PDA

View Full Version : What is the best method to run tower speaker wires?

bturner2
06-01-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm getting ready to install some tower speakers on my 03 X2. I have mounted the amp added the sub woofer and am now ready to buy and install the tower speakers. I've noticed that the boats with factory installed speakers have the wires running through the tower mounts but have no clue how they actually did this. Has anyone done this installation and if so how did you go about doing it? Thank you for any suggestions you have.....

1boarder
06-01-2008, 09:51 AM
kite string and a vacuum cleaner. drill your holes and run the kit string in the top hole and use gravity and the vacuum on the lower hole to pull it through. then use the string to pull your wire through. It is teadious but doable.

2RLAKE
06-01-2008, 10:09 AM
I just used the kite string and shop vac on a 140' run for our new pool ... it works great.

Crawl under the observer seat and locate where the tower mount bolts go through the fiberglass .... there should be ~1/4 - 3/8" hole in the middle for the wires. If you have no wires you might want to carefully enlarge the hole using a 1/2" drill bit.

Now, get ready for some time ... start pulling wires. I recommed pulling 4 sets of wires for 4 tower speakers ... even if you only install one pair now, get the wiring out of the way. Depending on the speakers, you need to drill holes in the tower for the speaker mounts and the wires. start running wires from there to the end of the tower leg (flip the tower down) ... then from there through the lower tower leg and through the fiberglass. Get that kite string though first, then attach stronger string, such as mason's string, pull that through, then attach the speaker wires to the string and start pulling ... stagger the wires ad attach to the string with electrical tape ... couple hours and you're done ... helps to have a friend do it with you.

bturner2
06-03-2008, 09:34 AM
I was under the area by the stereo a couple weeks back and didn't notice any holes by the tower mount. I'll be back at the boat on Friday and look again. I'll also check to see how they got the wiring through for the tower light on the driver's side. Is the tower mount pre drilled? I hope so. I really don't want to have to take the tower off if possible.