PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen

BriEOD
08-09-2004, 07:18 PM
I've been using this for years. It's the poop, alcohol based, no white suncreen that is a pain to rub in. Check it out:

http://www.bullfrogsunscreen.com/about.asp

MarkP
08-09-2004, 07:36 PM
I keep forgetting some of you guys have fair skin,:o .. This is what I use. http://www.olio2go.com/catalog/catalog.htm

bcampbe7
08-09-2004, 07:50 PM
That is some expensive sunscreen Mark!!!

MarkP
08-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Bc

That link didnít work

You gotta click on the olive oil on the left and itís the second one down..

Badia a Coltibuono Albereto Unfiltered (Organic) (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BCA-001)

That stuff rocks. Plus, you can use it internally. :friday:

BriEOD
08-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Mark,
Are you using that to cook dinner or yourself? :D

jake
08-09-2004, 09:52 PM
Little known fact...we actually use Bullfrog as a UV inhibitor for exotic woods that tend to change colors over time (patina) to keep the new/bright look. For example, paduk which is bright orange when you first mill it, but changes to dark brown over time. With the bullfrog, since it's alcohol based, you can get a nice even coat on the raw wood before your chosen finish (wax, lacquer, etc.) and it keeps the wood nice and bright for years. Good stuff :toast:

JimN
08-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Jake- are you the guy who made a replacement teak platform from the old site, whose family has a woodworking business? I'm looking for a good source of hardwoods and hardwood veneered, cabinet grade plywood. Who do you use and do they have a website with prices?

jimmer2880
08-10-2004, 06:20 AM
We've been using bullfrog for a couple years now.... that stuff is bullet-proof! I apply once in the morning & it lasts all day long! They have some facial stuff that looks like a big chap-stick tube. That is very nice also.

BriEOD
08-10-2004, 06:56 AM
I have the "stick" also. But the SPF 36 in the gray bottle is awesome! I'm pretty fair skinned, and that stuff is awesome. Not to expensive either $6-7 a pop.

jake
08-10-2004, 08:46 AM
JimN: yep, that's me. I buy all my hardwood through Youngblood Lumber in Minneapolis http://www.youngbloodlumber.com/

They don't have a published price list, but will deal with you, give them a call. They primarily supply businesses, so I'm sure prices vary depending on the amount of business you do with them. My father runs a fair amount of business through them, so I get a pretty good discount through him.

They do custom milling as well, so you can get just about any pre-milled dimension hardwood you can think of. They also have a great selection of exotics, and usually have 500-1000 feet of the popular exotics planed and ready to go. They tend to carry the popular woods in thicknesses up to 3 inches, most places don't carry these dimensions anymore.

If you're looking for a deal, they often have mixed lengths at a discount. Depends what your project is, but I use them lots of times for furniture. Cabinet shops don't want 5-6 foot lengths, but they usually work fine for furniture projects and you can save a little bit.

They are also a dealer for lots of plastic surface materials...swanstone, fountainhead, formica, others.

For hardwood plywood (have to be honest, I don't use much hardwood) we go to home depot for the standards (oak, birch, maple)....belive it or not. They have the best prices around, it just takes a little bit to dig through their pile to get some nice grain. For harder to find plywoods (Cherry, hickory, etc) we go to Lake Elmo Hardwood Lumber http://www.lehardwood.com/.

For veneer, I go to Rockler. Prices are high, but they have a great selection of exotics, and we know the guy that runs the place so he gives us a little price break. Their quality is great, even if they are a little expensive.

OhioProstar
08-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Panama Jack Throphy Oil

east tx skier
08-10-2004, 10:38 AM
We keep a bottle of No-Ad 40-45 on the boat at all times. Bullfrog is unbeatable, but we just use it on the face. Wife and I are both fair skinned, but she, being a redhead, is more fair skinned than I.

DanC
08-10-2004, 11:52 AM
Bullfrog, :toast: best "waterproof" properties that I have found. With the original formula, one drop goes a long way. Found out about it from surfers a quite a few years ago.

Knoxes
08-10-2004, 12:15 PM
I hardly ever use it and frequently pay the price. In fact, I'm peeling right now.

BriEOD
08-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Well I have blondish/reddish hair and am pretty fair skin. I use a LOT of sunscreen. BullFrog is the best thing I've found and I love the Gel. You just drop a bit in your hand, rub it on in one swipe and forget about it.

east tx skier
08-10-2004, 02:31 PM
"... and forget about it." Except what's left over on your hand and almost impossible to get rid of. :D

MarkP
08-20-2004, 10:40 AM
ANTIOXIDANTS

You could actually taste antioxidants in pungent olive oil, which kind of "burns" your throat once tasted because it contains tocopherols and ponyphenols. Pouring some of this oil freshly on cooked food may have a dual effect: it enhances its flavor and is actaully good for you.

In olive oil, antioxidants could be so potent that they are also used for external health care and folk medicine. (treating a sunburn with good, strong extra virgin olive oil, it will hasten healing and could prevent skin cancer later on). Also, removing make up with extra virgin oil enhances skin texture and health.

http://www.eusonya.com/www/index.cfm?action=catalog.browse&category=About%20Certified%20olive%20oils&id_category=9039cc55-e873-4130-b254-189efd814636#TASTING

BriEOD
08-20-2004, 01:03 PM
I hear ya, but my olive oil is staying in the kitchen. Bring out the BullFrog!

MarkP
08-20-2004, 01:05 PM
I think I should move this over the food thread:o

jimmer2880
08-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Tx - Since I use dish-soap mixed with water for binding slime, after I apply the bull-frog, I wash my hands with the binding lube mix. Comes right off. Not hard at all. Pure water won't cut it - you need soap, but not much.

NeilM
08-23-2004, 10:18 PM
Brian,

Bullfrog is hard to find up here and very expensive. Some friends of ours (from San Diego) introduced us to it several years ago. Great stuff, though...

I've switched the "no Ad" waterproof SPF 30 - a few coats a day, plus the bimini, and I'm protected (and money ahead).

east tx skier
08-27-2004, 11:52 AM
That No-Ad stuff works fine provided you reapply a lot. It's cheap enough and comes in big enough bottles to make sense. There's always two bottles of it somewhere in our boat.