaysonsmith
06-22-2005, 02:06 AM
I hit mine too hard a few seasons back and bent the upright. It finally broke the other day just under where the winch is welded on. I rebuilt the upright and reinforced it with an angled bar that goes from the main trailer beam up to just below where the boat buddy is. Now the boat doesn't touch the front V (carpeted support) under the bow. It's resting on the boat buddy and the main beds. Anyone see a problem with this? Also, the shaft assembly of the buddy bent when the upright broke. Any hope of repair or should I just replace?

east tx skier
06-22-2005, 11:33 AM
When I replaced my boat buddy with a non-marring bow roller, the boat rested off the v-bunks on the roller. I replaced the 1/2" composite v-bunks with 1" thick plywood cut to the same deminsions in the other directions. Worked like a charm. Just figure out how much room you lack and beef up the v-bunks would be my suggestion. They don't hold a lot of the weight, but how ever much it is, the v bunks spread it out a lot better than the boat buddy can.

BriEOD
06-22-2005, 11:34 AM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=0001975011046a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText=boat+buddy&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jhtml.22&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=boat+buddy&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jhtml

Boat Buddy I - 3/8"

robisjo
06-22-2005, 12:54 PM
DanC, I like the after market clip on carpet for the boat buddy. I live in N. CA as well and was wondering what dealer you pruchased it from?

dtstx
06-27-2005, 09:26 AM
The one on my trailer was not working when I bought the boat. I took it off and was able to bend it back and it works great now....not sure how long it will last...

east tx skier
10-06-2006, 01:00 PM
For what it's worth, while I've not seen the guts of boat buddy alone for sale. You can buy just the shroud for boat buddy II from www.mymastercraft.com. They didn't have it in stock, but ordered it. Cost was $26 plus shipping.

/yes, I realize I've spouted my dislike from some of Boat Buddy's "features," but have decided to give a carpeted version one last try.
//I'm ashamed of myself.

TMCNo1
10-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Has anyone ever purchased replacement parts for their boat buddy? When I bought the boat last year all of the guts of the boat buddy are missing. Still has the plastic bumper though. Can you buy these parts (pin, spring, ect), or do I have to buy another whole assembly? Who do I get it from?

I know for a fact, that MC has plenty of these in stock at the factory and any dealer can order one for you, if he doesn't already have one in stock at his dealership. Most larger local dealerships of any kind also have them on display for purchase.

Tom023
10-06-2006, 02:04 PM
When my boat buddy broke last year I took it apart and fixed it, and I was amazed at how "lightly" it is constructed. I can't imagine trying to purchase parts for it, because it is a very simple design that really isn't user serviceable. I view it as a disposable item when it breaks...which is what I will do next time it does.

TMCNo1
10-06-2006, 02:40 PM
For what it's worth, while I've not seen the guts of boat buddy alone for sale. You can buy just the shroud for boat buddy II from www.mymastercraft.com. They didn't have it in stock, but ordered it. Cost was $26 plus shipping.

/yes, I realize I've spouted my dislike from some of Boat Buddy's "features," but have decided to give a carpeted version one last try.
//I'm ashamed of myself.
We forgive you Doug, it happens to all of us at one time or the other!:eek: :D

Tryin-again
10-06-2006, 03:32 PM

//I'm ashamed of myself.

OK, Eastie - NOW you have to tell us how you like it.. I have been putting it off - mainly because of your problems with it - If Harold's carpet fix works well enough I may have to spring for one when I winterize......;)

east tx skier
10-06-2006, 03:32 PM
I'd still prefer if they'd make a poly shroud for the boat buddy. But for $30, I'll give it another shot. I would not have dropped $70 on a new one, that's for sure.

east tx skier
10-06-2006, 03:35 PM
OK, Eastie - NOW you have to tell us how you like it.. I have been putting it off - mainly because of your problems with it - If Harold's carpet fix works well enough I may have to spring for one when I winterize......;)

Oh, they work fine and are convenient. With a closed bow boat, I'd call it a necessity. And the carpet fix will work (I just don't like the way it looks). My shroud was damaged (exposed metal) and I didn't consider it worth dropping $67 + shipping to replace since I can walk up through the bow and hook the boat up pretty easily. It was worth $30 to give it another go. I wouldn't have bought a whole new one.

TMCNo1
10-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Oh, they work fine and are convenient. With a closed bow boat, I'd call it a necessity. And the carpet fix will work (I just don't like the way it looks). My shroud was damaged (exposed metal) and I didn't consider it worth dropping $67 + shipping to replace since I can walk up through the bow and hook the boat up pretty easily. It was worth $30 to give it another go. I wouldn't have bought a whole new one.

Doug, you don't have to cover the whole thing with carpet, just the areas of the "V" and the about a 1/2" out onto the flat. Tape and paper off the outside area you don't want glue on and spray with 3M High Tack #76 on the housing and on the carpet, let dry in the sun for about a 1/2 hour and attach. Precut the carpet to conform to the area before spraying glue. Before you remove the tape after the glue dries good on the housing, lightly score the glue at the tape with a X-acto knife or razor blade to keep the tape from pulling on the glue when you remove the tape. I edged my carpet, front and sides, with the weave portion of black, self adhesive Velcro to dress up the edge of the carpet and finish it off and it's been that way for 9 years now.

east tx skier
10-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks, Harold! Probably may be a while before I see it as they had to order it.

east tx skier
10-09-2006, 12:32 PM
I'd still prefer if they'd make a poly shroud for the boat buddy. But for $30, I'll give it another shot. I would not have dropped $70 on a new one, that's for sure.

Well, it appears I spoke too soon. Saw the charge on my bank statement this morning and placed a call to the parts department of MC Charlotte about it. They are, as expected, being very helpful in trying to get this order cancelled. Since they did not have one in stock, they had to get it shipped from MC. MC is charging shipping of $25 on this $26 product. We're talking about the boat buddy shroud (no guts included). Does that sound like something that should cost $25 to ship?

Looks like I'm sticking with the bow roller. I could practically buy a new boat buddy for what it would cost me to get just the shroud this way.

east tx skier
10-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Update.

Apparently, there is a drop shipment fee charged by MC when something is not in stock. I have emailed Greg Clower at MC customer relations to find out the specifics of this fee, but have not yet heard back.

As such a fee (plus shipping) hardly makes it worth ordering a $26 part in my opinion, I will continue make use of the bow roller. Once again, thanks to Mike ("MYMC") at MC of Charlotte for helping cancel this order before it left Vonore (under armed guard no doubt ;)). He continues to provide a benchmark of customer service and is a credit to the MasterCraft brand name.

As to the necessity of this fee, which I do not recall when purchasing other drop shipped items, i.e., skins, I am eagerly awaiting the courtesy of a reply to my question from MC customer relations.

dapicatti
10-12-2006, 12:03 AM
I was just asking my wife to post a thread about carpeting the boat buddy. Thanks for all the great info. I am tired of all the dark grey marks on my white hull. Love the boat buddy, not so much the marks.

dapicatti
10-12-2006, 12:04 AM
Yes, my wife reads the forum too.

TMCNo1
01-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Doug, you don't have to cover the whole thing with carpet, just the areas of the "V" and the about a 1/2" out onto the flat. Tape and paper off the outside area you don't want glue on and spray with 3M High Tack #76 on the housing and on the carpet, let dry in the sun for about a 1/2 hour and attach. Precut the carpet to conform to the area before spraying glue. Before you remove the tape after the glue dries good on the housing, lightly score the glue at the tape with a X-acto knife or razor blade to keep the tape from pulling on the glue when you remove the tape. I edged my carpet, front and sides, with the weave portion of black, self adhesive Velcro to dress up the edge of the carpet and finish it off and it's been that way for 9 years now.

Doug, here is a picture of what I was talking about in the above post,

teddy
01-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Nicely done Number 1

Chief
01-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Update.

Apparently, there is a drop shipment fee charged by MC when something is not in stock. I have emailed Greg Clower at MC customer relations to find out the specifics of this fee, but have not yet heard back.

As such a fee (plus shipping) hardly makes it worth ordering a $26 part in my opinion, I will continue make use of the bow roller. Once again, thanks to Mike ("MYMC") at MC of Charlotte for helping cancel this order before it left Vonore (under armed guard no doubt ;)). He continues to provide a benchmark of customer service and is a credit to the MasterCraft brand name.

As to the necessity of this fee, which I do not recall when purchasing other drop shipped items, i.e., skins, I am eagerly awaiting the courtesy of a reply to my question from MC customer relations.

Yes I agree east, Mike is the standard that all dealers should measure themselves.