PDA

View Full Version : 87 Prostar Won't start

87MCProstar
06-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Finally gave in and had my uncle come over and take a look at the motor. He solved my power issues and now are getting 12v to everything that needs it. The motor wants to start put isn't getting any spark at the coil which is new, even though power is there both in the on and start position of the key. He thinks, though not much experience with them, the electornic module in the distributor went bad. Does that sound like a possibility, or does anyone have another idea of what it could be. I didn't want to spend the 150+ bucks on something I can't return if there are other avenues to check first. Thanks

Gamble
06-01-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm assuming w/the problem you're having w/the coil....you're not getting fire to your plug wires? Could the coil be bad?

sk8salomon
06-02-2008, 12:04 AM
so this boat HAS been upgraded to electronic ignition?

87MCProstar
06-02-2008, 08:21 AM
yes this boat was upgraded with e.i. b4 i bought the boat almost 10 yrs ago. that is exactly what is happening, not getting any fire to the wires. with a test light we are getting power to the coil and when the key is turned to start the light is flashing on the negative side. this could be as simple as a faulty ignition coil?? even though its new.