PDA

View Full Version : tranny fluid in my hull

carisch
06-04-2008, 03:35 PM
New user here, first time posting. Hello to all.

Anyone seen transmission fluid in thier hull each time the drain it? I've taken my '96 225 VRS to two shops and neither helped at all.

Whether I run the boat or not, there is a noticable amount of fluid in my hull after a couple days.

carisch
06-04-2008, 03:38 PM
I have many small problems and forgot to ask another one high on my list. At low speeds, I always have a whine coming from engine compartment. Sounds to me like belts, but I'm not sure where to start to find what's loose. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian.

thijs
06-04-2008, 03:53 PM
That whine sounds like it could be the tranny. I would check the tranny cooler lines and look at the overall tranny to see if you can see where the fluid is coming from. Make sure to clean it up very well and that the fluid is full (ALWAYS!). NExt go out for the day or a few hours and check to see where your tranny is seeping. Good luck.

Oh yeah, and welcome. There is a plethera of knowledge (and vultures) in here.

dsoby
06-04-2008, 03:59 PM
I have a friend who had a leaking transmission cooler hose. This will cause fluid in the bilge.

sdesmond
06-04-2008, 04:01 PM
This happened to me last week and it ended up being the hose that goes from the tranny to the cooler. it split where the fitting meets the hose. I replaced it and all was well. No mkore fluid in the hull.

bigmac
06-04-2008, 06:15 PM
If you're lucky, it will indeed be a leaking hose to the transmission cooler. That's the tubular structure that is usually the first thing that the raw water pump output hose connects to. Find that structure, the find the two transmission hoses that come off of it, check them visually for splits or obvious leaks. If you don't see any leaks there, run the boat up to temp in the water, then inspect them for red ATF dripping.

If you're unlucky, it will be one transmission seal or the other.

The whine...I don't know. Could be belts, could be transmission. I can't hear it from here.;)

carisch
06-04-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't think I'll be lucky. This isn't a simple hose leak. It has been to two mechanics, with no progress.

It doesn't require the boat to be run to occur. I could wipe the hull clean, then let the boat sit for a week. There will be fluid directly below the transmission.

I guess I need to see an authorized dealer.?.

Thanks,

Brian.

Hunterb
06-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Take your hand and run it under the output shaft (basically right where the prop shaft attaches). My bet is you come up with oil on your hand. The output shaft seal is a very common place for leaks on these transmissions. It's not a terrible job to replace it, the tranny can stay in the boat. If you have done any seal replacing before it's not a bad job.

Bruce