PDA

View Full Version : Propeller installation?

scott06
06-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Have a Maristar 230, 2006. Had a blade disappear off a four blade prop (13.7 x 17V HC OJ) last Fall (25 feet of water, didn't remember or hear hitting anything) and the boat started vibrating. We idled/limped to the marina/restaurant a few hundred yards away and I jumped in the water and checked the prop and realized a blade was missing. After we got back to our dock, mine looked exactly like bigmac's from this thread:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9515&highlight=replace+propeller&page=5

I posted pictures of mine below. So, I dropped by OJ Props and Eric was great and now have a new prop, but can't figure out how to get it on the shaft. What is the trick? I didn't think I had to take off the rudder, but I can't quite get the prop on the shaft, the rudder is just slightly in the way. Any suggestions?

bigmac
06-02-2008, 06:36 PM
In order to get it on, you have to break a blade off first.

Just kidding. It's kind of a Chinese puzzle, involves sliding it up with rudder straight, rotating as you go until the hole lines up with the shaft. I don't recall the exact steps, but I remember thinking "@#$&* I'll have to remove the rudder" but after awhile, puzzled it out.

Chief
06-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Have your tried to turn the rudder all the way to the right or left? I haven't had to take my prop off my boat yet but with the slight offset I believe if you turn it one way or the other it will give you the room you need.

Or what mac says since he had to figure it out.

scott06
06-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Yeah, it was easy getting the broken prop off without that fourth blade :)

Thanks for the replies from you both. I was working on it yesterday and tried turning the rudder all the way left and all the way right. I got close when the rudder was turned slightly off of centerline about an inch (forward part of the rudder pointing to port, aft part of the rudder pointing to starboard) and then rotating the prop a little as I guided it up to the shaft. The main thing I needed to know is if there was a trick, because it felt like I was tackling a rubik's cube. It also made me feel good when the dealer said "oh it just slides on, no problem!"

Edit: Add update

I got the prop on, but ended up taking the rudder off. I just couldn't find enough clearance to get the hub of the prop between the rudder and the shaft. Getting the rudder off was very easy although scary, since the boat is on a lift and I was worried about dropping parts in the lake. In brief, in case anyone else reads this in the future, to take off the rudder, remove the the cotter pin, unbolt the rudder control lever attachment from the top of the rudder, then slide the rudder down and remember to catch the small square peg that fits in the groove in the top shaft of the rudder before the peg falls in the lake. Have someone else underneath the boat to catch the rudder and peg when you unbolt it from the control rod because it should slide straight down very easily. So, with help from my son in a canoe under the boat, it went fine and taking the rudder off, putting the new prop on, and replacing the rudder was fairly easy to do.