PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day!

Chaser_rct
06-02-2008, 07:54 AM
So i finished my resto project and took my 81 to the lake for the first time. I totally redid the interior but have done no motor work other than simple maintance. It has ran fine in drive-way test so i figured i would run ok on the water to......NO. Backed it into the water and it fired up fine...let it warm up and idled past the no wake zone and eased on the throttle. It ran fine for a little piece but i noticed a funny smell and turned around and headed back. I got close to the dock and it sputtered to a stop. I let it set for a min then tried to start it back. The starter made a terrible noise like it wasn't engaging so i let off the key. I tried it again and it tried to turn but would not move. I am hoping that either one...the flywheel is missing some teeth and has caused it to bind up some way or another or maybe the timing chain is off?? Needless to say i was left stranded and frustrated and hoping the motor isn't locked up in it because im sure that aint cheap. Any thoughts on my situation...has this happened to anyone on here. 81 stars and stripes with 351W.

KnoxX2
06-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Could be a few things......!
Battery bad with a bad alternator!
Carb could need a rebuild.

Chaser_rct
06-02-2008, 10:01 AM
i know its not the battery it was brand new and alt showed 12 volts and would still run with positive cable removed in driveway tests....i dont think the carb would cause it to lock and not crank would it. The starter will try and engage and sometimes it will just spin and then the next time it will lock and not hardly budge.

KnoxX2
06-02-2008, 10:04 AM
I was thinking Carb because you said that it dieded on you.
Sounds like you know your first step then...... Starter!!!

Chaser_rct
06-02-2008, 10:14 AM
yea im gonna remove it tonight and have a look around im hoping its the starter or flywheel missing teeth as opposed to a locked up motor. If its the motor i have a 81 with fresh interior for sale lol

Hunterb
06-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Need a little more info to help really but I would think that pulling the starter and checking it out would be wise even though it doesn't sound like that's your original problem. With the starter out you could put a long handled wrench on the crank pulley bolt and try to turn the motor by hand. If no go then pull the plugs and try again. If water squirts out one or more of the cylinders then you'll know your problem. If the motor is hydrolocked it may not be a catastrophic problem. It could be as simple as a gasket.

Do some checking and report back what you find. I'm sure someone here will be able to help you figure it out.

Good luck. Hope it's not serious.

Bruce

Chaser_rct
06-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks Bruce i am gonna pull the starter tonight and follow your advice i will report back my findings! So if it is hydrolocked does that mean the motor is trash??

gigem75
06-02-2008, 02:34 PM
How was your oil pressure?

Chaser_rct
06-02-2008, 02:41 PM
I didn't notice it on the lake but in previous driveway tests it was fine

Hunterb
06-03-2008, 01:02 PM
If it's hydrolocked it does not mean it's trashed by any means. It does mean you will have to take some parts off to figure out why it's locked. It could be as simple as a leak in the exhaust manifold(s). You mentioned a funny smell. Did it overheat? You should check you impeller to make sure it's still good. Sometimes an overheated motor will behave really badly until it cools down and then will be alright again, as long as you sort out why it overheated.

Good luck.

Bruce