PDA

View Full Version : Bad Fuel Pump?

Heinhideout
06-02-2008, 08:18 PM
I am a newbie! I am not getting any gas to the engine of my 2003 X-2. I have the 350Hp engine. I have tried the Shrader valve and no gas there. Followed it back to the top of the intank fuel pump. Disconnected the lines from the engine and turn on the pump. It seems to turn on, but no gas is pumped out. Is it a bad fuel pump?

School Skier
06-02-2008, 08:47 PM
More than likely. Did you check you're fuel filter? Seems like the boat is too new to have that kind of a problem. I've heard from the MasterCraft techs don't run your tank too far down it's tough on the internal pumps. I just had the fuel pump replaced late last summer with over 900 hours on it, that pump on my 97 190 is an external pump. You might want to be careful so there is no debrie in the fuels you are using. I had a bad experience, now whenever we portable fuel to the boat in 6 gallon tank we filter it through a Mr. Gas it holds out debrie and water. Water is always with us on boats no matter what.
Good Luck!

Heinhideout
06-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks! I did run it low and had heard that may have taken its toll. The boat is fairly new, but I have over 600 hrs on it. Another stupid question of course. Fuel filter is at bottom of the pump? I see the two tabs on each side of the filter, how do you remove?

School Skier
06-02-2008, 08:58 PM
My filter has easy access I just needed a special wrench to get it off. The filter is above the pump so I don't know if I'll be much help to you. I'm only experienced with my 97 nothing newer.

Heinhideout
06-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks! Pretty sure its the filter at the bottom of the pump. Not quite sure how to get it off....

bigmac
06-02-2008, 11:52 PM
The in-tank fuel pump in that 2003 is problematic. You can try changing the filter, but it's a 10 micron filter, and if it's plugged to the point where the pump won't pressurize the line, it also means there hasn't been enough fuel through it cool it and the pump/impeller is fried. The fuel filters on those things are preventive maintenance items, not repair items, IMHO.

Heinhideout
06-03-2008, 08:09 AM
So put it in and suck it up! The new pump is on its way...Thanks all!

sk8salomon
06-03-2008, 10:56 AM
just thought i'd cross post this. i thought my fp was bad until i actually removed the pump assy from the tank. turns out, the hose from the pump itself to the manifold where the main line plugs in had broken. fuel was basically pumping up the tube and splashing back into the tank.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=23709

sizzler
06-03-2008, 12:03 PM
have had a thread on the same subject on here......

am on my 3rd fuel pump due to my ex-wife being.......well you know...

my advice is ...dont let your tank run dry...you effectively have only 3/4 capacity......

how much are the petrol pumps over in the states.....

rgds

Heinhideout
06-03-2008, 04:08 PM
yeah, tank was close to being empty....Price for "petrol" on the lake is $4.45USD/Gallon.....At the station it is $3.85....Ouch in either case! Thanks!

sizzler
06-04-2008, 04:54 AM
yeah, tank was close to being empty....Price for "petrol" on the lake is $4.45USD/Gallon.....At the station it is $3.85....Ouch in either case! Thanks!

no ,how much do the replacement pumps cost????:D:D

bigmac
06-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Mine ended up being replaced under warranty, so I don't recall what it cost, but IIRC they're about $500 USD from what others have said here.

There are some threads on TT from some guys who have found a replacement pump cartridge only at an auto parts store and they were able to just replace that part of the assembly. Those were about $250. I can't remember the part number, and I don't know how that ultimately worked out for them.

Tom023
06-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Somebody posted this once:

If just replacing the actual pump, not the entire unit, an alternative to the $500 unit from Indmar is an AC Delco EP356 best part is it costs $139.91. You have to take the pump housing out of the tank than carefully pull the pump out. Take the rubber holder off the old one install the rubber holder on the new one reinstall it in the holder put it back in the tank. It pressures at 45# non regulated and when you hook the pressure regulator back up it holds it at 42# psi. My dealer advised against it but with the factory units backordered and the fact that its specs and dimensions are the same we figured thatís all MC does is get a pump to fit the Carter holder.

And here it is for $89.56
http://www.oehq.com/index2.cfm?showpage=utility/partsearch2.cfm&partno=EP356&vendor=ACD

Heinhideout
06-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Just to validate the cost....$466 with tax and shipping for the pump.